Author Topic: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season  (Read 42401 times)

Re: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2023, 08:14:40 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think the deal is a "go for it this year" type deal with the fear the Bergie and Krejic are in the last year.  The issue I see is, when you do this, you mortgage the future.  It's the same as Brad trading our 1st's away, the Bruins have done the same.  Now, in the NHL, it takes a few more years for the picks to develop, and the B's prospects are solid, but eventually that lack of draft capital hole will catch up.

BTW, it's the type of deal I wish the C's had been able to pull off, a "go for it" type.  Here's hoping that Gallinari is able to make it back for the playoffs and really give them some depth.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2023, 08:35:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think the deal is a "go for it this year" type deal with the fear the Bergie and Krejic are in the last year.  The issue I see is, when you do this, you mortgage the future.  It's the same as Brad trading our 1st's away, the Bruins have done the same.  Now, in the NHL, it takes a few more years for the picks to develop, and the B's prospects are solid, but eventually that lack of draft capital hole will catch up.

BTW, it's the type of deal I wish the C's had been able to pull off, a "go for it" type.  Here's hoping that Gallinari is able to make it back for the playoffs and really give them some depth.

No doubt, they are giving up some valuable picks that will have a real impact down the road.  But they still have some good young players, McAvoy, Pastrnak, Swayman, and some others.  As I view this today, I see it as a good, smart trade.  The kind of trade that the ultimate champ always seems to pull off, that you almost have to do it you want to win it all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 09:31:05 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2023, 09:25:47 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Bruins and Capitals make a trade!

Bruins acquire Orlov and Hathaway FOR Craig Smith + 3 picks

Original reports said we traded Clifton and Zboril along with Smith BUT those were proven to be wrong  ;D

Those guys any good? What’s your scouting report.

Sorry I missed this, but both guys add a lot of physicality/toughness and certainly improves (and toughens) our defense. Our D-pairings are now very solid and full of good depth. It was a bit hefty, but then again that first round pick could be near the end so it's not as bad.

FWIW, Hathaway and Orlov were thorns to play against and B's fans hated them when playing the Capitals. So that should tell you the kind of guys we added. Tough, pesky guys who definitely improve the team. If we're being honest Craig Smith wasn't having a good year here either. Sad to see him go but this was an improvement and probably had to be done.

This was on Bruins Reddit but I think it shows the line pairings very nicely (and obviously some players could get shifted around lines if needed):

L1: Marchand - Bergeron - DeBrusk

L2: Zacha - Krejci - Pastrnak

L3: Hall - Coyle - Hathaway

L4: Foligno - Nosek - Frederic

D1: Gryzleck - McAvoy

D2: Lindholm - Carlo

D3: Orlov - Clifton
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 09:36:26 AM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2023, 09:35:52 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anything but a Cup this season will be a failure.  This team is a steamroller. I'm fine with some mortgaging of the future. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2023, 09:42:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Bruins and Capitals make a trade!

Bruins acquire Orlov and Hathaway FOR Craig Smith + 3 picks

Original reports said we traded Clifton and Zboril along with Smith BUT those were proven to be wrong  ;D

Those guys any good? What’s your scouting report.

Sorry I missed this, but both guys add a lot of physicality/toughness and certainly improves (and toughens) our defense. Our D-pairings are now very solid and full of good depth. It was a bit hefty, but then again that first round pick could be near the end so it's not as bad.

FWIW, Hathaway and Orlov were thorns to play against and B's fans hated them when playing the Capitals. So that should tell you the kind of guys we added. Tough, pesky guys who definitely improve the team. If we're being honest Craig Smith wasn't having a good year here either. Sad to see him go but this was an improvement and probably had to be done.

This was on Bruins Reddit but I think it shows the line pairings very nicely (and obviously some players could get shifted around lines if needed):

I think Orlov moves up to the #1 paring replacing Gryzleck, based only on this article.  Forbort and Gryzleck become the third pair and Clifton is depth.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/why-bruins-trade-dmitry-orlov-garnet-hathaway-could-be-home-run?cid=sm_npd_rsn_bos_twt_mn
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2023, 10:03:51 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

That may well be how it shakes out but Orlov was  top pair defenseman in Washington.  He is more of a defensive defenseman vs. one that racks up points like McAvoy and Lindholm.  I just have this sense that Orlov could pair well with McAvoy in the same way that Carlo pairs well with Lindholm.  That would leave Gryzleck and Clifton for the 3rd pair.  In any case, the defense is now very solid.

