Author Topic: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season  (Read 42459 times)

Re: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2023, 10:45:33 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Bruins trading a 2024 (protected) 1st and 2025 4th for Tyler Bertuzzi

Bruh do they even have draft picks left anymore?  :P

I guess this qualifies as going all in.

Bertuzzi has been playing first line right wing on Detroit but he is a left hand shot.  He has had a lot of injuries lately but last season put up 30/32 for 62 total points.  It may take a few games for this to settle out (like it did for Orlov) but he could slot in at LW on the second line eventually.  Or maybe the 3rd line.

On defense, it looks like Orlov will pair with McAvoy.  I like that pairing.  For the others, they seem to be rotating rest for now.  I would think it will end up with Carlo and Lindholm together and then Grzelcyk and Clifton but Forbert has been playing fine also.

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2023, 10:55:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Crazy thing was reading that Bertuzzi has never been in the playoffs and also coming to the realization that the Red Wings haven't been to the playoffs since '15-16.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2023, 11:47:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Taylor Hall placed on LTIR; Nick Foligno to IR; Jakub Lauko recalled from Providence.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2023, 11:53:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Crazy thing was reading that Bertuzzi has never been in the playoffs and also coming to the realization that the Red Wings haven't been to the playoffs since '15-16.

That's pretty wild.  The Red Wings "rebuilding" era pretty much exactly coincides with Mike Ilitch dying.  I'm not sure if it's due to less spending, poor management, or what, but it's sad to see the Red Wings decline.  They're hockey royalty.  That mid-90s to mid-2000s stretch was a really entertaining brand of dominant hockey.

It's weird to say, but there were a few years where Red Wings vs. Avalanche may have been the most entertaining rivalry in sports.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2023, 11:59:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Taylor Hall placed on LTIR; Nick Foligno to IR; Jakub Lauko recalled from Providence.

And that isn't even the big news:

Tyler Bertuzzi was just the appetizer. The Boston Bruins have provided their fans with quite the morning, following the trade by announcing an eight-year extension for David Pastrnak that will keep him under contract through the 2030-31 season. The deal will carry an average annual value of $11.25MM, making him one of the league’s highest-paid players.

Knowing Hall is going to be out an extended period makes the Bertuzzi deal even more understandable.  Likely he will just slot in on the 3rd line to replace Hall.  Bertuzzi was first line in DET, 3rd line in BOS.  That says a lot about this team, both teams really.

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2023, 01:28:51 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Pastrnak gets extended! Awesome news to wake up to!

I am bummed, though, about Hall being on long-term IR; I really like his play, and he's been a great fit. I hope he can be back for the playoffs. Hopefully Bertuzzi is a good add.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2023, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I am bummed, though, about Hall being on long-term IR; I really like his play, and he's been a great fit. I hope he can be back for the playoffs. Hopefully Bertuzzi is a good add.

Hall is a very good player, especially compared to other 3rd line players in the league.  But his play had declined some since the start of the season.  There may have been something wrong with his "lower body" it turns out.  Hall was excellent on the second line last season (61 points).  For context, Bertuzzi had 62 points on DET last season, so hopefully that is a break even replacement.  And if Hall can be back for the playoffs, all the better.

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2023, 06:22:03 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Hall is a very good player, especially compared to other 3rd line players in the league.  But his play had declined some since the start of the season.  There may have been something wrong with his "lower body" it turns out.  Hall was excellent on the second line last season (61 points).  For context, Bertuzzi had 62 points on DET last season, so hopefully that is a break even replacement.  And if Hall can be back for the playoffs, all the better.

Yeah, maybe he's been bothered for a little while, because you're right, his production has been lower lately.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2023, 12:37:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Just a guess, but I feel the Bruins are also making these moves because they know Krejci and Bergeron will be back next season too. So they are like "yeah we may not have many draft picks this offseason, but we're bringing back a lot of the key guys anyways". Plus they extended Pasta so that's one checkbox ticked off.

And even if they do win a Cup and retire into the sunset, then it's worth it anyways because of the Cup
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2023, 03:45:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
10 in a row. 

The Bruins don’t take games off.

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2023, 04:39:07 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
10 in a row. 

The Bruins are awesome. I have much higher expectations for them. I want the Bruins to win every game and break every record because their runway isn’t that long.

I want the Celtics to maintain health prior to the playoffs. I dont care much about seeding. The Celtics still have a young team with a rookie coach.

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2023, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
The Bruins continue to impress.  Orlov has been surprisingly good (at least surprising to me).  I see McAvoy and Orlov as an elite defensive pairing.  So far, Orlov has been extremely good at retrieving the puck and making the pass to get it out of the zone.  And not just getting it out, but usually allowing someone to take the pass and attack back the other way.  That isn't the sexy part of playing defense, no box score points, but is critical to controlling the game.  Our defense got meaningfully better.

Haven't seen enough of Bertuzzi yet but still believe he is going to be a solid addition, as it turns out as a replacement for Hall.  Hathaway has been fine, don't expect a big impact from him, he'll do what he does and that is fine.  Not sure we are going to see any real change with Bertuzzi replacing Hall and Hathaway being added but at least we didn't lose any ground with Hall and Foligno injured.  Bertuzzi and Hathaway should be able to step right in and at least be on par with these guys and maybe a little better.

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2023, 05:20:06 PM »

• Satch Sanders
10 in a row. 

Something the Celtics could learn from.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
They had a chance to clinch Thursday but lost to the Oilers late. B's have another chance today though

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2023, 01:45:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Tough start today, down 2-0 to Detroit.  The Bs are playing better now, but haven't been able to break through.

Wild stat:  it's only the *tenth* time all season they've been down by multiple goals.

Good news:  Taylor Hall will be back before the end of the regular season.