Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 291355 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #3960 on: June 09, 2023, 06:27:35 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
 8)
Per Haynes, this is all a fantasy anyways, as Dame reportedly wouldn’t accept a trade to Boston.

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1666931292162727936?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Find this hard to believe. I can see him stating a preference for Miami or Brooklyn due to friends being there, but what would the rationale be for not wanting Boston given our situation? Or is this more of the IT injury narrative non-sense?

(Not that we’re trading for him anyways, but still I find this strange. Also, Haynes was wrong just yesterday about the CP3 report, so perhaps his credibility is waning.)

Haynes is usually pretty locked in with Dame related stuff. Dame has given him some "exclusive" interviews over the years. He's been Dame's preferred mouthpiece when the offseason/trade chatter starts up.

He probably wants to be THE guy on whatever team he may be traded to. He ain’t going to be top dog in Boston. If he goes to Miami, Butler would be fine deferring. In Brooklyn, he’d be the top option ahead of Bridges.

Jimmy defer? Jimmy is a dominant personality and he like the spotlight. I think people forget that he's had issues on every team he's been on (in Chicago - he couldn't share the spotlight with Rose, fell out with Joakim Noah, publicly called out his younger teammates during the Rondo/Wade experiment, in Minny - he forced his way out because he didn't like playing with KAT, and in Philly - didn't want to share ball handling with Simmons and clashed Brett Brown. He's even bumped heads with Spo but Spo just doesn't back down and has Riley's support). He might mesh with Dame and it works itself out, but it's not a sure thing. I definitely don't think he's gonna just defer naturally.

This season Jimmy Butler led the Heat in APG and was 3rd in shot attempts per game with 13.9. Bam was at 14.6 and Herro was 16.6

It seems like he is a player that's fine deferring to his teammates.
Brown had basically the same number of attempts that Lillard had this year and Tatum was 2nd on the C's in apg.  He'd get plenty of shots in Boston.  I think it would be about perception on whose team it is and in that the Heat are Butler's team.  I think the C's would be more likely to be Lillard's team than the Heat would.

All that said, if I was a young multi-millionaire that dabbles in entertainment and all sorts of industries, I'd much rather live in Miami than Boston.  Of course, unless the Heat are willing to trade Bam, I'm not sure they could put together a package that is anywhere near as attractive as the one Boston or a handful of other eastern teams could put together.

Eh, this is pretty clearly Tatum’s team, especially given that at 8-9 years younger Tatum’s resume already rivals Lillard in awards and swamps him in winning in both the regular season and playoffs. Dane coming here doesn’t change that, which I do think is a factor.

I can see the nightlife/marketing opportunities in Miami and Brooklyn better appeal to him, but if he’s “all about winning” like he says, Boston is clearly the best option for both him and likely even Portland.

But as much as I think Brown is not a great fit for us as a two star behind JT, I’d much rather find other ways to better complement the Jays (particularly with ball handling and playmaking - like a CP3) than trade for Lillard. Hell, I’d take a Trae trade over Lillard. I’m just not ready to risk it all for another older point guard with a health history.
there is no question that Tatum has been Boston"s best and most important player, but he doesn't have the team like someone like Butler does in Miami..  there are strong arguments that Smart or Brown are this teams leader, which is part of the problem the team has as they are no where near as good as Tatum.  That isn't the case with Lillard.  Tatum can still be the best player, yet the team could be Lillard's team so to speak.  I think that is more likely than it would be in Miami where the Heat are clearly Jimmy's team.  I think back to the Toine and Pierce teams.  Pierce was the best and most important player to winning, but Toine was the leader (and he was close enough in talent it could work).   I absolutley could see that with Tatum and Lillard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3961 on: June 09, 2023, 09:18:40 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Per Haynes, this is all a fantasy anyways, as Dame reportedly wouldn’t accept a trade to Boston.

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1666931292162727936?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Find this hard to believe. I can see him stating a preference for Miami or Brooklyn due to friends being there, but what would the rationale be for not wanting Boston given our situation? Or is this more of the IT injury narrative non-sense?

(Not that we’re trading for him anyways, but still I find this strange. Also, Haynes was wrong just yesterday about the CP3 report, so perhaps his credibility is waning.)

Haynes is usually pretty locked in with Dame related stuff. Dame has given him some "exclusive" interviews over the years. He's been Dame's preferred mouthpiece when the offseason/trade chatter starts up.

He probably wants to be THE guy on whatever team he may be traded to. He ain’t going to be top dog in Boston. If he goes to Miami, Butler would be fine deferring. In Brooklyn, he’d be the top option ahead of Bridges.