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2023, 10:46:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That may well be how it shakes out but Orlov was  top pair defenseman in Washington.  He is more of a defensive defenseman vs. one that racks up points like McAvoy and Lindholm.  I just have this sense that Orlov could pair well with McAvoy in the same way that Carlo pairs well with Lindholm.  That would leave Gryzleck and Clifton for the 3rd pair.  In any case, the defense is now very solid.

Yeah, as mentioned above, I think Orlov gets first line duties.  The great thing is legitimate depth.  Having a competent 7th defenseman (Clifton?) helps, because there’s a 100% chance somebody gets injured.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2023, 11:44:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Yeah, as mentioned above, I think Orlov gets first line duties.  The great thing is legitimate depth.  Having a competent 7th defenseman (Clifton?) helps, because there’s a 100% chance somebody gets injured.

Yeah, I don't know, who ends up 6 and who ends up 7, Clifton or Forbert, but a total 1st world problem to have.  I do think that Orlov will be ahead of Gryzleck and be our 3rd best defenseman.  The result is really improving 4 defensive slots.  Orlov slots in and is an upgrade for the #3 D, Gryzleck bumps down but is a better #4 D, and so on.  These are just small incremental upgrades but they can make a difference in a 7 game playoff series.

I guess I am way over analyzing this but Lindholm and McAvoy log a lot of minutes on power plays and also on penalty kill.  Carlo plays a lot on the penalty kill, rarely on the power play.  That kind of balances the time with Lindholm, his even strength pairing.  Orlov could pick up penalty kill minutes to balance with McAvoy in the same way. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 02:33:26 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2023, 10:45:52 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
TPs to all for the additional scouting reports. It seems some of the rumors actually agree, Orlov may be in the first D-Pairing

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2023, 01:33:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I like the trade even more after looking at what Tampa gave up for Tanner Jeannot:

To Tampa: Tanner Jeannot
To Nashville: Cal Foote, 2025 1st (Top 10 lottery protected), 2024 2nd, 2023 3rd, 2023 4th, 2023 5th

Jeannot is a pending RFA who has scored five goals and 14 points in 56 games.

That's basically what Hathaway produces (9 goals, 16 points), with a similar number of hits.  And we got Hathaway and Orlov for less than Tampa gave up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2023, 09:48:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Bruins trading a 2024 (protected) 1st and 2025 4th for Tyler Bertuzzi

Bruh do they even have draft picks left anymore?  :P

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2023, 10:11:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

AND WOW! Bruins just posted a GIF of Pastrnak wearing sunglasses, and Ty Anderson is reporting that a Pastrnak extension is "coming shortly"  :o

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2023, 10:12:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

AND WOW! Bruins just posted a GIF of Pastrnak wearing sunglasses, and Ty Anderson is reporting that a Pastrnak extension is "coming shortly"  :o

What a time to be a Bruins fan.  This is what you call going all-in.

To make salary room, does this suggest that Taylor Hall is sitting out the rest of the regular season on long term injured reserve?

EDIT:  Pasta getting 8 years $11.25 million per season?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:17:24 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2023, 10:17:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

To make salary room, does this suggest that Taylor Hall is sitting out the rest of the regular season on long term injured reserve?

OFFICIAL: 8 years, 11.25M AAV. That's an awesome deal for all parties  ;D

I wonder if it's Foligno? Isn't Foligno also hurt? Does feel like the Bertuzzi trade is also in response to 1 of Hall/Foligno being seriously hurt (long term this season)

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2023, 10:21:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

OFFICIAL: 8 years, 11.25M AAV. That's an awesome deal for all parties  ;D

I wonder if it's Foligno? Isn't Foligno also hurt? Does feel like the Bertuzzi trade is also in response to 1 of Hall/Foligno being seriously hurt (long term this season)

The good thing about NHL rules is that anybody on LTIR can still play in the playoffs, and there are no salary cap restrictions.  Tampa exploited those rules to win a Cup while being something like $18 million above the cap.

So, we add a potential difference maker who can fill in an injury hole, allow the injured player to rest, and then on the first day of the playoffs we have an exceptional roster.