Author Topic: Tom Brady announces retirement  (Read 5379 times)

Tom Brady announces retirement
« on: February 01, 2023, 08:25:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Will it stick this time?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Tom Brady announces retirement
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 08:26:59 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think so. He's not going to find a ready made situation like he did in Tampa after he left New England. He just didn't seem like he was having fun this year. Thanks for the memories, Tom. Definitely the GOAT as far as I'm concerned, we were privileged to watch him and cheer for him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 08:27:21 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
It will stick this time.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 08:31:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think so. He's not going to find a ready made situation like he did in Tampa after he left New England. He just didn't seem like he was having fun this year. Thanks for the memories, Tom.

Yeah.  I think he would have gotten opportunities -- most likely in Las Vegas -- but what's the point?  He eventually would have ended up looking like Willie Mays in a Mets uniform.

I wish for his sake that he'd done it a year ago, just because the narrative at least is that his return to football broke up his family.  But, it will be interesting to witness him in the next phase of his career as a broadcaster.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 08:35:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think he actually wanted to retire last year, I think that was borne by two things, trying to save his marriage and wanting out of Tampa.  Neither of those are at issue now as he is a free agent (and is divorced).  So I do think he is done.  I will say, I could totally see him signing with some team in training camp especially if someone gets hurt.  Like say Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts, etc. goes down with a season ending injury, I could see him stepping in for a season in that type of situation, but I do think he is done.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 08:45:06 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would be stunned if he back tracked again on a retirement announcement.  I suspect he is done for real this time.

I hated that he went to Tampa in the first place and it was salt in the wound that he won a super bowl there.  But as a Pat's fan, we got 20 years of winning football from him.  No other franchise has had a comparable run.  No other athlete in any sport has had a comparable run with 1 team.

Also, I bought my wife a top end Brady jersey several years back ($150!).  I have to say she looks pretty hot in it.  But it has been in the attic since Brady went to Tampa.  I think she will take the jersey back out now.

I salute Tom Brady and hope for him all the best.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 09:12:22 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't think he actually wanted to retire last year, I think that was borne by two things, trying to save his marriage and wanting out of Tampa.  Neither of those are at issue now as he is a free agent (and is divorced).  So I do think he is done.  I will say, I could totally see him signing with some team in training camp especially if someone gets hurt.  Like say Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts, etc. goes down with a season ending injury, I could see him stepping in for a season in that type of situation, but I do think he is done.

I think his agent shopped him around, and no team wanted him. If I remember correctly, only two teams wanted to sign him as a free agent when he left New England. Four years later, wouldn't you think his options would drop even further. He made the announcement now to save face.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Cue the one day contract with the Pats so he retire in the arms of Mr Kraft. 

He became a bit of a cartoon of himself, but good lord what a run.  Such a treat to have that treasure trove of championship and great moments as a fan of your hometown team.  Pats fans suffered a long time before he got here. 

Thanks for the memories Tom.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 09:28:25 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I think so. He's not going to find a ready made situation like he did in Tampa after he left New England. He just didn't seem like he was having fun this year. Thanks for the memories, Tom.

Yeah.  I think he would have gotten opportunities -- most likely in Las Vegas -- but what's the point?  He eventually would have ended up looking like Willie Mays in a Mets uniform.

I wish for his sake that he'd done it a year ago, just because the narrative at least is that his return to football broke up his family.  But, it will be interesting to witness him in the next phase of his career as a broadcaster.

That might be the narrative, but I don’t think it’s accurate. I think two high maintenance achievers in one house gets old quickly. It’s all conjecture, of course. We could guess that Gronk broke up the family. We don’t know what happened.

The Brady v Belichick debate is dumb. They were both awesome, and there’s no point in trying to guess who was more influential. Patriots fans were lucky to have both.

Brady is the best and brought tons of joy to my life. I wish him nothing but happiness for the remainder of his days.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 09:33:17 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I think his agent shopped him around, and no team wanted him. If I remember correctly, only two teams wanted to sign him as a free agent when he left New England. Four years later, wouldn't you think his options would drop even further. He made the announcement now to save face.

I doubt very much that Tom Brady needs to save any face.  As to his options if he wanted to play, I have no idea but it seemed to me that 1 year in San Fran made a lot of sense.  I don't think SF can win with Trey Lance, at least not next season.  The guys has never played.  In a way, he is less than a rookie.  But with Tom Brady for 1 season, they are the super bowl favorite.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 09:49:31 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
If it sticks can we finally talk about what a weird dude TB is, or do we need to wait a few years?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 09:50:15 AM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Have to admit I love the way he did it this time. Short and sweet video, lots of emotion and didn't let the talking heads like Adam Schefter steal his glory.

That said I am sure he would have kept playing if the right opportunity was available to him. I feel like he might have been all in on SF and they told him they are sticking with who they have.

My buddies and I actually went through the list of QB's in todays NFL, in terms of starting a team today with all 32 QB's available in their current state, with no other variables, no other players on that said team known. Two of us still had him top 10, the other had him 14th.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 09:53:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Will be interesting to see how Brady fits in the #1 FOX booth next year.

Olsen has been really good this season.   I actually think he's passed Romo as an analyst.   Rather than replacing Olsen with Brady, maybe they should just go 3 man booth.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 10:00:10 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I doubt very much that Tom Brady needs to save any face.  As to his options if he wanted to play, I have no idea but it seemed to me that 1 year in San Fran made a lot of sense.  I don't think SF can win with Trey Lance, at least not next season.  The guys has never played.  In a way, he is less than a rookie.  But with Tom Brady for 1 season, they are the super bowl favorite.

The 49ers have to play Lance next season, since they already invested something like 3 first round picks into him, and they need to see what kind of player he is before he becomes a free agent in one year. And Kyle Shannahan is not changing his system to accommodate Brady, like what Tampa did.

As for as saving face, Brady's plastic face would like a word.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 10:08:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
As for as saving face, Brady's plastic face would like a word.

Not sure I get the saving face thing.  He is the consensus GOAT.  Played better, longer than anyone ever.  He is 45 years old.  He played at a high level last season on a team that had OL issues.

I get that there is some lingering bitterness but there is nothing about his career as a football player that he has to "save".