Author Topic: Trade deadline contest 2023  (Read 43400 times)

Re: Trade deadline contest 2023
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2023, 09:59:17 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
My prediction is Mike Muscala to the Celtics for a second round pick swap.

Was this before???

Yep, he nailed it.

And it was an ideal in the greenly trade thread before this contest even 🤷‍♂️

Yes, but he made a single guess.  You’ve got a hundred trade ideas — one of them was bound to happen eventually.

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2023, 10:02:11 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
My prediction is Mike Muscala to the Celtics for a second round pick swap.

Was this before???

Yep, he nailed it.

And it was an ideal in the greenly trade thread before this contest even 🤷‍♂️

Yes, but he made a single guess.  You’ve got a hundred trade ideas — one of them was bound to happen eventually.

Yeah, I call Shenanigans.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2023, 11:27:09 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

Actually, I also called the Kemba for Horford deal, so that’s two of our three biggest trades since Brad took over, only overlooking the deal for D-White (I was blinded by the idea of getting Dejounte Murray). And even a broken clock is right twice per day, right? 🤣

Yeah, I call Shenanigans.

No shenanigans in this thread. I gave my six best submissions for the contest even before Kyrie demanded a trade, and got more points than anybody else in the contest this year (still kicking myself for not throwing out the KD trade to Phoenix)

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2023, 11:45:25 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Thanks for the 500 TPs and the title of "Trade Deadline Guru.” Will go great with the trade ideas thread 🤣

Sorry bud — think I have you beat. By quite a bit…. I have 15 points. And not sure what you mean by “8 Possible Points.” Why would it be capped there?

Justin Jackson traded = 2 points
James Wiseman traded = 1
Jakob Poeltl traded = 1
Jae Crowder traded = 1
Russell Westbrook to the Jazz = 2
Malik Beasley to the Lakers = 2
D’Angelo Russell to the Lakers = 2
Mike Conley to the Wolves = 2
Nikael Alexander-Walker to the Wolves = 2

I also called the precise trade Stevens offered to the Spurs before the Thunder deal was ever done…. Pop just didn’t take it, so we settled for Muscala.

Title Defense = Complete
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 12:06:53 AM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2023, 12:31:00 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Thanks for the 500 TPs and the title of "Trade Deadline Guru.” Will go great with the trade ideas thread 🤣

Sorry bud — think I have you beat. By quite a bit…. I have 15 points. And not sure what you mean by “8 Possible Points.” Why would it be capped there?

James Wiseman traded = 1
Jakob Poeltl traded = 1
Jae Crowder traded = 1

I also called the precise trade Stevens offered to the Spurs before the Thunder deal was ever done…. Pop just didn’t take it, so we settled for Muscala.

Title Defense = Complete

Well played.  ;D  TP to you.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2023, 12:48:01 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

James Wiseman traded = 1
Jakob Poeltl traded = 1
Jae Crowder traded = 1

Title Defense = Complete

Roy refers to a player, the player, not players—singular, not plural, references. The scoring is weighted more heavily towards us, not other players on other teams, since we’re obviously most interested in us. The singular references and weighting clearly imply a perfect score is 8 if you can somehow throw out six trade ideas and get all the points for each line item:

Two points for predicting the Celtic who is traded.

Two points for predicting the team he is traded to.

Two points for correctly predicting any specific asset we acquire (i.e., Jae Crowder; OKC #1; etc.  Cash does not count.)

One point for predicting a non-Celtic who is traded to another team. 

One point for predicting the team he is traded to.

Lines 4-5 only get you two of two possible points for the line items no matter how many non-Celtics to non-Celtics teams you get right (again, read the singular references). A literal interpretation is that 75% of the game is getting lines 1-3 right (since they are 6 of 8 possible points). Each line is a singular reference. The whole point is to figure out what the future holds for the Celtics, and then some non-Celtic tiebreakers are used to sort things out if needed.

For your scoring to work in your message above, the rules would have been written with plural references, not singular references, so something like this:

“One point for predicting each non-Celtic who is traded to another team. 

One point for predicting each team each non-Celtic is traded to.”

That game is obviously a lot easier to play than the 2023 game Roy outlined for us because some teams are not as tight-lipped as the Celtics, there’s obvious rumors all throughout the league, etc.

Although your forecasts of non-Celtics were impressive, a literal reading of the 2023 rules gives you 4 of 8 possible points since you correctly guessed Jackson would be shipped, but did not correctly guess to whom and for who/what. That part is clearly much harder to guess, so a reasonable interpretation is that those are the four points that were hardest to get in the game.

