Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 62193 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #525 on: April 22, 2023, 12:57:10 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I suspect your reaction would be much different if he was pushing conservative ideas.  Apparently rather than a white guy inventing basketball, he prefers the notion that Naismith somehow culturally appropriated it from a Mayan ballgame.  A ballgame that was associated with ritual sacrifice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Ballgame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame

Other than being played on a court with a ball and throwing it through a ring there’s not much in common and would be a real stretch to say that they are. Unless you think soccer/football is the same as basketball? At least those teams wear shorts and dribble before shooting the ball into a net.

« Reply #526 on: April 22, 2023, 12:59:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Maybe he is mixed up with Aaron Nesmith.

People were saying that. Still misspelled, though.   :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2023, 01:10:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
And this is why many people don’t take JB seriously…  :blank:

During a Game 3 against the Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics All-Star forward Jaylen Brown wore custom-made sneakers with an unusual message written on them. The message read, “Was it really Neismith?” which appears to question whether Dr. James Naismith was the true inventor of basketball. However, the name “Naismith” was misspelled as “Neismith” on the shoes.

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1649437089098870784

What's the background/implication of JBs sneaker statement?  I like JB both as a player and as a young, interested, engaged American. He wants to be in the fray politically unlike so many youth who are disinterested, avoidant or apathetic.  At 26 I assume he's discovering who he is politically and what his place is as a well-known athlete with a "pulpit" most 26 year olds don't have.  As would be true with many 20-somethings, I'm sure I don't agree with him on everything, but I love that he seems to care and that he's not afraid to speak out.  Conspiracy tendencies worry me, but time will tell I guess in terms of where JB lands from a political perspective.   He should spell better though.
I suspect your reaction would be much different if he was pushing conservative ideas.  Apparently rather than a white guy inventing basketball, he prefers the notion that Naismith somehow culturally appropriated it from a Mayan ballgame.  A ballgame that was associated with ritual sacrifice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Ballgame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame

Games were played between two teams of players. The number of players per team could vary, between two to four. Some games were played on makeshift courts for simple recreation while others were formal spectacles on huge stone ballcourts leading to human sacrifice.

Even without human sacrifice, the game could be brutal and there were often serious injuries inflicted by the solid, heavy ball. Today's hip-ulama players are "perpetually bruised"[28] while nearly 500 years ago Spanish chronicler Diego Durán reported that some bruises were so severe that they had to be lanced open. He also reported that players were even killed when the ball "hit them in the mouth or the stomach or the intestines".

I regret that earlier today I didn't have time to finish and post something I was writing about Florida Congressman Byron Donalds.  I couldn't disagree more with Donalds on most issues, and am especially disdainful of his endorsement of Trump.  Nonetheless, I am utterly impressed with him.  He is at once amiable and unflappable in his discussions with folks with opposing views.  He is clearly invested in understanding the issues and supports his viewpoints effectively.  He disagrees without being divisive or dismissive which is something I respect in today's political world.   He's not quite as young as JB, but still young to me (it's all relative) and I'm grateful for thoughtful and caring young people, especially if they seem to be (come off as) respectful to others and seem well-informed (and not conspiracy driven).  Granted, like any politician, Donalds cherry picks information that supports his way of thinking - but that's politics. 

So, Tazz, your suspicion, understandable as it is, that I'd only respect the individual if his views aligned with mine isn't true.  I have high regard for a number of conservatives and hope that one of them can convince the Republican party to come back to ideology as the driving political influence as opposed to investing in the personality worship of a lying loser, and soon-to-be criminal.

« Reply #528 on: April 22, 2023, 10:56:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Found this interesting, but apparently there's a good chance if Boston wins their series in 5, that Game 1 of Philly-Boston could be next Saturday. Woj was saying this on a podcast when discussing Embiid's injury and timeline for return.

Saturday feels pretty early, especially considering there'll likely still be a lot of series still playing a 6th game (or a Game 7 next weekend). Of course, if BOS goes 6 or 7 games with Atlanta, then it's probably next Monday as planned
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #529 on: April 23, 2023, 12:59:55 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Found this interesting, but apparently there's a good chance if Boston wins their series in 5, that Game 1 of Philly-Boston could be next Saturday. Woj was saying this on a podcast when discussing Embiid's injury and timeline for return.

Saturday feels pretty early, especially considering there'll likely still be a lot of series still playing a 6th game (or a Game 7 next weekend). Of course, if BOS goes 6 or 7 games with Atlanta, then it's probably next Monday as planned

this is typical though, so much so that i've actually been planning my schedule since the playoffs started as if that's likely going to be game one and game two is monday/tuesday depending on the bruins

« Reply #530 on: April 23, 2023, 01:05:02 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

If the Celtics go up 3-1 tomorrow, I think you’ll see Saturday officially listed as Game 7 if necessary, or Game 1.  The Bruins are already Game 7 at home on Sunday, and they’re going to start the series on a weekend unless the 1st round goes 7.

« Reply #531 on: April 23, 2023, 10:12:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
The NBA announced the potential Celtics-Sixers schedule scenarios.

If Boston wins Tuesday, then Game 1 is next Saturday. If this series goes 6 or 7 and Boston wins, it's next Monday

https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1650313946698592258

IF Boston wins Game 5:

Game 1: PHI @ BOS (Sat)
Game 2: PHI @ BOS May 1
Game 3: BOS @ PHI May 5
Game 4: BOS @ PHI May 7
Game 5: PHI @ BOS May 9
Game 6: BOS @ PHI May 11
Game 7: PHI @ BOS May 15

IF Boston wins in 6 or 7:

Game 1: PHI @ BOS May 1 
Game 2: PHI @ BOS May 3
Game 3: BOS @ PHI May 5
Game 4: BOS @ PHI May 7
Game 5: PHI @ BOS May 9
Game 6: BOS @ PHI May 11
Game 7: PHI @ BOS May 14

I guess if ATL comes back to win the series, then it'll be PHI vs. ATL with that 2nd schedule iteration^
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #532 on: April 28, 2023, 12:18:19 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
ESPN Stats & Info: The Celtics are now 23-1 (.957) when Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown both score 30 points, including the playoffs. That’s the best win percentage by a duo all-time (min 20 games), ahead of Michael Jordan & Scottie Pippen (18-2, .900). – via Twitter
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #533 on: April 28, 2023, 10:55:56 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Jay King: Jayson Tatum on Joe Mazzulla: “He’s been great all season. Just managing personalities, managing games. … His faith in us, our faith in him. I say it all the time, this is like a relationship. We’re all on the same page. … he always finds a way to maintain his poise.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

« Reply #534 on: April 28, 2023, 11:14:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jay King: Jayson Tatum on Joe Mazzulla: “He’s been great all season. Just managing personalities, managing games. … His faith in us, our faith in him. I say it all the time, this is like a relationship. We’re all on the same page. … he always finds a way to maintain his poise.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

But he still preferred Ime.  :D

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #535 on: April 28, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
https://twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/1651802628563644417?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Trae Young scored 25 points in the 1st half compared to just 5 in the 2nd. Says Marcus Smart’s late-game, 1-on-1 defensive pressure was the reason why:

"Marcus was being way more aggressive and wasn't leaving me as much ... In the 2nd half, he was just more connected to me."

That’s my DPOY!

« Reply #536 on: April 28, 2023, 01:02:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
https://twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/1651802628563644417?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Trae Young scored 25 points in the 1st half compared to just 5 in the 2nd. Says Marcus Smart’s late-game, 1-on-1 defensive pressure was the reason why:

"Marcus was being way more aggressive and wasn't leaving me as much ... In the 2nd half, he was just more connected to me."

That’s my DPOY!

Smart was far and away the best defender on Trae all series long long. Did much better than D White. Felt much more comfortable with White on D Murray than Trae.

« Reply #537 on: April 28, 2023, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Doubt it. If he did, he won’t after they win a championship with Joe this year.   :)

« Reply #538 on: April 28, 2023, 03:39:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Doubt it. If he did, he won’t after they win a championship with Joe this year.   :)

Boston Celtics All-Star Jayson Tatum said Saturday that his favorite coach to play for has been Ime Udoka.

I'm not sure that winning a title in spite of Joe will change that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #539 on: April 28, 2023, 03:46:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Boston Celtics All-Star Jayson Tatum said Saturday that his favorite coach to play for has been Ime Udoka.

I'm not sure that winning a title in spite of Joe will change that.

Well, hopefully someone asks him after they win it all this season.  :laugh:

57 wins in spite of Joe. If they win a title it will be in spite of Joe. Smh.