Author Topic: Bezos (with Jay-Z in his group) is talking about buying the Commanders  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Price tag will probably start at 5 billion.  The real question is what other group or groups are going to show interest and with that sort of cash.

Reportedly the Josh Harris led group (i.e. the main owner of the Sixers and Devils) would have paid 5 billion for the Broncos, but he knew he would be outbid by the Walmart group so he didn't put in his best offer to keep the Broncos price lower so when the next team became available the price would start lower. 

I wonder if anyone else is going to enter that bidding war.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Bezos (with Jay-Z in his group) is talking about buying the Commanders
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 03:47:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Warts & all, just about anyone with a pulse would be an upgrade on Snyder at this point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 03:56:28 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I wonder how much money the team lost in value, when they changed the name from Redskins to Commanders.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 03:59:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wonder how much money the team lost in value, when they changed the name from Redskins to Commanders.

It hasn't.  The opposite has actually happened.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194517/franchise-value-of-the-washington-redskins-since-2006/

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 04:22:47 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Wondering why Bezos would need anybody else in his ownership group.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 04:29:17 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

In retrospect, it’s crazy that they kept that name for so long. Black skins and yellow skins would rightfully face backlash. It shows how beaten and voiceless Native Americans are.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 04:54:56 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

i'd assume it's nothing more than a marketing investment for him. Tying Jay Z's name to the team is a lot more cool than just having his linked to it. I'm sure giving Jay Z 1-5% will increase his overall revenue from the team much greater.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 05:00:44 PM by jbpats »

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 08:44:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
why did Fenway Sports Group "give" Lebron a minority stake?  The answer is obviously money.  It is always about money and having guys like Jay-Z, Lebron, etc. make them more money.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 08:58:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
As a Commanders fan, I long for the dispelling of Snyder from the organization as soon as possible but I have to admit that replacing him with Bezos is not a lot of progress back to having a hands-off owner that is willing to bring in smart front office staff and talent evaluators to get the team back to contending status.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 09:13:24 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Snyder has failed from an ethical and professional standpoint. His outcome…. He will make more $ with the sale.

Reminds me of a CEO utterly failing, then released with a golden parachute.

People wonder why some are p---ed off at rich people continuing to get bail outs, yet Tucker and his cronies focus on poor immigrants.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194517/franchise-value-of-the-washington-redskins-since-2006/

The team increased in value simply because it's an NFL team. If they're potentially worth 5.6B, what would they be worth if they were still the Redskins? I may be wrong, but I wonder if the team lacks name recognition now. For instance, off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you the team name for the Cleveland MLB team. When I see the Commanders name pop up on the NFL scores scroll, I have to try to remember who they are.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

The team increased in value simply because it's an NFL team. If they're potentially worth 5.6B, what would they be worth if they were still the Redskins? I may be wrong, but I wonder if the team lacks name recognition now. For instance, off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you the team name for the Cleveland MLB team. When I see the Commanders name pop up on the NFL scores scroll, I have to try to remember who they are.

The Washington Commies have a ton of issues on and off the field. I think their mascot is probably issue #52. Also I agree, the name sucks.

The Cleveland Indians logo was brutal. Why are we creating cartoons of Native Americans. They don’t deserve more BS.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 09:20:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The value jumped 1.4 billion when they changed the name, I think that tells you the name was holding the value down, not the other way.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The value jumped 1.4 billion when they changed the name, I think that tells you the name was holding the value down, not the other way.

It was definitely a very big jump.  I wonder to what extent, if any, of that was due to simply selling a lot of merchandise due to the rebranding, rather than because the name had held the value down.  In other words, if the Panthers changed their name, would they see a similar jump (proportionate to their fan base) just because people wanted the new merch?

If Bezos / Jay Z want to make even more money, they should apply to change the name again, to something that incorporates "red" into the name.  "Red Hogs" or "Red Tails" or anything of that nature.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 10:16:25 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

It was definitely a very big jump.  I wonder to what extent, if any, of that was due to simply selling a lot of merchandise due to the rebranding, rather than because the name had held the value down.  In other words, if the Panthers changed their name, would they see a similar jump (proportionate to their fan base) just because people wanted the new merch?

If Bezos / Jay Z want to make even more money, they should apply to change the name again, to something that incorporates "red" into the name.  "Red Hogs" or "Red Tails" or anything of that nature.

Thinking the same.  Not a fan of Bezos but he is head and shoulders above Snyder.  I like the idea of changing the name and also would like to see them move back into DC.  I believe that land is currently available at the site of the old RFK stadium.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain