Author Topic: 2023 Draft  (Read 24966 times)

Re: 2023 Draft
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2023, 08:00:03 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
NBADraft.net needs to update their mock, they still have us with 33 and 35.  That said, at 35 they have the C's taking Julian Strawther.  I know, a lot of things can happen between now and then but if Keyontae Johnson is still there, based on this mock, then he's the guy I'd take (purely based on the mock).  I'm also hoping Indiana or Utah don't wand three firsts and would pick up a PP for one, especially Utah! 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2023, 02:34:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
So the Thompson twins have been playing in a league matched up against high schoolers? One the best players in their league was a 15 year old? And the Thompson twins are old for the draft class already at 20yo.

So two 20yo guys beating up on high schoolers. Not exactly convincing levels of competition. Sounds like neither Thompson twin has a good jump-shot. Both relying heavily on physical tools against underdeveloped physical competition. How do they do when they face grown men?

I would be nervous about using a high draft pick on either one of them.

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2023, 05:47:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
NBADraft.net needs to update their mock, they still have us with 33 and 35.  That said, at 35 they have the C's taking Julian Strawther.  I know, a lot of things can happen between now and then but if Keyontae Johnson is still there, based on this mock, then he's the guy I'd take (purely based on the mock).  I'm also hoping Indiana or Utah don't wand three firsts and would pick up a PP for one, especially Utah!
I would be thrilled with Keyontae Johnson. He's a really solidly built big forward at almost 240lbs, good shooter, 7' wingspan, solid passer and defender with good ball-handling skills. At his size I think he could easily supplement Grant Williams in the near future if we nabbed him.

There are several second round guys I would be happy with. Johnson and Jackson-Davis are probably my two most preferred. But I would also be fine with Kobe Brown, Adem Bona, Adama Sanogo, and Terrence Shannon. I sadly think James Nnaji is going to climb into the late 1st round.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2023, 05:48:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
So the Thompson twins have been playing in a league matched up against high schoolers? One the best players in their league was a 15 year old? And the Thompson twins are old for the draft class already at 20yo.

So two 20yo guys beating up on high schoolers. Not exactly convincing levels of competition. Sounds like neither Thompson twin has a good jump-shot. Both relying heavily on physical tools against underdeveloped physical competition. How do they do when they face grown men?

I would avoid them mainly due to the inherent association with the British pop group that go by the same name

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2023, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I agree.  The thing that jumped out to me is both average more than 3 steals per 36 minutes.  Must be some really crappy ball handlers in that league. 

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2023, 10:25:36 PM »

Offline Boss_D

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
If not drafted, Celtics should look at Zvonimir Ivisic a Croatian 7'3" as a possible 2-way contract. Exceptionally tall and long with a 3pt shot and decent athleticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_y6GSJbyA
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 09:49:37 AM by Boss_D »

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2023, 02:45:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Scoot Henderson looks incredible. Next Ja Morant. No way can you pass on that guy at #2. Too talented.

Speed. Power. Handles. Passing ability. Finishing ability. Midrange shot. Early stages of an outside shot. Great physical profile & tools in terms of size, length, strength. Should be able to be a plus defender.

What a package.

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2023, 06:54:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I found this interesting, with the new CBA now allotting teams three 2-way spots rather than two Rafeal Barrlow mentioned on his NBA draft podcast that he is hearing from his sources "how ever legit those are" that most players should expect to be offered 2-way deals if drafted after #40.

The 2-way contract and college NIL money has created an interesting situation for lower level prospects. These non-first round prospects have to decide where they can make more money and develop as a player. I find it interesting that teams and agents may actually be able to set a "draft floor" for players especially higher ceiling developmental kids by negotiating 2-way guarantees for players. My example would be a player like Jordan Walsh, I would predict he is drafted in the 30-40 range. In recent years early 2nds have earned a range of contracts but the important thing is that if he where to slide past pick 40 at a minimum he would get a 500k 2-way deal. This same deal will be attainable for some UDFA. So his agent will likely be able to establish an UDFA floor that nets him the same salary if he was to fall into the mid to late second.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2023, 07:07:44 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Scoot Henderson looks incredible. Next Ja Morant. No way can you pass on that guy at #2. Too talented.

