Author Topic: Why is the Ringer totally ignoring the Celtics?  (Read 11837 times)

Re: Why is the Ringer totally ignoring the Celtics?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 08:13:18 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It is very early in the season. If we keep up this level of play, more and more articles will start to bubble up everywhere. I listen to a good amount of The Ringer podcasts, and they are pretty glowing of where the Celtics are at.

If this turns out to be the start of something special, a lot more will come.

Also I think people get a lot more clicks for surprise teams. Think the Jazz playing way above their means, or the Lakers having no future.

That's probably it. I'm so tired of hearing about the Lakers.
I love listening about how the Lakers have burned the future to the ground haha.

Also it's funny you posted this, and ESPN ran this segment about Boston's offense today: https://youtu.be/bTdIdzwI9mU

Lowe says Boston's offense is the biggest story in the NBA this year haha.

LOL

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 08:23:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Celtics may have a historic offense thus far, but they are pretty boring this year.  No drama.  No controversy.  Just keep on winning.  They probably don't have much about the Bucks or Suns either for the same reasons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 08:47:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2022, 04:54:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Why are the Ringer and other media ignoring the historic Celtics team? There are way more articles about the Lakers, Bulls, Raps, and Jazz. Non of those teams are relevant this year. I find it very strange.

I noticed this too...I'm not much for podcasts and things though, I consume online media in a much more traditional way...reading. I will check out that podcast that was mentioned.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2022, 08:39:48 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Hate to say it but by far the most likely reason is that their website metrics tell them too much Celtics content draws less clicks.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 10:14:33 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Hate to say it but by far the most likely reason is that their website metrics tell them too much Celtics content draws less clicks.

While this is undoubtedly a part of it, fewer clicks in 2022 don't mean the same that they did a decade ago, and the Ringer website is secondary advertising to the podcast anyway. If you look at less click-driven sports websites you still won't find a ton of C's content, because it's early days yet and they're just quietly good at basketball - beyond the Udoka scandal and Jaylen's allergy to tact, there just hasn't been that much to talk about.

Would you be compelled to read a story that, in sum, went as follows: 'NBA Finals Team remains good at basketball' ?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2022, 01:23:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Michael Pena is a huge Celtics fan. He just joined the Ringer from Sports Illustrated. While he hasn't written a feature yet on the Celtics for his new boss, I suspect he has one in the works.

Right on cue:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/12/9/23501568/boston-celtics-defense-robert-williams-joe-mazzulla

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2022, 02:51:01 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Michael Pena is a huge Celtics fan. He just joined the Ringer from Sports Illustrated. While he hasn't written a feature yet on the Celtics for his new boss, I suspect he has one in the works.

Right on cue:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/12/9/23501568/boston-celtics-defense-robert-williams-joe-mazzulla
Reading that article made me feel like I could run through a wall. Go Celtics haha
#JKJB

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2022, 03:10:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Right on cue:

I guess I made that happen...

::)

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2022, 03:20:19 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The answer to the question "Why is the media ignoring my favorite team" is almost always: They aren't. There are 30 teams in the NBA, almost everyone has at least something interesting you could write about going on. Some teams get more coverage than others for sure, because they are bigger drivers of "clicks" but the Celtics are actually probably in that group themselves, but overall if it feels like there isn't enough C's coverage its because there are 29 other teams to cover and you can only write an article about the c's being dominant so many times.

There has been plenty of Celtics coverage this year. Everybody has done a pod about Tatum for MVP. Everybody has done a pod about the C's offense. There have been a bunch of articles about the c's good vibes. A ton of article or discussion about the Jays being the best duo in basketball. Ect, ect