Author Topic: Fantasy FB advice thread  (Read 71875 times)

Re: Fantasy FB advice thread
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2023, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Need to vent a little here.  My team finished with the number two seed in a ten team league (top 4 make playoffs). I had a bad week, thank you Nick Folk and your kisses PATS,  on the semifinals but made up 19 points on Monday night and we ended in an exact tie (and we go to two decimals).  My league has no stated rule for tiebreakers in the playoffs but the NFL system awarded the championship game to my opponent. 

So I end up in the consolation game but my team goes goofy yesterday and it looks like I would have beat anyone in a championship match by a solid 25 minutes. 

It’s not a super serious league, but it’s with a bunch of college buddies and we’ve been doing it forever and I’ve never won it!

Boo hoo.

Tough one. Our league’s tie-breaker is pretty simple: higher seed advances.

That would have worked just fine.  Home field advantage.

Yep.  I begrudgingly accept it, because it's straight forward.  I felt screwed by the rule a couple of years ago, when I lost the tiebreaker due to seeding despite beating the other team twice in the regular season, but I really do think it's the fairest rule.  The regular season matters.
I disagree, I think the fairest rule is utilizing the scoring from the game.  Most TD's seems to work well followed by points from QB.

I honestly don't even care what it is.  I just wish it was stated somewhere!
It is usually in the rules or league settings.  My league for example in the settings has a category called Playoff Tiebreaker which is "Best regular season record vs. opponent wins"

Yeh.  There's nothing specific.  The standings tiebreaker is the only tiebreaker it lists.  I finished ahead in the standings, but did lose the one head-to-head with my opponent.

One settings change that would have solved the issue, was not allowing ties (it's set to allow ties).

Yup

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Need to vent a little here.  My team finished with the number two seed in a ten team league (top 4 make playoffs). I had a bad week, thank you Nick Folk and your kisses PATS,  on the semifinals but made up 19 points on Monday night and we ended in an exact tie (and we go to two decimals).  My league has no stated rule for tiebreakers in the playoffs but the NFL system awarded the championship game to my opponent. 

So I end up in the consolation game but my team goes goofy yesterday and it looks like I would have beat anyone in a championship match by a solid 25 minutes. 

It’s not a super serious league, but it’s with a bunch of college buddies and we’ve been doing it forever and I’ve never won it!

Boo hoo.

Yep.  I begrudgingly accept it, because it's straight forward.  I felt screwed by the rule a couple of years ago, when I lost the tiebreaker due to seeding despite beating the other team twice in the regular season, but I really do think it's the fairest rule.  The regular season matters.
I disagree, I think the fairest rule is utilizing the scoring from the game.  Most TD's seems to work well followed by points from QB.

"Points from QB" seems a bit arbitrary; it's no more legitimate than "Points from Kicker" or "Defensive TDs" being the tiebreaker.

But, if it's clearly established, so be it.  My view, though, is that if there's a tie down to two decimal places, it's a true tie.  In that situation, I think it's fairest to give the regular season some weight, whether that be in regular season overall record or regular season H2H.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2023, 10:35:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Boo hoo.

It is usually in the rules or league settings.  My league for example in the settings has a category called Playoff Tiebreaker which is "Best regular season record vs. opponent wins"

Yeh.  There's nothing specific.  The standings tiebreaker is the only tiebreaker it lists.  I finished ahead in the standings, but did lose the one head-to-head with my opponent.

One settings change that would have solved the issue, was not allowing ties (it's set to allow ties).

I'm curious: which platform?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2023, 10:55:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Boo hoo.

"Points from QB" seems a bit arbitrary; it's no more legitimate than "Points from Kicker" or "Defensive TDs" being the tiebreaker.

But, if it's clearly established, so be it.  My view, though, is that if there's a tie down to two decimal places, it's a true tie.  In that situation, I think it's fairest to give the regular season some weight, whether that be in regular season overall record or regular season H2H.
I'm not sure it is arbitrary, but I can see where one position getting weighted differently than others is more of an issue, that said, QB is the position that would make the most sense to do that with since there isn't a flex spot and it isn't an afterthought like kicker and defense often are. 

I honestly prefer total TD's in the game as the 1st tiebreaker, but that isn't always a great tiebreaker since that is fairly easy for repeating the tie. 

I don't really like the regular season as a tiebreaker since there are often vast differences based on your schedule.  For example, the guy that scored the 2nd most points in my league finished 8th and didn't make the playoffs.  Now maybe if you did it by points scored (as opposed to record), that might be more fair.  The object should be to score the most points and you shouldn't get penalized in that regard, because your schedule draw was more difficult than someone else's.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2023, 11:08:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
For example, the guy that scored the 2nd most points in my league finished 8th and didn't make the playoffs.

Dang, that's some bad luck right there. 

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Boo hoo.

I'm curious: which platform?

NFL.com

I'm trying not to get too annoyed by it because it's not a super serious league, but like I said, I've never won it, and the best tradition of the league is a horrible trash talking email to gloat about your own superiority, and the other's inferiority - which I may still just go ahead do , since I clearly have the best team lol.
Yup

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2023, 02:11:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
For example, the guy that scored the 2nd most points in my league finished 8th and didn't make the playoffs.

Dang, that's some bad luck right there.
It is, but that happens a lot where a low scoring team ends up with a good record and a high scoring teams ends up with a poor record.  That is an extreme case with that many points and a 6-8 record, but that sort of concept is pretty common.  I think if you made the tiebreaker points scored, I'd probably be ok with it, as opposed to record.  That seems much more fair, since points scored has no random luck of the draw involved with it.

On another note, I'm in the 3rd place game in my league (there is money on the line for 3rd) and my opponent has Burrow.  I'm up huge (like 60 points) so I don't think my game will be affected, however the championship game absolutely is affected by the potential cancellation as one team has 92.82 points and Bass and the other team has 86.30 points and Singletary.  If the game is postponed and never made up, I have no idea how that is going to be decided, and even if the game is made up, what if Singletary (or Bass) gets hurt against the Patriots and can't play in the make up game against the Bengals.  Or do they just use the stats from the Patriots game for those 2 players.  Do they just take the projected points?  My commish has said whatever yahoo does they will go with, but there is a ton of money on the line in that game and it seems like a strange weird way to have a fantasy football season end.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip