Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 285914 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #3975 on: June 09, 2023, 01:38:24 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Miami doesn’t really have anything to give up. Sorry, Caleb Martin and Gabe Vincent isn’t going to get it done. Neither is Herro. Obviously they can’t give up Butler or Bam, so I don’t see how that scenario would shake out.

On the other hand, Brooklyn has a lot of pieces and Bridges might be a guy that’s good enough for them to say yes to, while leaving Brooklyn with a solid core. They’d presumably be putting their eggs in Ben Simmons’ basket, but with guys like Cam Johnson, DFS, Claxton, Dinwiddie… makes sense to pull the trigger and take a shot. Bridges, Harris (for salary), and multiple picks for Lillard.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3976 on: June 09, 2023, 02:01:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
That's what it comes down to. Does he actually care about winning or is that line just part of an image he's selling? He's spent his prime in Portland, but when have they ever been a real threat to come out of the West, let alone win a title?

And the teams he's supposedly keyed in on don't exactly have rabid fanbases with champion or bust expectations. You can practically pencil in the Celtics for an ECF appearance every year which is a position most NBA fanbases would love to be in, but a lot our fans are clamoring to break up the team. If he stays in Portland or goes to Brooklyn/Miami, he doesn't have to deal with that. Portland will continue to eat up the loyalty talk. Miami are the scrappy, undrafted underdogs that are competitive but no one actually believes they'll win, and he'll be fine with Nets fans as long as he avoids a Kyrie/KD/Harden flameout.

I think he'd like to win - all NBA players do on some level - but I don't think it's his primary basketball priority.

Can say the same thing about Miami and they just beat the C’s and are in the Finals. I really hope he doesn’t go to the Heat.

I don't see how Lillard could get traded to MIA.  They aren't going to trade him for Kyle Lowry and a bunch of picks.  It would probably be more like Adebayo and Caleb Martin and a bunch of picks, leaving MIA with no size at all.  I get why Lillard would like MIA, it was dumb to say it out loud, but it makes sense for Lillard, just makes no sense from a trade perspective.

How did James Harden get traded to the Nets? Oladipo, some scrubs and a bunch of picks. So the Heat could send a package centered around Herro who is 23 years old, plus a few role players to match salary and a bunch of picks.

Bam is going to be 26 next month. Unless they are able to rebuild in 2 years, which is unlikely, he wouldn’t fit in with their timeline.

If they could pull that off and end up with Butler, Adebayo, and Lillard, that would be a really good team.  It my view, it would be a horrible trade for POR though.  They could do way better.  Just don't see it happening.

If that type of trade gets it done, then we need to try something based upon two of our guards and a bunch of picks for Lillard.

Lillard said yesterday that he isn’t interested in coming to Boston. He mentioned Miami and Brooklyn as being places he’d consider.

Did he?  I saw he said Miami was by far his first choice out of BOS, BRK, MIA and NY (with BRK #2), but I didn't see him say he wouldn't consider Boston.

He was pretty straightforward when asked what teams he’d be interested in going to. Boston wasn’t on his list.

@Chris Haynes on which teams would be on Damian Lillard’s trade list: “I’ll leave it at the Nets and Miami.” Haynes said earlier in this segment that he’s in frequent contact with Lillard.

I don't think it's clear at all that he wouldn't come to Boston.  And, he wasn't "asked what teams he'd be interested in going to".

He certainly didn't say that he wouldn't consider Boston, and Haynes doesn't speak for him.
Sure. He didn’t say I hate Boston, I’d never play there. Seems like his interest level is very low, though. Below is from today.

BOSTON -- Bleacher Report's Chris Haynes has a solid relationship with Damian Lillard. The reporter says that he speaks to the Trail Blazers star frequently about basketball and about life.

So it was noteworthy that when Haynes was asked by Dan Patrick about the possibility of Lillard requesting a trade to the Celtics, Haynes could not hold in his laughter.

"He's not doing Boston. He's not. He's not doing Boston," a howling Haynes told Patrick this week. "I don't see that. ... I think that's pretty safe to say."
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3977 on: June 09, 2023, 02:12:08 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Chris Haynes opinion of course. We remember that KG didn't wanna play with Boston and wanted to go to the Lakers.

Then look what happened  ;)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3978 on: June 09, 2023, 03:07:41 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
That's what it comes down to. Does he actually care about winning or is that line just part of an image he's selling? He's spent his prime in Portland, but when have they ever been a real threat to come out of the West, let alone win a title?

And the teams he's supposedly keyed in on don't exactly have rabid fanbases with champion or bust expectations. You can practically pencil in the Celtics for an ECF appearance every year which is a position most NBA fanbases would love to be in, but a lot our fans are clamoring to break up the team. If he stays in Portland or goes to Brooklyn/Miami, he doesn't have to deal with that. Portland will continue to eat up the loyalty talk. Miami are the scrappy, undrafted underdogs that are competitive but no one actually believes they'll win, and he'll be fine with Nets fans as long as he avoids a Kyrie/KD/Harden flameout.

I think he'd like to win - all NBA players do on some level - but I don't think it's his primary basketball priority.

To break up the team suggests from your standpoint that it means a sort of rebuild or an implied step back. While most trade proposals and ideas I have seen are about trying to improve the team. And in particular if you're able to bring in Lillard then that's almost automatically a short term improvement and then the debate is more about long term (I actually like both sides of the coin btw).

No contending team is going to trade away their second best player for a soon to be 33 year old. At that point, they wouldn’t be contenders anymore. Wouldn’t make sense for Brooklyn to trade Bridges and same goes for Miami with Bam. Bam and Bridges wouldn’t fit in with Portlands rebuild due to their age anyway. Those are the two teams Dame mentioned having interest in being traded to.

Well I would. And in the unlikely case the Celtics do as well it means that there's no competition for Lillard if we offer Brown? Just add some filler (Pritchard + Gallinari)? That would be great. Switch Smart or Brogdon for a reliable big man (Carter?) and we're good to roll.

Lillard/White/Tatum/Carter/Williams  -  Brogdon/Hauser/Muscala/Horford

« Reply #3979 on: June 09, 2023, 03:20:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Adrian Wojnarowski, Senior NBA Insider
Jun 9, 2023, 12:21 PM ET

In a rare trade involving an NBA Finals participant, the Denver Nuggets are acquiring a 2024 first- and second-round pick and a 2023 second-round pick in a deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder for a protected 2029 first-round pick, sources told ESPN on Friday.

As the Nuggets try to maximize this championship window, they'll get the least favorable of Oklahoma City's first-round picks in the 2024 draft, and the 37th pick in the June 22 draft, sources told ESPN.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3980 on: June 09, 2023, 03:27:19 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

In a rare trade involving an NBA Finals participant, the Denver Nuggets are acquiring a 2024 first- and second-round pick and a 2023 second-round pick in a deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder for a protected 2029 first-round pick, sources told ESPN on Friday.

As the Nuggets try to maximize this championship window, they'll get the least favorable of Oklahoma City's first-round picks in the 2024 draft, and the 37th pick in the June 22 draft, sources told ESPN.

What a weird deal for OKC. I guess they just want to push some of their first way out, but the value return here isn't great. It'll be the worst of OKC/HOU/LAC/UTA (there are some protections on the HOU and UTA picks that shouldn't really have any effect)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3981 on: June 09, 2023, 03:32:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

What a weird deal for OKC. I guess they just want to push some of their first way out, but the value return here isn't great. It'll be the worst of OKC/HOU/LAC/UTA (there are some protections on the HOU and UTA picks that shouldn't really have any effect)

OKC has stockpiled so many picks that its literally impossible to use all of them! They just don't have enough roster spots. So it makes some sense to push some of those in for something down the road. Unfortunately hard to get value doing that.

« Reply #3982 on: June 09, 2023, 03:53:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The pick in 2029 is protected and they gave up 2 2nd rounders.  That is a terrible trade for OKC.  They could have just sold the 2nd round picks and not done the trade.or could have tried to move up in this draft.  I mean at 12, I think they could move up at least a few spots.  Washington at 8 or even Dallas at 10 seem like teams that might move back to get an extra 1st.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3983 on: June 09, 2023, 03:55:58 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

To break up the team suggests from your standpoint that it means a sort of rebuild or an implied step back. While most trade proposals and ideas I have seen are about trying to improve the team. And in particular if you're able to bring in Lillard then that's almost automatically a short term improvement and then the debate is more about long term (I actually like both sides of the coin btw).