Frankly, I’m surprised nobody got all the points available on each line item. We’ve got some amazing folks in here, including you, Todd. I see exactly where you are coming from, but that’s not the rules. If your interpretation was correct, the rules would read something like this:

“Two points each time you predict a Celtic who is traded.

Two points each time you predict a team a Celtic is traded to.

Two points each time you correctly predict any specific asset we acquire (i.e., Jae Crowder; OKC #1; etc.  Cash does not count.)

One point each time you predict a non-Celtic who is traded to another team than Boston.

One point each time you predict the non-Celtic team a non-Celtic player is traded to.”
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:30:45 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2023, 01:34:31 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
That said, I would like to propose both Todd and I to be recognized as the victors of the contest given that Todd’s predictions were remarkable and would have won the contest had the rules been written differently than the literal interpretation. In other words, 500 TPs for each of us, and each of us gets the title “Trade Deadline Guru.” It’ll be like the time Brett Favre defended his MVP title but had to share the MVP with Barry Sanders 🤣

Obviously Chief Justice Roy H. shall make a ruling and I must accept the outcome either way.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:50:08 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2023, 07:40:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Seriously?  People are twisting the language of the rules to try to steal victory in a meaningless game?  I'm unimpressed.

By my quick count, Todd is the winner.  Congrats!

Also, this prediction was the closest to nailing a Celtics trade, so I'm granting 100 TPs:

Celtics get Mike Muscala using a TPE and 2 second round picks.

I'll be giving 50 TPs as a bonus to all of those who called some version of the MM trade.  Nice job, guys.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2023, 08:22:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Seriously?  People are twisting the language of the rules to try to steal victory in a meaningless game?  I'm unimpressed.

Also, this prediction was the closest to nailing a Celtics trade, so I'm granting 100 TPs:

I'll be giving 50 TPs as a bonus to all of those who called some version of the MM trade.  Nice job, guys.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am thrilled to get 50 TPs for my highly scientific and expertly crafted guess at what the Celtics would do.  And no, I will not be revealing my inside sources.  This made the whole trade deadline a little more fun.  Kind of like having random numbers for the Super Bowl.   Thanks Roy H for setting it up and running it.

I am further thrilled because I think Muscala is actually going to help.  Looking forward to really seeing what he can do.  You never really know about a player until you see them on your team.

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2023, 08:36:13 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Justin Jackson to the Pistons with a heavily protected 2nd and Cash.

Muscala into TPE for Celtics top(via Houston or Portland) 2023 2nd round pick.

WooHoo!

Thanks for remembering us little folks in this game Roy!
And props for the original idea Greenly...I'm sure Brad and Celtics brass appreciate it!

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2023, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Thanks, Roy. Seems like the right course, all considered. Good to see those who got our one deal right get consideration.

I've always thought of this contest as the "NBA Trade Deadline Contest", not just a Celtics one -- particularly considering we're one of the top teams, so we're only likely to make small moves these days. It compels one (or me, anyway) to try to be creative about predicting how the league will shift over that 2-3 day span. Thus, I was sure to include Crowder (almost sure to get traded), Beasley (almost sure to get traded) etc. Wiseman also seemed really likely, and the Sixers we're sure to make a move to duck the Lux tax (but I got the player wrong).

Nice work, all.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 09:05:34 AM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2023, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Thanks Roy. Congrats Todd, for defending your title.

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

🤣 I read the rules and made six submissions based on a literal reading that led me to believe you can only get eight of eight points. No joke. Seriously. Otherwise, I obviously would not have submitted 5 of 6 trade ideas involving the Celtics. Frankly, I did not even know this game existed in the past until Todd brought up defending his title, at which point I realized I was playing a different game 🤷‍♂️ and, as always, I’m just kidding around about trying to make a case for winning 😏 the legal scholar you are, I thought you would be amused and apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Congrats to Todd, whose posts are always appreciated and insightful.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 02:07:27 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2023, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

🤣 I read the rules and made six submissions based on a literal reading that led me to believe you can only get eight of eight points. No joke. Seriously. Otherwise, I obviously would not have submitted 5 of 6 trade ideas involving the Celtics. Frankly, I did not even know this game existed in the past until Todd brought up defending his title, at which point I realized I was playing a different game 🤷‍♂️ and, as always, I’m just kidding around about trying to make a case for winning 😏 the legal scholar you are, I thought you would be amused and apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Congrats to Todd, whose posts are always appreciated and insightful.

Thanks! Next year i'm sure you'll bring out the Big Guns.....