Author Topic: 2023 offseason target: Bulls Players?  (Read 1271 times)

2023 offseason target: Bulls Players?
« on: June 07, 2023, 04:40:33 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The Chicago Bulls are facing a dilemma with Lonzo Ball's contract eating up their salary cap space, and their current roster not being in a favorable position for improvement in the near future. It makes me wonder if the Bulls might consider rebuilding their team, freeing up salary cap space, and focusing on young players and acquiring assets from teams looking to shed salary due to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. This could be a smart move considering the upcoming financial changes in the NBA. In my opinion, the Bulls would be a great fit for the Celtics to acquire some experienced players.

Now, here's my question: What would it take for the Celtics to trade for DeMar DeRozan or Nikola Vucevic? Could a trade package involving Muscala, Pritchard, Kornet, Hauser, and Champagnie be sufficient? These players seem to add up to around $14 million, but I understand that it might not be enough to match the salaries of DeRozan, Danilo Gallinari, and a sign-and-trade involving Grant Williams and Blake Griffin would be necessary to make the numbers work.

However, what about Vucevic? It might be possible to make the salaries match in that case. But how much would Vucevic demand at this stage of his career? He's 33 years old and approaching the end of his prime. What kind of contract would he be looking for? In my opinion, the Celtics could acquire him through a sign-and-trade deal, with his first-year salary set at $17 million for a total of four years, amounting to $75 million. I'm really curious to see what kind of contract the Bulls offer him to find out the final answer.

So, here's my question: If the Bulls were interested and Vucevic was on board, would you make this trade? Of course, the Celtics would have to include a draft pick, but I don't think much more than that would be necessary. If the Bulls are intrigued by the direction I outlined earlier, there are many benefits for them. They would gain draft picks, take care of their player (which always looks good), and have young players to showcase for potential additional draft assets at the trade deadline.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: 2023 offseason target: Bulls Players?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 05:08:44 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't want DeRozan. I believe he would distort our offense further. He is a one-on-one player. He doesn't space the floor. He works in the 15-20 feet range. He will get in the way of Tatum & Jaylen. And it will hard for our team to have good offensive teamwork with those 3 guys taking turns going iso.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 05:14:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Vucevic is a mixed guy. An interesting target. A guy who could help us a lot offensively. One of the most skilled and versatile offensive centers in the NBA (post play, midrange game, outside shot, interior passer, high post passer). A strong rebounder. But a dodgy defender who doesn't fit our switch-heavy defensive system.

I am interested in him as a trade target but I am undecided how interested. Vucevic could help us but just how much would he help? Small improvement or large improvement? Guaranteed improvement or risk of a stepback?

How much does he cost in salary & trade assets to acquire? Does acquiring him mean we need to make other moves to incorporate him (who is the PF?)? Are we willing to change the defensive system?

It would be nice to have an offensive skilled seven footer on the team. Someone who can serve as a reference point for the offense to function around. Horford was that when he first arrived but more as a facilitator than a scorer. Vucevic is a scorer who can facilitate. Horford does not really offer that anymore. He is more peripheral than before to our offense.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 05:39:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I see Vuc as Al Horford's replacement on offense. Our defense relies heavily on switching, which Vuc may not be accustomed to, but that's how most NBA teams play nowadays. He has to adjust his game to fit in, otherwise he might not have a place in the league anymore.

When Lonzo was healthy, Vuc played a significant role on the Bulls team that had a great season for about 75% of the way. I believe he would be a solid addition, and if things don't work out, we can always trade his contract in the future at the numbers I’m projecting.

I won't make this trade unless it's exactly the deal I described earlier. I'm looking to move the end of our bench and a first-round draft pick in 2024, as long as it's protected for the lottery. If we can get something similar to that, then taking the risk is definitely worth the potential gain.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 09:07:58 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Neither LaVine, DeRozan of Vucevic is the guy for me. The only player I'm interested in is Caruso.
Caruso has made an defensive impact everywhere. His on- and off-numbers are off the charts.

He's one of those players who flies under the radar. To me Caruso who'd be a fine Smart-replacement.
And a fan favourite instantly.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 09:42:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Neither LaVine, DeRozan of Vucevic is the guy for me. The only player I'm interested in is Caruso.
Caruso has made an defensive impact everywhere. His on- and off-numbers are off the charts.

He's one of those players who flies under the radar. To me Caruso who'd be a fine Smart-replacement.

I would have liked to see a Drummond + Javonte Green move at the deadline.  Both would have helped, assuming Joe played them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 10:20:03 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I would have liked to see a Drummond + Javonte Green move at the deadline.  Both would have helped, assuming Joe played them.

Javonte and Tatum are buddies too