Speed. Power. Handles. Passing ability. Finishing ability. Midrange shot. Early stages of an outside shot. Great physical profile & tools in terms of size, length, strength. Should be able to be a plus defender.

What a package.
Yeah I am all aboard the Scoot train. I think in a lot of drafts that don't have a unicorn, you have to think of Scoot at 1. I know we live in the era of big wings ruling everything, but the complete point god package Scoot has doesn't come around very often.
#JKJB

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2023, 09:06:05 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Besides Henderson & Victor, looks to be a weak draft class or am I’m wrong?? Is there anyone else that can be elite players?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2023, 09:49:30 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Besides Henderson & Victor, looks to be a weak draft class or am I’m wrong?? Is there anyone else that can be elite players?

Miller from Bama would probably go 1 if not for Victor.  That said, I still would take a long hard look at Miller #1 because I don't trust Victor will stay healthy. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2023, 09:51:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Brandon Miller, has his obvious off court red flags but as a pure prospect I would probably put him near Tatum coming out of college. Tatum gets the edge for being a year younger and having a more refined game but Miller put up slightly better per 36 numbers and looks slightly more athletic (with a smaller frame). He clearly has a path to becoming an elite wing.

Thompson Twins, they are really tough to gauge given the competition level they just played against but both brothers are elite NBA athletes with great positional size. Both could be developed into all-star level players.

Outside of the top 5 there are also a few guys who I think have the ceiling to surprise people long term.

Bilal Coulibaly
, young french wing with great size and length who is really explosive around the rim and is producing at a very young age on a good team.

GG Jackson, we has his warts but with elite wing size and being the youngest player in the draft he could be slowly developed elite player. He was asked to carry way to much of the offense this past season in college.

Those are the guys who I could see along with Wemby and Scoot developing into 1st or 2nd options on playoff teams. Outside of those guy there is also a really nice group of high level role player types in this class ranging from the lottery into the second round.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2023, 05:18:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Lots of guys in this draft with high-level starter potential for my mind. Next year is super shallow though

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2023, 12:23:56 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I would be thrilled with Keyontae Johnson. He's a really solidly built big forward at almost 240lbs, good shooter, 7' wingspan, solid passer and defender with good ball-handling skills. At his size I think he could easily supplement Grant Williams in the near future if we nabbed him.

There are several second round guys I would be happy with. Johnson and Jackson-Davis are probably my two most preferred. But I would also be fine with Kobe Brown, Adem Bona, Adama Sanogo, and Terrence Shannon. I sadly think James Nnaji is going to climb into the late 1st round.
I think Sadomo would give us exactly what we need - considering we are only picking in the second round.  He's a tough-minded guy who can defend other bigs, rebound, hit the occasional 3, and occasionally score with some touch inside.  Would fit in nicely with Time Lord and Al, as we limit Al's minutes.  The biggest thing we will gradually be missing as Al ages is Al's defensive minutes on Giannis, Embiid and Bam. I think Sadomo could fill that nicely.

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2023, 10:29:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I think Sadomo would give us exactly what we need - considering we are only picking in the second round.  He's a tough-minded guy who can defend other bigs, rebound, hit the occasional 3, and occasionally score with some touch inside.  Would fit in nicely with Time Lord and Al, as we limit Al's minutes.  The biggest thing we will gradually be missing as Al ages is Al's defensive minutes on Giannis, Embiid and Bam. I think Sadomo could fill that nicely.

I'm really on the fence with Sanogo, I'm confident that he will be an NBA player at some level but I find it hard to see a path where he is a rotational big on a legit contender. Looking at this years playoffs its hard to find bigs with Sanogo's physical profile contributing. I do not believe he has the verticality to protect the rim or the mobility to switch on the perimeter. Without a clear path to contributing defensively in the playoffs I can't see a point to drafting him. My draft philosophy would be to leave the non defending bigs and small guards (with the exception of elite offensive talent) to the last 10-15 picks of the second round or as UDFA pick ups. These players can prove to be valuable regular season players but are not worth drafting in the top 40. Other players I place in that category would be Timme, Tubelis, Miles Jr and Nowell. Maybe he shows more mobility in workouts and surprises me but I have him ranked around 50.

He is my 8th big in the class behind Wemby, L Miller (I think he plays the 5) Lively, Jackson-Davis, Nnaji, Gueye, and Clowney   

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet