Author Topic: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season  (Read 43608 times)

Re: 2022-2023 Boston Bruins Season
« Reply #315 on: May 01, 2023, 08:14:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Strangely, of the teams with the best regular seasons in NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB history, none won a title.

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

You’re going to discount them going undefeated and then winning a championship from a historical standpoint just because they played less games back then.  :-\

You have some really bad takes.

The point is about regular seasons.  A 16-0 regular season is better than a 14-0 regular season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #316 on: May 01, 2023, 08:21:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Anyway you slice it, they choked away three chances to eliminate a team.  Florida played with great confidence and effort, but the B’s blew 3rd period leads and/or opportunities to put this thing away in 3 straight games.  That’s a big choke. And this team /nucleus has shown a propensity for doing just that in very painful ways over the years.

Thank you Tim Thomas.
Yup

« Reply #317 on: May 01, 2023, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
First time all season the Bs lost three in a row. Great timing.

They lost 7 games at home all season

They lost 3 in this series alone.

It’s weird how TD Garden isn’t a home ice advantage for them. 1-3 this series at home and feels like they’ve had a ton of heartbreaking, season-ending losses at home. They play better on the road

They've been a bad home team for as long as i can remember. The exception beibg the Finals against Vancouver. Too bad we can't replicate the energy from that series. We are basically that Canucks team.

Fast.

Crafty.

Soft.

Home ice in general has been wonky this year.  They kept citing the overtime stat, where away teams won around 80% of the OT games this playoffs. 

I don't think the Bruins were a soft team.  I do think that the team lost its composure, which I don't understand.  The team played extremely strong defense all season.  They had magnificent goal-tending.  They recovered from mistakes quickly, and didn't beat themselves.  They almost never blew leads.

All of that got flipped on its head in the playoffs.  They played without composure, at least in Games 2, 5, 6 and 7.  Their defense sucked.  Ullmark sucked.  They made lots and lots of mistakes, which led directly to goals.  They blew several leads.

I don't think I've ever seen a team go away from its fundamentals so much, and I don't think it will ever make sense.  The Stanley Cup playoffs are the most unpredictable in all of the major sports, but the Bruins didn't lose because the opposing goalie got hot.  They lost because they went away from everything that made them successful.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #318 on: May 01, 2023, 09:37:30 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Strangely, of the teams with the best regular seasons in NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB history, none won a title.

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

You’re going to discount them going undefeated and then winning a championship from a historical standpoint just because they played less games back then.  :-\

The point is about regular seasons.  A 16-0 regular season is better than a 14-0 regular season.

Likewise. You are talking about teams with the best regular season records in the history of the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB and leave off the 72’ Dolphins who went undefeated in the regular season and won the SB. Lol.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2023, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Call me selfish but I’m fine with the bruins losing and the Celtics now having the garden to themselves.
Not a big hockey guy.
Embarrassing choke though and my apologizes to those who do care about the bruins

« Reply #320 on: May 01, 2023, 09:47:18 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
The Bruins peaked at the wrong time. They looked tired and old by the end of this series. Maybe because some of their core players are getting old.

They still overachieved this year. You can choose to be disappointed, or you can realize they never were supposed to set the regular season record. However you choose to view it.

« Reply #321 on: May 01, 2023, 09:48:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

Likewise. You are talking about teams with the best regular season records in the history of the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB and leave off the 72’ Dolphins who went undefeated in the regular season and won the SB. Lol.

Regular season. Postseason. Two different things. This isn’t rocket science. 

The ‘07 Pats were the better & more dominant regular team. Statistics would back this up. However, the ‘72 Dolphins ended up being the better team when all was said & done.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #322 on: May 01, 2023, 09:48:42 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

It’s weird how TD Garden isn’t a home ice advantage for them. 1-3 this series at home and feels like they’ve had a ton of heartbreaking, season-ending losses at home. They play better on the road

They've been a bad home team for as long as i can remember. The exception beibg the Finals against Vancouver. Too bad we can't replicate the energy from that series. We are basically that Canucks team.

Fast.

Crafty.

Soft.

Home ice in general has been wonky this year.  They kept citing the overtime stat, where away teams won around 80% of the OT games this playoffs. 

I don't think the Bruins were a soft team.  I do think that the team lost its composure, which I don't understand.  The team played extremely strong defense all season.  They had magnificent goal-tending.  They recovered from mistakes quickly, and didn't beat themselves.  They almost never blew leads.

