Author Topic: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?  (Read 10523 times)

Re: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2023, 06:10:05 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I'm ok moving Smart and sliding PP into the guard rotation.
I would absolutely prefer we do this, but I know we won't, because we're run by morons.

Very frustrating. Haven't felt this personally annoyed about us shipping out a player for a while. Can't wait for Pritchard to light us up for the next decade a la Ish Smith

Are you honestly saying that you would rather have a poor man's Ish Smith than Marcus Smart on the roster?

C'mon. At least Ish was fast.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2023, 07:18:56 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/celtics-payton-pritchard-reportedly-wants-a-trade-this-summer/ar-AA1c01er?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b8dd2cfddbd9400893155d09dec201c0&ei=11

Looks like PP has basically requested a trade.  I still think Utah and Danny is his destination.

Here's where the salary cap and my lack of understanding of it come into play.  Can we trade PP for just a 1st?  Utah has three this year and may not want all three versus getting an experienced player that DA drafted.

No way PP nets the Cs a first maybe PP+35 for 28 but I’m not sure the value is there to just move up 7 spots.

I’m guessing PP is moved in a package or for a pick in the 40s and a future 2nd. This sounds under whelming but with new CBA I think 2nds have just gained more value

I absolutely think he can net the C's a late first, without them giving up the second.  Why?  Three year player on a playoff team and until Joe took this team over, played in 66 and 71 games his first two seasons.  In the playoffs in those first two seasons, he averaged right at 12MPG and 5PPG (without doing the actual math).  Now take a look at shooting % and you see what DA saw in him.  Now roll in Joe, drops to less than 5MPG and around 2-3PPG.

This is why he nets them a 1st round pick.  Joe wrecked this kid, and he needs a change of scenery.  With as many draft picks as the Jazz have accumulated, a Veteran PG may be just the ticket and it costs them a late first round pick and I might try for that mid first from them.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2023, 09:02:16 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Kornet and Pritchard for Keon Johnson and Trendon Watford. Basically trading PP for two young guys that have a little experience under their belt and see if they can take the next step to be contributors on a good team.

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2023, 09:03:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would absolutely prefer we do this, but I know we won't, because we're run by morons.

Very frustrating. Haven't felt this personally annoyed about us shipping out a player for a while. Can't wait for Pritchard to light us up for the next decade a la Ish Smith

Are you honestly saying that you would rather have a poor man's Ish Smith than Marcus Smart on the roster?

No. I’m saying I’d rather a Patty Mills level talent on fairly little coin than a Marcus Smart one on much bigger coin. But I’m higher on PP than most
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2023, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pritchard is not going to get much on the trade return, as I see it.

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2023, 11:30:03 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

No. I’m saying I’d rather a Patty Mills level talent on fairly little coin than a Marcus Smart one on much bigger coin. But I’m higher on PP than most
You can't just invoke the best Australian point guard the league has ever seen like that. It's against the rules of fair play.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2023, 06:33:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You can't just invoke the best Australian point guard the league has ever seen like that. It's against the rules of fair play.
You rang?

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2023, 06:43:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Anyone else think it is beyond silly that Payton asked for trade?   What is he going to do if we don't trade him, hold out playing?   That is the epitome of irony.

We have a contract, some people seem to think contracts do not apply to them.   

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2023, 07:10:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Pritchard is not going to get much on the trade return, as I see it.

Bag of stale popcorn found under couch

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2023, 07:11:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyone else think it is beyond silly that Payton asked for trade?   What is he going to do if we don't trade him, hold out playing?   That is the epitome of irony.

I don't mind if he or his agent do it in private.  I can understand Pritchard wanting different opportunities.

I really don't like that it went public, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2023, 08:00:16 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think everyone is undervaluing PP!  Personally, I think Brogdon is the one dealt and PP is kept and put into his role.  Right now, he's the best pure PG we have on the team.  He's also a 40% career 3PT shooter and averages just shy of 2 APG.  In his rookie season, when he started 28 games, he played 19MPG, shot 57/41 percent and averaged right at 8PPG.  Yeah, I'm dealing Brogdon ahead of PP and I'm trying to sign him to a good deal, what 8-10M per.  Maybe I then trade Smart too and let PP backup CP3!

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2023, 08:03:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think everyone is undervaluing PP!  Personally, I think Brogdon is the one dealt and PP is kept and put into his role.  Right now, he's the best pure PG we have on the team.  He's also a 40% career 3PT shooter and averages just shy of 2 APG.  In his rookie season, when he started 28 games, he played 19MPG, shot 57/41 percent and averaged right at 8PPG.  Yeah, I'm dealing Brogdon ahead of PP and I'm trying to sign him to a good deal, what 8-10M per.  Maybe I then trade Smart too and let PP backup CP3!

If we trade Brogdon, I'd rather play bigger instead of using a smaller backcourt. So I'd use Smart & D-White as my 1-2 punch at PG and use wings at SG and SF. So I'd play Hauser ahead of Pritchard in fillin those vacant minutes on the perimeter.

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2023, 08:12:53 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I have been a bit disappointed with Pritchard. I was hoping he would develop into an adequate starter. Something like Steve Blake. But Pritchard has not been a confident enough ball-handler or floor general. He has been very limited at both. Pritchard is a terrific shooter but his limitations offensively at PG and defensively (due to size) restrict him to bench player status.

I am watching an old Bulls game with a rookie BJ Armstrong. BJ had a good career in Chicago but he was only a league average backup PG outside of the Triangle offense. He just wasn't a good enough ball-handler, playmaker or floor general. Terrific shooter. Scrappy defender. A bit light-weight defensively but long arms and good pressure D. Reminds me of Pritchard although Pritchard does not have the length on D.

I'd say average bench player (or worse) is a fair appraisal of Pritchard. Useful but nothing I am going to worry about losing. If he wants to move on to get consistent PT elsewhere, fair enough.

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2023, 08:20:00 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Pritchard is closer to a SG than a PG. He really should’ve patterned his game after Eddie House, given that he’s got tremendous range and a sweet shooting stroke.

He’s upped his ball handling but he’s barely passable as a PG right now. A good change of pace player but just isn’t good enough to be an impact player. Now if he started moving off the ball and started splashing threes (instead of dominating the ball, probing, and taking stepbacks) he’d go up in the depth chart, I’d think.
- LilRip

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2023, 10:07:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't see a problem other than he went public with it. He's looking for playing time, and other than that he's been nothing but professional. He's not threatening the club or anything, he's merely trying to find a better opportunity for himself playing wise. I won't fault him for that at all.