Author Topic: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season  (Read 43244 times)

Re: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 09:52:14 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I apologize in advance for the inevitable jinx...  but can anybody believe how well this team is playing?

After beating the Rangers last night, they've got a 12 point lead on the next best team.  They're 21-1-3 at home, and there have only been 5 games all year where they haven't earned at least a point. 

Relative to their dominance, I haven't heard a ton about the Bs this year.  It's almost like people are taking a "too good to be true" approach.

For those close to Boston, is there any hype?

They are far more under the radar than you would expect.  The Celtics and even the Pats still get most of the talk.  Hockey can be a very fickle sport.  It can all change in a hurry.  TB Lightning got swept in the first round a few years ago after dominating all season.  Goalies can get the yips.  Pucks can just start bouncing the wrong way.

So the more casual fans maybe don't appreciate just how dominant they have been this season.  The more hard core fans understand how fragile it can be and don't want to get too excited.  I consider myself a pretty committed fan.  I still play pick up hockey regularly.  I just have this sense of kind of disbelief that they are able to keep this rolling.  I can't explain it and don't even want to try.  But I am enjoying it.

They play well nearly always but at times, when they are really clicking, it is just a joy to watch how connected and deep this team is.  And in all phases.  I have always felt Krejci was underrated.  He is healthy and playing great.  He makes a big difference.  Lindholm has been a key add to shore up the defense.  And the goaltending has been top notch all season.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:59:15 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 10:35:17 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
It's crazy. 45 games in, and they've only lost 5 times (and only 4 other times in OT/shootouts)

I still really hope they trade for a defenseman at the deadline, preferably a physical one with size/grit. Not to nitpick on one game, but in that Kraken game they lost, it did feel like we were soft and somewhat intimidated by the strong, tall and physical Kraken lines. And I feel like that's been our kryptonite in playoff series in recent years (Blues 2019, Islanders 2021, etc.)

It really does feel like Stanley Cup or bust though. How can it not be?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 10:42:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's crazy. 45 games in, and they've only lost 5 times (and only 4 other times in OT/shootouts)

I still really hope they trade for a defenseman at the deadline, preferably a physical one with size/grit. Not to nitpick on one game, but in that Kraken game they lost, it did feel like we were soft and somewhat intimidated by the strong, tall and physical Kraken lines. And I feel like that's been our kryptonite in playoff series in recent years (Blues 2019, Islanders 2021, etc.)

The Bruins have been rumored to be interested in Luke Schenn, who would seemingly be a great fit.  I'd love to see an "all-in" trade for Horvat and Schenn, although I'm not sure who we would send out for salary in return.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2023, 11:11:22 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't really follow hockey, but I generally know what goes on in the NHL. I heard rumors of the Bruins trying to upgrade their defenseman. But like Roy mentioned, who do you give up. The Bruins are by far the best team in the league. Is it possible that any shake-up of a trade may prove to be more harmful than good, especially in terms of team chemistry?

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2023, 11:12:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The Bruins have been rumored to be interested in Luke Schenn, who would seemingly be a great fit.  I'd love to see an "all-in" trade for Horvat and Schenn, although I'm not sure who we would send out for salary in return.

Schenn would be a solid get.

I don't think we need to make an "all-in" trade, but I certainly am not against giving up pick(s) and/or some of our prospects not really in our radar for the next year. But yeah, don't give up any of our current players or talent

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2023, 11:31:10 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
It's all about the Bs and Cs this season!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2023, 11:53:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's all about the Bs and Cs this season!

It's like the 80s again.  Screw the Sox and Pats, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2023, 07:16:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Boston Bruins goalie Linus Ullmark is enjoying the best season of his NHL career by far, and on Sunday night he broke a league and team record that had stood for more than 90 years.

The Boston Bruins netminder earned his 25th win of the season, stopping all 17 shots he faced in a 4-0 victory over the San Jose Sharks at TD Garden.