All of that got flipped on its head in the playoffs.  They played without composure, at least in Games 2, 5, 6 and 7.  Their defense sucked.  Ullmark sucked.  They made lots and lots of mistakes, which led directly to goals.  They blew several leads.

I don't think I've ever seen a team go away from its fundamentals so much, and I don't think it will ever make sense.  The Stanley Cup playoffs are the most unpredictable in all of the major sports, but the Bruins didn't lose because the opposing goalie got hot.  They lost because they went away from everything that made them successful.

Time to blame the coaching staff then, as is blog tradition.

Very sad for the Bruins, but they’ve been disappointing more often than not so I’m not gutted by the loss.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #323 on: May 01, 2023, 09:55:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

I think you guys are arguing misaligned semantics.  Roy I think is referring to the best single regular season record in history for each league, not the best record in every season.  Certainly there have been teams that had the best record in a given season and then went on to win a title.  He is arguing that for Football, the best regular season record in history is the Patriots 16-0 which is a little better than the Dolphins 14-0.  The Bruins now join the club of having the best (most wins) regular season in NHL history (although I would argue that the Canadiens in 1976-77 had the best regular season as they had no overtime or shoot out wins, and only 80 games, but I will set that aside) and didn't win the title.  The Canadiens did win the cup in 1976-77, incidentally.  I hated the Canadiens teams of that era but they were dominant.  And the '72 Dolphins remain the only perfect team.

« Reply #324 on: May 01, 2023, 09:56:06 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

The ‘07 Pats were the better & more dominant regular team. Statistics would back this up. However, the ‘72 Dolphins ended up being the better team when all was said & done.

Right, but the initial claim was that historically, the teams with best regular season records in the 4 major sports don’t win championships. Was never making an argument for one team being more dominant than the other.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #325 on: May 01, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Fast.

Crafty.

Soft.

Time to blame the coaching staff then, as is blog tradition.

Very sad for the Bruins, but they’ve been disappointing more often than not so I’m not gutted by the loss.

I think some can be blamed on coaching, for sure.  Not pulling Ullmark earlier was a costly decision. 

« Reply #326 on: May 01, 2023, 09:59:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

Right, but the initial claim was that historically, the teams with best regular season records in the 4 major sports don’t win championships. Not comparing which team was more dominant.

16 wins is more than 14 wins.  This isn’t hard either.

Yes. MIA gets punished for playing less games. Just like the Pats will get punished if some team goes 17-0 or 18-0 when the schedule inevitably expands to it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #327 on: May 01, 2023, 10:04:54 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

Right, but the initial claim was that historically, the teams with best regular season records in the 4 major sports don’t win championships. Not comparing which team was more dominant.

Yes. MIA gets punished for playing less games. Just like the Pats will get punished if some team goes 17-0 or 18-0 when the schedule inevitably expands to it.

Yes, I understand that the Patriots now have the most wins in a regular season because they play more games. I’m just not ignoring from a historical standpoint that the Dolphins had the best single season record for 30+ years while also winning a SB that year.

« Reply #328 on: May 01, 2023, 10:08:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

Right, but the initial claim was that historically, the teams with best regular season records in the 4 major sports don’t win championships. I was never comparing which team was more dominant.

The 1972 Dolphins don't have the best regular season record in NFL history.  Just like if some NFL team goes undefeated in the regular season at 17-0, the Pats will no longer have the best regular season record in history.

16 > 14.  It's a pretty easy concept.  And, even if you can't accept that basic math, the Pats easily win any tie-breakers:

The 1972 Dolphins, the NFL's only undefeated Super Bowl Champ, faced the second easiest regular season schedule on their way to the playoffs (.357).  They faced only two teams who ended over .500 and nine teams who ended under .500.

The Patriots had something like a .535 strength of schedule.

« Reply #329 on: May 01, 2023, 10:13:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

72’ Dolphins?

16 - 0 > 14 - 0

Yes, I understand that the Patriots now have the most wins in a regular season because they play more games. I’m just not ignoring from a historical standpoint that the Dolphins had the best single season record for 30+ years while also winning a SB that year.

Nobody said that a team with the best record at that time never won a championship.  The Bulls held the NBA record, and before them, the Lakers.  In the NHL the Canadiens held the record for a long time.  In football, it was the Dolphins.  I have no idea who held the MLB record before the 1900s Cubs, but perhaps they won a title, too.

It's irrelevant to the original quote:

If I'd made that statement in 2006, feel free to correct me.  In 2023, it's a true statement that doesn't need your obtuse addendums.