Jimmy defer? Jimmy is a dominant personality and he like the spotlight. I think people forget that he's had issues on every team he's been on (in Chicago - he couldn't share the spotlight with Rose, fell out with Joakim Noah, publicly called out his younger teammates during the Rondo/Wade experiment, in Minny - he forced his way out because he didn't like playing with KAT, and in Philly - didn't want to share ball handling with Simmons and clashed Brett Brown. He's even bumped heads with Spo but Spo just doesn't back down and has Riley's support). He might mesh with Dame and it works itself out, but it's not a sure thing. I definitely don't think he's gonna just defer naturally.

This season Jimmy Butler led the Heat in APG and was 3rd in shot attempts per game with 13.9. Bam was at 14.6 and Herro was 16.6

It seems like he is a player that's fine deferring to his teammates.
Brown had basically the same number of attempts that Lillard had this year and Tatum was 2nd on the C's in apg.  He'd get plenty of shots in Boston.  I think it would be about perception on whose team it is and in that the Heat are Butler's team.  I think the C's would be more likely to be Lillard's team than the Heat would.

All that said, if I was a young multi-millionaire that dabbles in entertainment and all sorts of industries, I'd much rather live in Miami than Boston.  Of course, unless the Heat are willing to trade Bam, I'm not sure they could put together a package that is anywhere near as attractive as the one Boston or a handful of other eastern teams could put together.

Eh, this is pretty clearly Tatum’s team, especially given that at 8-9 years younger Tatum’s resume already rivals Lillard in awards and swamps him in winning in both the regular season and playoffs. Dane coming here doesn’t change that, which I do think is a factor.

I can see the nightlife/marketing opportunities in Miami and Brooklyn better appeal to him, but if he’s “all about winning” like he says, Boston is clearly the best option for both him and likely even Portland.

But as much as I think Brown is not a great fit for us as a two star behind JT, I’d much rather find other ways to better complement the Jays (particularly with ball handling and playmaking - like a CP3) than trade for Lillard. Hell, I’d take a Trae trade over Lillard. I’m just not ready to risk it all for another older point guard with a health history.

That's what it comes down to. Does he actually care about winning or is that line just part of an image he's selling? He's spent his prime in Portland, but when have they ever been a real threat to come out of the West, let alone win a title?

And the teams he's supposedly keyed in on don't exactly have rabid fanbases with champion or bust expectations. You can practically pencil in the Celtics for an ECF appearance every year which is a position most NBA fanbases would love to be in, but a lot our fans are clamoring to break up the team. If he stays in Portland or goes to Brooklyn/Miami, he doesn't have to deal with that. Portland will continue to eat up the loyalty talk. Miami are the scrappy, undrafted underdogs that are competitive but no one actually believes they'll win, and he'll be fine with Nets fans as long as he avoids a Kyrie/KD/Harden flameout.

I think he'd like to win - all NBA players do on some level - but I don't think it's his primary basketball priority.

Can say the same thing about Miami and they just beat the C’s and are in the Finals. I really hope he doesn’t go to the Heat.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3962 on: June 09, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
That's what it comes down to. Does he actually care about winning or is that line just part of an image he's selling? He's spent his prime in Portland, but when have they ever been a real threat to come out of the West, let alone win a title?

And the teams he's supposedly keyed in on don't exactly have rabid fanbases with champion or bust expectations. You can practically pencil in the Celtics for an ECF appearance every year which is a position most NBA fanbases would love to be in, but a lot our fans are clamoring to break up the team. If he stays in Portland or goes to Brooklyn/Miami, he doesn't have to deal with that. Portland will continue to eat up the loyalty talk. Miami are the scrappy, undrafted underdogs that are competitive but no one actually believes they'll win, and he'll be fine with Nets fans as long as he avoids a Kyrie/KD/Harden flameout.

I think he'd like to win - all NBA players do on some level - but I don't think it's his primary basketball priority.

Can say the same thing about Miami and they just beat the C’s and are in the Finals. I really hope he doesn’t go to the Heat.

I don't see how Lillard could get traded to MIA.  They aren't going to trade him for Kyle Lowry and a bunch of picks.  It would probably be more like Adebayo and Caleb Martin and a bunch of picks, leaving MIA with no size at all.  I get why Lillard would like MIA, it was dumb to say it out loud, but it makes sense for Lillard, just makes no sense from a trade perspective.

« Reply #3963 on: June 09, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Bam, Butler & Lillard be very tough to handle

Good thing that’ll never happen. Miami simply doesn’t have enough without including Bam or Butler.

« Reply #3964 on: June 09, 2023, 10:34:15 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I don't see how Lillard could get traded to MIA.  They aren't going to trade him for Kyle Lowry and a bunch of picks.  It would probably be more like Adebayo and Caleb Martin and a bunch of picks, leaving MIA with no size at all.  I get why Lillard would like MIA, it was dumb to say it out loud, but it makes sense for Lillard, just makes no sense from a trade perspective.

How did James Harden get traded to the Nets? Oladipo, some scrubs and a bunch of picks. So the Heat could send a package centered around Herro who is 23 years old, plus a few role players to match salary and a bunch of picks.

Bam is going to be 26 next month. Unless they are able to rebuild in 2 years, which is unlikely, he wouldn’t fit in with their timeline.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3965 on: June 09, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

How did James Harden get traded to the Nets? Oladipo, some scrubs and a bunch of picks. So the Heat could send a package centered around Herro who is 23 years old, plus a few role players to match salary and a bunch of picks.

Bam is going to be 26 next month. Unless they are able to rebuild in 2 years, which is unlikely, he wouldn’t fit in with their timeline.

If they could pull that off and end up with Butler, Adebayo, and Lillard, that would be a really good team.  It my view, it would be a horrible trade for POR though.  They could do way better.  Just don't see it happening.

« Reply #3966 on: June 09, 2023, 10:50:15 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

If they could pull that off and end up with Butler, Adebayo, and Lillard, that would be a really good team.  It my view, it would be a horrible trade for POR though.  They could do way better.  Just don't see it happening.

No contending team is going to trade away their second best player for a soon to be 33 year old. At that point, they wouldn’t be contenders anymore. Wouldn’t make sense for Brooklyn to trade Bridges and same goes for Miami with Bam. Bam and Bridges wouldn’t fit in with Portlands rebuild due to their age anyway. Those are the two teams Dame mentioned having interest in being traded to.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 11:11:51 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #3967 on: June 09, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If that type of trade gets it done, then we need to try something based upon two of our guards and a bunch of picks for Lillard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3968 on: June 09, 2023, 11:09:15 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

If that type of trade gets it done, then we need to try something based upon two of our guards and a bunch of picks for Lillard.

Lillard said yesterday that he isn’t interested in coming to Boston. He mentioned Miami and Brooklyn as being places he’d consider.

« Reply #3969 on: June 09, 2023, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Lillard said yesterday that he isn’t interested in coming to Boston. He mentioned Miami and Brooklyn as being places he’d consider.

and there was a time KG was pretty adamant about not wanting to come to Boston as well as he tried to guide his way to the Lakers. Nothing is impossible for sure. But yeah, I get it, Miami sounds like a much better place to be in the wintertime for sure. Riley is a master at getting what he wants too. How often does he lose out in a target? I really wish Bird was running our team too.

« Reply #3970 on: June 09, 2023, 11:17:44 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

I'd love to hear, off the record, why Lillard isn't interested in Boston.  Whether it's just lack of friendships with players on the roster, or distaste for Boston (racism-related or otherwise), or the fact that he wouldn't be 'the man' if he came here, or perhaps lack of belief in our scheme, or whatever other reason. 

I don't think we'll ever get a candid answer to that question unfortunately. 

« Reply #3971 on: June 09, 2023, 11:30:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Did he?  I saw he said Miami was by far his first choice out of BOS, BRK, MIA and NY (with BRK #2), but I didn't see him say he wouldn't consider Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3972 on: June 09, 2023, 11:40:14 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Lol at Jayson trolling Dame.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3973 on: June 09, 2023, 11:46:27 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Did he?  I saw he said Miami was by far his first choice out of BOS, BRK, MIA and NY (with BRK #2), but I didn't see him say he wouldn't consider Boston.

He was pretty straightforward when asked what teams he’d be interested in going to. Boston wasn’t on his list.

@Chris Haynes on which teams would be on Damian Lillard’s trade list: “I’ll leave it at the Nets and Miami.” Haynes said earlier in this segment that he’s in frequent contact with Lillard.

« Reply #3974 on: June 09, 2023, 11:51:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He was pretty straightforward when asked what teams he’d be interested in going to. Boston wasn’t on his list.

@Chris Haynes on which teams would be on Damian Lillard’s trade list: “I’ll leave it at the Nets and Miami.” Haynes said earlier in this segment that he’s in frequent contact with Lillard.

I don't think it's clear at all that he wouldn't come to Boston.  And, he wasn't "asked what teams he'd be interested in going to".

He certainly didn't say that he wouldn't consider Boston, and Haynes doesn't speak for him.