I think anything breaking up the Jays at this point is a step back (like the suggestions sending Jaylen to Portland for the #3 picks and spare parts is an absolute step back). I consider this the 3rd year of this being they Jays' team, before that we were still trying to make the remnants of the Kyrie/Hayward/Kemba moves work. So when I look at like that, a Finals appears and a return to the Conference Finals are pretty good results. I think the best move is tweak the surrounding cast around those guys, which is what Brad did last offseason by trading for Brogdon and signing Gallo and I fully expect him to do that again because it the most logical approach.

And for the record, I can get on board with a Jaylen trade for a player that makes sense next to Jayson. I personally have no interest in Lilliard. I've had enough of small, offense-only point guards with murky health histories. Seen it. Twice in recent memory. Never ends well. Don't think the 3rd time is going to be the charm.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3984 on: June 09, 2023, 05:13:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Court Side Heat: Chris Haynes on Damian Lillard joining the Celtics: “He’s not doing Boston. He’s not. I don’t see that.” #NBA #RipCity #BleedGreen #NBATwitter

Ball Don’t Lie: “[dang] we get it you don’t like Boston” Jayson Tatum had to chime in on Dame’s IG Live 🤣💀 pic.twitter.com/zpqWpc5YdH

Lillard saw Tatum’s comment and he too had to react to the Celtics star’s jab: “Now y’all got my boy JT on here offended,” Lillard said.  – via Paolo Songco @ Clutch Points

« Reply #3985 on: June 09, 2023, 06:27:20 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Let Lillard rot in Portland. If he thinks Brooklyn is a better destination then he is either ignorant about the game, or he has some other agenda that is not related to the game.

And this is a big reason why a lot of sports fans don't take this league or its players seriously. A lot of the talent comes off more as ego-driven social media influencers than as competitors.

« Reply #3986 on: June 09, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Lillard to the Knicks would make a lot of sense for all parties.

I'm really not sure how Miami can get Lillard unless they give up Herro, 2 of Martin/Strus/Vincent + a bunch of picks, and even that I'm not sure will be enough compared to what others could offer. Maybe I'm underestimating Herro's value but I don't think it's as high as people think
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3987 on: June 09, 2023, 07:03:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I'm really not sure how Miami can get Lillard unless they give up Herro, 2 of Martin/Strus/Vincent + a bunch of picks, and even that I'm not sure will be enough compared to what others could offer. Maybe I'm underestimating Herro's value but I don't think it's as high as people think

Plus, Herro is very similar to A Simons. Both undersized lightweight weak defender all offense SGs.

« Reply #3988 on: June 09, 2023, 09:14:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Brunson is a solid player, but he’s going to be 27 this year. I don’t think Portland would want him since he wouldn’t fit their rebuild timeline. I also don’t think that Lillard and Brunson would be good fit together and I’m not sure A package around Quickley, Barrett picks would be enough. Also, Thibs doesn’t play guys who don’t defend, so there’s that too.

« Reply #3989 on: June 10, 2023, 08:35:13 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

I think anything breaking up the Jays at this point is a step back (like the suggestions sending Jaylen to Portland for the #3 picks and spare parts is an absolute step back). I consider this the 3rd year of this being they Jays' team, before that we were still trying to make the remnants of the Kyrie/Hayward/Kemba moves work. So when I look at like that, a Finals appears and a return to the Conference Finals are pretty good results. I think the best move is tweak the surrounding cast around those guys, which is what Brad did last offseason by trading for Brogdon and signing Gallo and I fully expect him to do that again because it the most logical approach.

And for the record, I can get on board with a Jaylen trade for a player that makes sense next to Jayson. I personally have no interest in Lilliard. I've had enough of small, offense-only point guards with murky health histories. Seen it. Twice in recent memory. Never ends well. Don't think the 3rd time is going to be the charm.

technically 4th if you count Isaiah Thomas....Thomas/Kyrie/Kemba.....

not sure why people want to go back to those eras where those guys were just attacked defensively. I mean thats not even taking into account trading a guy about to "enter" his prime with a guy who is past his...

This team reached the level they are at when Brad finally got rid of those undersized no defense point guards like Kemba/Schroder and ended up going with Smart/White.