Ullmark, as a result, became the fastest goalie to 25 wins in league history. It took the 29-year-old veteran just 28 decisions (explained in the tweet below) to hit 25 victories, surpassing the previous record of 29 set by former Bruins goalie Tiny Thompson during the 1929-30 season. Ullmark won 26 games all of last season.

Ullmark now has a 25-2-1 record and leads all goalies with a .938 save percentage and a 1.82 goals against average.

That's wild to me.  93 years is a long time.

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 12:21:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Bruins are dominating this season. Period. And it's incredible to watch. I expected them to be good, but nothing like this. 

To think that Bergeron almost retired, and he's playing great. Ullmark's been outstanding. Pastrnak and Marchand have been fabulous. I'm running out of superlatives! So much depth on the team, great defense, great penalty kill, great power play, and the chemistry is off the charts. Boston basically has two No. 1 lines, which is insane.

It seems that my fellow UMaine alum Jim Montgomery is the perfect coach for this squad—in fact, it seems that a big reason Krejci came back from Czechia was the departure of Cassidy (and I think Cassidy was the main reason Krejci left the Bruins in the first place). The Bruins didn't struggle a bit when Marchand was out the first several weeks of the season, and as we'd all expect, the've been even better since he came back. They've had some narrow wins, but they've dominated the majority of their games, winning many by 2 or 3 or even 4 goals.

I don't know how long it'll last, but at this point I expect them to win the Stanley Cup. And I'm enjoying their season immensely.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2023, 06:21:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Bruins and Capitals make a trade!

Bruins acquire Orlov and Hathaway FOR Craig Smith + 3 picks

Original reports said we traded Clifton and Zboril along with Smith BUT those were proven to be wrong  ;D

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2023, 06:35:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Original reports said we traded Clifton and Zboril along with Smith BUT those were proven to be wrong  ;D

Those guys any good? What’s your scouting report.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2023, 06:39:46 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I'm not sure that losing Smith is a big deal, but trading him PLUS 3 picks for two guys who seem (to me) very ordinary seems a bit unnecessary, and a lateral move at best. But I'm not an expert.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2023, 07:07:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm not sure that losing Smith is a big deal, but trading him PLUS 3 picks for two guys who seem (to me) very ordinary seems a bit unnecessary, and a lateral move at best. But I'm not an expert.

I think it ended up being four picks.  A 1st, 2nd and 3rd to the Capitals, and a 5th to the Wild for taking on 1/4 of Orlov’s salary.

It’s a lot for two projected rentals, but if they contribute to a Cup, no worries.  Orlov is a second line defenseman, and Hathaway replaces Smith with a little bit more production and grit.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2023, 07:44:34 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I think it ended up being four picks.  A 1st, 2nd and 3rd to the Capitals, and a 5th to the Wild for taking on 1/4 of Orlov’s salary.

It’s a lot for two projected rentals, but if they contribute to a Cup, no worries.  Orlov is a second line defenseman, and Hathaway replaces Smith with a little bit more production and grit.

It's probably not a big deal — if the Bs win the cup, it was worth it; if they don't win the cup, it probably won't be due to Smith's absence or the presence of the two new guys.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2023, 07:49:06 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I tried to read up on the two new guys.  Orlov appears to be a solid first or second pairing defenseman who has excellent "advanced stats".  Things like % of time you get the puck out of the zone or into the offensive zone.  I am not familiar enough with his game to offer a first hand opinion but based on what I read, he should add meaningful depth and production to our defense.  Maybe even comparable to Hampus Lindholm, or at least close to that.

Hathaway is described as a "bottom 6" forward, so 3rd or 4th line.  You probably won't see him making a big impact, but he should give the Bruins a little more and something a little different than what they were getting from Smith (which wasn't much).  More of a bruiser than Smith.  Last season he had 14 goals, 9 goals so far this season, so he is not just muscle.  I think it might be interesting to pair him with Coyle and Hall on the 3rd line.  That trio would be very physical and would also score some goals.  But probably more likely, he ends up just replacing Smith on the 4th line and maybe some penalty kill.