Author Topic: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season  (Read 42389 times)

Re: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2023, 02:27:27 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I know that the comparison I'm about to make is a bit of a stretch, but Boston's bad play in the Oilers game and their current 2-0 deficit to Detroit—both after having had 4 days off—is giving me "2020 covid pause" vibes. That was a much different situation, of course, and a much longer break, but the covid pause absolutely killed that Bruins team, and this recent 4-day break has done the current team no favors.

And maybe I missed something, but why did the Bruins have such a long break? It's weird to me, especially since they just had a weeklong all-star break a few weeks ago.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2023, 02:32:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know that the comparison I'm about to make is a bit of a stretch, but Boston's bad play in the Oilers game and their current 2-0 deficit to Detroit—both after having had 4 days off—is giving me "2020 covid pause" vibes. That was a much different situation, of course, and a much longer break, but the covid pause absolutely killed that Bruins team, and this recent 4-day break has done the current team no favors.

And maybe I missed something, but why did the Bruins have such a long break? It's weird to me, especially since they just had a weeklong all-star break a few weeks ago.

They’ll be fine.  They’re skating well.  Just figuring stuff out with new teammates, after a 10 game winning streak.

2-1.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2023, 02:35:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

They’ll be fine.  They’re skating well.  Just figuring stuff out with new teammates, after a 10 game winning streak.

2-1.

Tied.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2023, 02:37:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

People can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember that when making schedules now, they try to incorporate some breaks for teams so that there isn't a "fatigue" situation. So some teams have that 3 or 4-day break built into their schedules at some points during the season. Pretty sure the Rangers for example had a 4-day break just recently as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2023, 03:10:19 PM »

• Satch Sanders

People can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember that when making schedules now, they try to incorporate some breaks for teams so that there isn't a "fatigue" situation. So some teams have that 3 or 4-day break built into their schedules at some points during the season. Pretty sure the Rangers for example had a 4-day break just recently as well.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2023, 03:11:22 PM »

• Satch Sanders

2-1.

Good point with the stuff about new teammates. One reason I wanted them to not make any moves at the deadline was the risk of disrupting chemistry, but hopefully this is just a small speed bump on the way to a title.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2023, 03:34:21 PM »

• Satch Sanders
And the Bruins take the lead! (Hopefully they hang on to this one.)

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2023, 03:40:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

2-1.

Good point with the stuff about new teammates. One reason I wanted them to not make any moves at the deadline was the risk of disrupting chemistry, but hopefully this is just a small speed bump on the way to a title.

That Orlov / Hathaway trade had been amazing so far.  Bertuzzi should start producing soon.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:13:28 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2023, 03:58:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Orlov has been such an awesome addition for the B's. He was flying all over the ice and laying out Red Wings players throughout the game. Definitely adds more grit/toughness for us

I know it'll be really difficult to keep everyone, but Orlov is someone I'd love to keep here long term beyond this season. I'd much rather him than someone like Grzelcyk if we had to choose.

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2023, 10:04:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
THE BRUINS ARE OFFICIALLY PLAYOFF BOUND  8)

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Let’s go Bs. 

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2023, 02:25:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
JFC ticket prices for the playoffs are $260 as the cheapest. Most are between $320-450 even for balcony... just for round 1.

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2023, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Bruins wrapped up Presidents' Trophy and clinched home-ice tonight. Must be a great night for Boston fans.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2023, 08:05:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bruins wrapped up Presidents' Trophy and clinched home-ice tonight. Must be a great night for Boston fans.

That was a tense game last night.  You had the best team in the NHL playing the worst, and the Bs were behind or tied all game until OT.  (Of course, if one obvious goal hadn't been disallowed because the ref lost sight of the puck, it would have been a win in regulation.)

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2023, 09:11:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
It will be interesting to see how the Bruins do in the playoffs, if they can keep this going.  They have been having trouble scoring lately.  Hockey can be streaky like that.

The key to the Bruins regular season success has been their depth.  They really have two first line level lines and their 3rd line, Coyle and when Hall was healthy was very good.  They now have even more depth.  I understand that Hall is healthy but can't play until the playoffs due to a salary cap glitch.  When he is back, the 3rd line could be Hall-Coyle-Bertuzzi.  That is an awesome 3rd line.  And the defense is better/deeper now with Orlov.  Plus, they have 2 #1 level goalies.  Ridiculous depth at every position.

But does depth have the same value in the playoffs as the regular season?  Or does the top end talent become more important?  Hockey isn't quite like basketball in that you can really shorten your rotations.  First lines/pairs may play a little more, 4th line not as much, so there is some adjustment.  Plus only one goalie usually plays in the playoffs.  This is really an amazing team but playoff success is by no means assured.  It will be fun to see what they do with the lines and defense pair and of course the goalie rotation.