Author Topic: 2023 Draft  (Read 24449 times)

Re: 2023 Draft
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2023, 01:23:23 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I was hoping Dillon Mitchell would stick around the 25-28 slot and we could move back into the 1st. I don’t see that happening with 2nd round picks, but maybe trading White or someone else after the season ends would make it possible?

Mitchell looks like a Jaylen Brown type player. 6’7” lefty, long and strong, and can jump out of the gym. He’s also got a weak handle, favors his left, a great defender, but a poor shooter though his midrange game is developing.

If he was even average from 3, he’s a top-5 pick, but he’s not. He could get there on athleticism and potential alone, like Jaylen did, but he’s playing small ball center and power forward instead of wing, so it’s difficult to tell.

He could stick around until the backend of the 1st round instead of being a lottery pick. Danny Ainge would draft him faster than you can say Gerald Green.

I haven't seen a lot of Texas yet this season and haven't done much research on Mitchell but my initial reaction was surprise when I saw that Tankathon had him going #15. He reminds me a lot of Kendall Brown last draft, Greg Brown the draft before that and Kenyon Martin Jr in 2020. Both of the Browns (not related) went in the 40s of their drafts and Martin went 52 as 6'8 athletic under-skill forwards. If he falls to the second I see the value but I think this draft will have much better trade up candidates.

Maybe with further research this opinion will change but that's just my initial gut feeling. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2023, 12:37:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Any players in the NCAA tourney to keep an eye on that might be there when the C’s pick? Looks like the Mocks have Boston at #37. I haven’t watched much college basketball this year. And by much I mean any.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2023, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I was hoping Dillon Mitchell would stick around the 25-28 slot and we could move back into the 1st. I don’t see that happening with 2nd round picks, but maybe trading White or someone else after the season ends would make it possible?

Mitchell looks like a Jaylen Brown type player. 6’7” lefty, long and strong, and can jump out of the gym. He’s also got a weak handle, favors his left, a great defender, but a poor shooter though his midrange game is developing.

If he was even average from 3, he’s a top-5 pick, but he’s not. He could get there on athleticism and potential alone, like Jaylen did, but he’s playing small ball center and power forward instead of wing, so it’s difficult to tell.

He could stick around until the backend of the 1st round instead of being a lottery pick. Danny Ainge would draft him faster than you can say Gerald Green.

I haven't seen a lot of Texas yet this season and haven't done much research on Mitchell but my initial reaction was surprise when I saw that Tankathon had him going #15. He reminds me a lot of Kendall Brown last draft, Greg Brown the draft before that and Kenyon Martin Jr in 2020. Both of the Browns (not related) went in the 40s of their drafts and Martin went 52 as 6'8 athletic under-skill forwards. If he falls to the second I see the value but I think this draft will have much better trade up candidates.

Maybe with further research this opinion will change but that's just my initial gut feeling.

Yeah, as the season progressed other players on the Texas roster stood out but Dillion hasn’t really improved his game. He’s probably a 2nd round pick this year and should stay another season before opting for the NBA draft. Of course a lot of that could be him playing out of position, but that doesn’t stop him from developing a 3, and there’s no evidence he has.

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2023, 01:01:39 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Double post

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2023, 04:23:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Any players in the NCAA tourney to keep an eye on that might be there when the C’s pick? Looks like the Mocks have Boston at #37. I haven’t watched much college basketball this year. And by much I mean any.
Trayce Jackson-Davis of Indiana
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2023, 07:30:26 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Trayce Jackson-Davis of Indiana

Cool. Will check out some of the game tomorrow night.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2023, 08:27:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What happens if Rockets and Spurs end in a tie for 2nd worst record tomorrow? Do we get Rockets' pick at 33, or Portland pick, or is it decided by a coin toss?  Rockets and Spurs record v each other was 3 and 3 (of course!)

Thanks!

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2023, 08:36:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
What happens if Rockets and Spurs end in a tie for 2nd worst record tomorrow? Do we get Rockets' pick at 33, or Portland pick, or is it decided by a coin toss?  Rockets and Spurs record v each other was 3 and 3 (of course!)

Thanks!

Pretty sure the Spurs and Rockets coin flip to determine draft position if they both finish with the same record.

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2023, 03:33:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With Rockets win today I think Celtics get Rockets 2nd round pick (33).

Can someone confirm? This would be great news.

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2023, 03:35:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Only if the Spurs lose today. From Twitter:

Rockets win.

Unless the Spurs win and force tiebreaker drawing, the Boston Celtics will have the 33rd pick in the 2023 NBA Draft.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2023, 10:31:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Only if the Spurs lose today. From Twitter:

Rockets win.

Unless the Spurs win and force tiebreaker drawing, the Boston Celtics will have the 33rd pick in the 2023 NBA Draft.
Of course the Spurs couldn't lose to make it simple for us

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2023, 07:33:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
https://sports.yahoo.com/arkansas-jordan-walsh-maintain-eligibility-170947175.html

Jordan Walsh has declared for the draft but is maintaining his college eligibility.

His stats don’t wow but he is the perfect example of a “pre draft” prospect. If he stays in college he has a good chance to develop into a top 20 pick. He has an elite physical profile for a wing. His combination of explosive athletic ability and a 7’3 wingspan at 6’7 gives him a great foundation for a 3-D wing capable of defending 2/3/4. 

While not NBA ready or in a true position of need I could see BS targeting him in t he early 2nd
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2023, 04:37:45 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Walsh looks interesting. A couple of other wings with upside that could fall into our range: 

Bilal Coulibaly: 6’6” 7’3” wingspan
https://nbadraftroom.com/bilal-coulibaly/

Sidy Cissoko:  6’7” 6’9” wingspan 230 pounds
https://nbadraftroom.com/sidy-cissoko/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 04:45:30 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2023, 10:09:57 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Walsh looks interesting. A couple of other wings with upside that could fall into our range: 

Cissoko maybe falls out of the 1st but I bet Coulibaly goes top 20
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2023, 10:28:51 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Coulibaly is really young as well.  I'd love this pick.  He has a ton of potential.  He's the guy I really want.