Author Topic: 2023 Draft  (Read 24974 times)

Re: 2023 Draft
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2022, 07:57:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I suppose he’s got a chance? Tacko Fall got a chance.

Sharp's mobility is much better then Taco's. Physically he reminds me a lot of Gobert before he joined the Jazz.
Sharp is a great athlete for his size. His defence is absolutely legit (10.4 blocks per 100 possessions - Nerlens Noel in college was sitting at 8.3, for reference). He knows his offensive game is to just be that high efficiency dunker with little else, but his FT percentage has jumped over 20% to 62.5%. That isn't great, but if he can become a 65-70% FT shooter that is fine. His mobility is great for his size, and you can't teach that.

Taran Armstrong (Australian guard) is another I like, although we have some serious depth there.

I like Terrence Shannon Jr. and Trayce Jackson-Davis as older prospects. I think both could offer NBA teams some things. I particularly like Trayce as an undersized 5, gives me shades of Carl Landry and Kenyon Martin.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2022, 09:24:26 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I suppose he’s got a chance? Tacko Fall got a chance.

Sharp's mobility is much better then Taco's. Physically he reminds me a lot of Gobert before he joined the Jazz.
Sharp is a great athlete for his size. His defence is absolutely legit (10.4 blocks per 100 possessions - Nerlens Noel in college was sitting at 8.3, for reference). He knows his offensive game is to just be that high efficiency dunker with little else, but his FT percentage has jumped over 20% to 62.5%. That isn't great, but if he can become a 65-70% FT shooter that is fine. His mobility is great for his size, and you can't teach that.

Taran Armstrong (Australian guard) is another I like, although we have some serious depth there.

I like Terrence Shannon Jr. and Trayce Jackson-Davis as older prospects. I think both could offer NBA teams some things. I particularly like Trayce as an undersized 5, gives me shades of Carl Landry and Kenyon Martin.

I agree Shannon Jr. is an NBA wing. He has the frame, athletic ability and skill set to plug into an NBA roster as a backup wing and play a role. He is a same pick in the late first and a steal in the 2nd.

I also like Jackson-Davis but the team that drafts him is going to have to have some level of confidence that his outside shot can be developed. If he was shooting a better % from the FT line I would be much higher on him. Right now I think he goes in the 50s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2022, 09:35:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A few guys that I've seen in the range of the Houston pick:  Caleb Love, Leonard Miller, Taylor Hendricks

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 09:50:12 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
A few guys that I've seen in the range of the Houston pick:  Caleb Love, Leonard Miller, Taylor Hendricks

Emoni Bates was at 32 on a recent Top 100 from The Athletic.  He would be a really interesting pick if still on the board.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 10:09:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Emoni Bates was at 32 on a recent Top 100 from The Athletic.  He would be a really interesting pick if still on the board.

I think he’ll fall beyond that, closer to the Blazers pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Unless something comes up in his background or medicals I'll be shocked if Miller isn't a top 20 pick. He has great size for a wing/swing and is producing in the G-league as a 19 year old. The most recent game of his that I caught they where using him as a 6'10 PG with Henderson out hurt.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 03:24:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

"A scout breaks down Arizona signee Azuolas Tubelis":

"It all comes down to how much he continues to develop on offense. If he becomes at least passable as a shooter, I think he has a role in the NBA similar to what Amir Johnson was for Toronto and Boston a few years ago; someone who plays a limited role on offense, mostly finishing plays on the interior, attacking closeouts as a driver and shooting spot-ups. But he could add considerable value as a defender given his positional versatility, motor and defensive instincts/IQ."

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2022, 03:26:29 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I keep hoping we can bundle our three second-rounders and our 2029 second to get one of the final picks in the first-round. Then I hope they all turn to whomever suggested Timelord back in the day and ask them which big they recommend this time.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2022, 03:46:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I keep hoping we can bundle our three second-rounders and our 2029 second to get one of the final picks in the first-round. Then I hope they all turn to whomever suggested Timelord back in the day and ask them which big they recommend this time.

We only have two second rounders, for what it’s worth.  If you’re looking at Tankathon for this info, it’s wrong.  Our own second went Charlotte as part of the Hayward TPE areal, and they subsequently traded it to Washington and with protections on it.

Regardless, pick 60 isn’t going to move the needle on a trade.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2022, 12:44:46 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I was hoping Dillon Mitchell would stick around the 25-28 slot and we could move back into the 1st. I don’t see that happening with 2nd round picks, but maybe trading White or someone else after the season ends would make it possible?

Mitchell looks like a Jaylen Brown type player. 6’7” lefty, long and strong, and can jump out of the gym. He’s also got a weak handle, favors his left, a great defender, but a poor shooter though his midrange game is developing.

If he was even average from 3, he’s a top-5 pick, but he’s not. He could get there on athleticism and potential alone, like Jaylen did, but he’s playing small ball center and power forward instead of wing, so it’s difficult to tell.

He could stick around until the backend of the 1st round instead of being a lottery pick. Danny Ainge would draft him faster than you can say Gerald Green.

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 08:51:32 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

We only have two second rounders, for what it’s worth.  If you’re looking at Tankathon for this info, it’s wrong.  Our own second went Charlotte as part of the Hayward TPE areal, and they subsequently traded it to Washington and with protections on it.

My understanding is that we have Orlando’s and Portland’s second-rounders, and then some sort of second-rounder with all sorts of odd protections on it involving HOU/MIA/DAL, so am I understanding that third one is basically forfeited? I presume there is value in the Orlando and Portland picks.

Any ideas what kind of seconds, including our 2029 second, would get us back up to picks 27-30, so we get the longer cost-control on whomever we draft? I guess the Bane trade kind of set that precedence. Such a stupid move by Danny and brilliant move by Memphis.

Any chance anybody would give us a top-1 protected first-rounder in the future, like 2025-2027, for those second-rounders? I’ve never been big on keeping second rounders. They are wildly overrated and overvalued by teams. For every Jokic, there’s 1,000 nobodies.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 09:22:09 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

My understanding is that we have Orlando’s and Portland’s second-rounders, and then some sort of second-rounder with all sorts of odd protections on it involving HOU/MIA/DAL, so am I understanding that third one is basically forfeited? I presume there is value in the Orlando and Portland picks.

Any ideas what kind of seconds, including our 2029 second, would get us back up to picks 27-30, so we get the longer cost-control on whomever we draft? I guess the Bane trade kind of set that precedence. Such a stupid move by Danny and brilliant move by Memphis.

Any chance anybody would give us a top-1 protected first-rounder in the future, like 2025-2027, for those second-rounders? I’ve never been big on keeping second rounders. They are wildly overrated and overvalued by teams. For every Jokic, there’s 1,000 nobodies.

I see your confusion — the Orlando pick only conveys to us if it’s between pick 56 and 60, which isn’t happening.

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2022, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

I see your confusion — the Orlando pick only conveys to us if it’s between pick 56 and 60, which isn’t happening.

TP. Yeah, that pick is obviously gone. Are you able to decipher what is most likely to happen with the HOU/MIA/DAL pick? Do we at least get Portland’s unprotected second? That could be nice if they collapse, which is always a possibility when relying on a short 30+ year old PG.

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2022, 10:44:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

TP. Yeah, that pick is obviously gone. Are you able to decipher what is most likely to happen with the HOU/MIA/DAL pick? Do we at least get Portland’s unprotected second? That could be nice if they collapse, which is always a possibility when relying on a short 30+ year old PG.

We get Portland's pick no matter what.  We get Houston's so long as it isn't 31 or 32.

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2022, 02:50:09 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

We get Portland's pick no matter what.  We get Houston's so long as it isn't 31 or 32.

Thanks, Roy. Does the pick simply vanish if they get 31 or 32, or do we get their 2024 2nd unprotected?

Hopefully Houston stands where they are relative to Detroit and someone else does more poorly. It would be amazing to get 33, especially if Portland lands at 35-40ish. Would imagine combining two such picks would get us back into the first-round, where we can get someone with longer/better cost-control.