Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 62235 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #495 on: April 02, 2023, 10:31:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Brown has virtually no incentive to sign this summer without the supermax, as even with the increase to 140 percent, he would be eligible for a similarly structured extension from Boston regardless of award status when he reaches unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2024. All of which means the Celtics need to hope Brown lands one of 15 All-NBA berths this summer to entice an extension. Boston would still be well positioned to retain him over rivals, but an early extension would eliminate a storyline that would linger throughout the 2023-24 season. – via Chris Forsberg @ NBC Sports
him signing as soon as possible would be the ideal situation
if the money this summer will be equal to the money next summer,  wouldn't it be prudent for him to sign asap? Yeah he loses the opportunity to shop around,  but we'd have the best offer, and he'd get the security of having that massive contract guaranteed a year early.

It protects him in the event some Hayward-esque catastrophic injury happens next year.

Yeah too many things can happen, take the generational contract right now

I would, but my guess is JB is going to bet on himself.

But yeah, as I understand it, the extension is about JB’s 4 year home team max.  That’s the most he can get over four years if he misses All-NBA, and the most he can make if he’s traded.  It’s less than he’d make if he signs in Boston and signs elsewhere.

I’d take the close to best case scenario, guaranteed.

I doubt this. If it’s legitimately the same money as the max contract he’d get next year, it makes no sense to wait given the injury risk and other risks. This is especially true given that players demanding a trade has become commonplace, especially for star players.

That said, if he doesn’t take the extension this year and there’s no other incentive for him to wait, that’s worrisome and indicative that he’s seriously considering leaving, likely for a more spotlighted # 1 role. I’m that scenario, I think you absolutely have to seriously consider moving him rather than risk that possibility, as there’s only so much you can do to motivate a player to sign who wants to be the # 1 option elsewhere.

« Reply #496 on: April 02, 2023, 10:32:45 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Brown has virtually no incentive to sign this summer without the supermax, as even with the increase to 140 percent, he would be eligible for a similarly structured extension from Boston regardless of award status when he reaches unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2024. All of which means the Celtics need to hope Brown lands one of 15 All-NBA berths this summer to entice an extension. Boston would still be well positioned to retain him over rivals, but an early extension would eliminate a storyline that would linger throughout the 2023-24 season. – via Chris Forsberg @ NBC Sports
if the money this summer will be equal to the money next summer,  wouldn't it be prudent for him to sign asap? Yeah he loses the opportunity to shop around,  but we'd have the best offer, and he'd get the security of having that massive contract guaranteed a year early.

It protects him in the event some Hayward-esque catastrophic injury happens next year.

But yeah, as I understand it, the extension is about JB’s 4 year home team max.  That’s the most he can get over four years if he misses All-NBA, and the most he can make if he’s traded.  It’s less than he’d make if he signs in Boston and signs elsewhere.

I doubt this. If it’s legitimately the same money as the max contract he’d get next year, it makes no sense to wait given the injury risk and other risks. This is especially true given that players demanding a trade has become commonplace, especially for star players.

That said, if he doesn’t take the extension this year and there’s no other incentive for him to wait, that’s worrisome and indicative that he’s seriously considering leaving, likely for a more spotlighted # 1 role. I’m that scenario, I think you absolutely have to seriously consider moving him rather than risk that possibility, as there’s only so much you can do to motivate a player to sign who wants to be the # 1 option elsewhere.

can't he qualify for all nba next year and get that contract?

« Reply #497 on: April 02, 2023, 11:01:51 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

My understanding is no, because it wouldn't actually be an extension at that point. It's a new contract. Though I've seen conflicting things online about this. If there is a chance for him to get the supermax with an All-NBA vote next year, then that's more reasonable to risk.

We need our resident cap/CBA experts to verify this for us.

« Reply #498 on: April 03, 2023, 09:44:47 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
1 seed is not happening. And we're basically locked into the 2 seed. They need to prioritize rest and/or managing minutes this week. There should be no reason anyone plays more than 35 minutes in a game. All our starters (and White-Brogdon) should be given 1-2 games off as well. Maybe rotate who gets rest and who plays certain games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #499 on: April 03, 2023, 09:48:46 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

My understanding is no, because it wouldn't actually be an extension at that point. It's a new contract. Though I've seen conflicting things online about this. If there is a chance for him to get the supermax with an All-NBA vote next year, then that's more reasonable to risk.

If Jaylen gets All-NBA this year, he’d be eligible for a 6-year extension, which includes the final year of his current deal, at 35% + 8% raises beginning in 2024.  If Jaylen gets All-NBA next year, the Celtics, and only the Celtics, could sign him to a 5-year deal at 35% of the cap + 8% raises.  He would be eligible for a designated veteran contract instead of a designated veteran extension, but they are functionally the same.

