Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 62535 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2022, 07:20:14 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
The offense is just beautiful to watch. So much ball movement. So many shots they take are just wide open.

It wasn't long ago Celtics grinded out games at 80-90 points in the playoffs. What changed? Is it mazullas scheme? Player improvement/chemistry? All of the above?

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2022, 03:26:27 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
This was posted by Celtics Twitter…and I love it.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2022, 03:37:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Why is JB on fire? And why is he taller than Tatum.  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2022, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why is JB on fire? And why is he taller than Tatum.  :laugh:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wish_You_Were_Here_(Pink_Floyd_album)

Scroll down to “Packaging”.  I’ve got to assume that’s the inspiration.  I assume there’s a similar message here.  If so, I question doing this particular promotion, because it could become a distraction again as people read into the image and ask questions about it.

It was also posted with "no villains, only heroes 🔥😤".  So, rough translation:  JB isn't a villain for speaking his mind.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:53:12 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2022, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
well, not news, but interesting nonetheless. again, i am stealing from SoSH, poster t brown01923.

the celtics are taking a LOT of 3 pointers, but in the flow of mazzula's offense it may be the best thing to do. the offense is generating a ton of corner/open/wide open threes and the celtics are making them a WAY over the league average.

see below
------------
They are shooting
31.2 catch and shoot threes a game at 42.8%
16.1 open threes at 40.5%
19.1 wide open threes at 44.2%

The league (minus the celtics) is shooting

23.6 catch and shoot threes at 36% (celtics lead te league in these types of attempts)
13.4 open threes at 34% (the only teams shotting more open threes are Golden State, Dallas, Utah and Miami)
16.1 wide open threes at 38% (only teams shooting more wide open threes are Oklahoma, Indiana, MIlwaukee, Sacramento and Dallas)

So as the eye test tells us they are generating good looks and they are hitting them at a high rate
#1 in catch and shoot percentage AND 6.8% > than the rest of the league
#1 in open percentage AND 6.5% > than the rest of the league
#2 in wide open percentage (denver) AND 6.2% > rest of the league
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2022, 04:38:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, I don't know if those shooting percentages are sustainable, but so long as the threes are falling you obviously have to take them.  It's an amazing, unprecedented level of efficiency. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2022, 04:46:58 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
well, not news, but interesting nonetheless. again, i am stealing from SoSH, poster t brown01923.

the celtics are taking a LOT of 3 pointers, but in the flow of mazzula's offense it may be the best thing to do. the offense is generating a ton of corner/open/wide open threes and the celtics are making them a WAY over the league average.

see below
------------
They are shooting
31.2 catch and shoot threes a game at 42.8%
16.1 open threes at 40.5%
19.1 wide open threes at 44.2%

The league (minus the celtics) is shooting

23.6 catch and shoot threes at 36% (celtics lead te league in these types of attempts)
13.4 open threes at 34% (the only teams shotting more open threes are Golden State, Dallas, Utah and Miami)
16.1 wide open threes at 38% (only teams shooting more wide open threes are Oklahoma, Indiana, MIlwaukee, Sacramento and Dallas)

So as the eye test tells us they are generating good looks and they are hitting them at a high rate
#1 in catch and shoot percentage AND 6.8% > than the rest of the league
#1 in open percentage AND 6.5% > than the rest of the league
#2 in wide open percentage (denver) AND 6.2% > rest of the league
Very interesting.
40.5% on 31.2 attempts = 40.1 pts
36% on 23.6 attempts = 25.5 pts
If the C's regressed to the mean in percentage and still moved the ball
36% on 31.2 attempts = 33.7 pts

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2022, 05:03:51 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Yeah, I don't know if those shooting percentages are sustainable, but so long as the threes are falling you obviously have to take them.  It's an amazing, unprecedented level of efficiency.

They probably aren't completely sustainable, but the Celtics have a lot of knock-down shooters.  Most teams have multiple bad shooters on their roster that teams are willing to leave open to dare to take the shot, which they miss a lot and thus bring down their teams' rates.  The Celtics have Smart, but that's about it for their primary rotation.  It says something about their ball movement that they generate so many open shots despite often not having anyone on the floor that defenses feel too comfortable sagging off of at the 3-point line.

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2022, 05:22:57 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Horford on signing his extension:

"For me, I really did want to be a part of what we have going here," Horford said after the Celtics held a shootaround at their practice facility ahead of Friday night's game against the Miami Heat. "I felt like me coming back here last year, I felt the strides the group started to make and we've continued to make strides in the right direction.

"I feel like there's a real purpose of trying to win and the group that we have is just a really good group. So, I'm happy and we know we have a lot of work ahead. But this type of stability, it's hard to find."

"One of the things is, more than anything, you want to be in a place where you have a chance to contend, to win," Horford said. "A place that's, for me, more than basketball. Boston, I feel a real connection here with the people and with what the Celtics are all about, and it's something that just really excited me. And the fact that I get that opportunity and Brad believing in me and bringing me here, it's something that's special, and I'm really grateful for the opportunity."

"I think this was something that was going to happen at some point or another," Horford said when asked if extension talks had been in the works. "Like I said, there were different things that the team had to deal with and things like that. There was really no urgency, per se, but I wanted to make sure that this didn't drag out until free agency and the summer and all those things and just once the time was right, to work this out and just focus on the season."

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2022, 05:24:14 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

They probably aren't completely sustainable, but the Celtics have a lot of knock-down shooters.  Most teams have multiple bad shooters on their roster that teams are willing to leave open to dare to take the shot, which they miss a lot and thus bring down their teams' rates.  The Celtics have Smart, but that's about it for their primary rotation.  It says something about their ball movement that they generate so many open shots despite often not having anyone on the floor that defenses feel too comfortable sagging off of at the 3-point line.

It's crazy but after the last game Smart is now shooting 36% with 5 attempts/game.  Brown on the other hand is shooting 33.6% with 6.6 attempts/game.  The Celtics are leading the league as a team in 3% shooting at an amazing 40.8%.  Brown and Smart are not hurting the team.  This team is special.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2022, 05:58:50 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

It's crazy but after the last game Smart is now shooting 36% with 5 attempts/game.  Brown on the other hand is shooting 33.6% with 6.6 attempts/game.  The Celtics are leading the league as a team in 3% shooting at an amazing 40.8%.  Brown and Smart are not hurting the team.  This team is special.

That’s true, but he’s still shooting 32.7% on wide open 3s, so teams are likely willing to cheat off him more than other Celtics.

And again, I’m not arguing that Smart is hurting the team.  I’m just saying that our shooting might be sustainable because of the excellent hall movement that gets everyone open, of which Marcus Smart is a major contributor.

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2022, 06:24:29 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

That’s true, but he’s still shooting 32.7% on wide open 3s, so teams are likely willing to cheat off him more than other Celtics.

And again, I’m not arguing that Smart is hurting the team.  I’m just saying that our shooting might be sustainable because of the excellent hall movement that gets everyone open, of which Marcus Smart is a major contributor.
[/b]

I'm with you.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2022, 10:13:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
What is with this compacted schedule ?  Celts have had almost no 2 or 3 days of rest between games. It's been constant every other night with a few back-to-backs sprinkled in. Do I remember the league talking during off-season about shortening the calendar in an effort to finish up earlier this year ?  As with lots of sports, the seasons have run later and later.

I have not studied the second half of the schedule, but I have to think this team is tired and they start a 6-game road trip out west on Sunday, which includes playing the Lakers on the second night of a back-to-back. When was the last time we did that, home or away ?

On a side note, love what Horford had to say about his recent extension.
It's a good time to be a Boston Celtic and I would love to see this group re-establish the franchise as the premier team in the league.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2022, 10:47:35 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

The best Pink Floyd album together with DSOTM.