« Reply #500 on: April 03, 2023, 10:07:05 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Jaylen gets All-NBA this year, he’d be eligible for a 6-year extension, which includes the final year of his current deal, at 35% + 8% raises beginning in 2024.  If Jaylen gets All-NBA next year, the Celtics, and only the Celtics, could sign him to a 5-year deal at 35% of the cap + 8% raises.  He would be eligible for a designated veteran contract instead of a designated veteran extension, but they are functionally the same.

Yes, this is my understand based on what I have read (I can't quote the exact figure like Celtics2021 can though).  The only thing I think you can conclude for sure is that if he qualifies for the enhanced extension (All NBA or whatever), it is offered, and he turns it down, then you know you have to trade him.  At that point, you know it isn't about money as the extension now or the contract later are "functionally the same" as Celtics2021 explains.

If he doesn't qualify for the enhanced extension, him declining the "regular" extension doesn't mean anything.  Any player of his caliber would probably do that.  That would not mean he wants out.  It would merely mean he has decided to take the chance to wait for a bigger payday.  And at that point (when he becomes a UFA), the Celtics would still be able to offer the most years and the most money.  They would be in the best position to sign him.  So no need to panic and trade him, based purely on him declining the "regular" extension.

« Reply #501 on: April 03, 2023, 10:38:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yes, this is my understand based on what I have read (I can't quote the exact figure like Celtics2021 can though).  The only thing I think you can conclude for sure is that if he qualifies for the enhanced extension (All NBA or whatever), it is offered, and he turns it down, then you know you have to trade him.  At that point, you know it isn't about money as the extension now or the contract later are "functionally the same" as Celtics2021 explains.

If he doesn't qualify for the enhanced extension, him declining the "regular" extension doesn't mean anything.  Any player of his caliber would probably do that.  That would not mean he wants out.  It would merely mean he has decided to take the chance to wait for a bigger payday.  And at that point (when he becomes a UFA), the Celtics would still be able to offer the most years and the most money.  They would be in the best position to sign him.  So no need to panic and trade him, based purely on him declining the "regular" extension.
but that won't stop a barrage of threads from those here that love to trade away dollars for quarters  ::)

« Reply #502 on: April 03, 2023, 11:03:14 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

This is also my understanding. If he doesn't get All-NBA this year, he can still get it next year and be eligible for that +5% of the salary cap. Additionally, it'll be of a larger salary cap (although the 10% max raise helps the Celtics in this regard in that it changes the holdout calculus).

« Reply #503 on: April 03, 2023, 12:01:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

TP. Good, helpful information. And, yes, with that possibility him declining an extension this year to bet on himself making All-NBA next year would be reasonable, though that clearly provides us with risk by letting him get to free agency altogether.

« Reply #504 on: April 11, 2023, 02:20:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Thank god..

Jay King: Jaylen Brown didn’t practice today but won’t have any restrictions heading into Game 1 of the first round, per Joe Mazzulla. Mazzulla said that Marcus Smart (neck) felt good, did live action at practice and will also be ready to go for the first round.  – via Twitter ByJayKing
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #505 on: April 11, 2023, 02:29:14 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Thank god..

Jay King: Jaylen Brown didn’t practice today but won’t have any restrictions heading into Game 1 of the first round, per Joe Mazzulla. Mazzulla said that Marcus Smart (neck) felt good, did live action at practice and will also be ready to go for the first round.  – via Twitter ByJayKing

« Reply #506 on: April 11, 2023, 02:35:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thank god..

way too early to get worried about them.  if on friday neither is able to practice, then it's time to be concerned

« Reply #507 on: April 11, 2023, 02:50:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Thank god..

way too early to get worried about them.  if on friday neither is able to practice, then it's time to be concerned

Yeah I expected them to play anyways lol. I'm just hoping with Jaylen this isn't something that'll linger, or cause some issues during the game. It's not like he's the best at dribbling to begin with lol

« Reply #508 on: April 11, 2023, 02:53:37 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Are there any strange limits to these type of extensions or contracts? I know that special rookie extension Kyrie had made the AD trade a no go originally. Or are we able to dole them out to both Brown and JT when they become eligible?
Edit: Obviously management would have to be willing, but these are the types of players you keep.
#JKJB

« Reply #509 on: April 11, 2023, 02:56:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Are there any strange limits to these type of extensions or contracts? I know that special rookie extension Kyrie had made the AD trade a no go originally. Or are we able to dole them out to both Brown and JT when they become eligible?

The new CBA is doing away with those types of limits on designated players, supermax players, etc. I believe.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes