Author Topic: Should the Patriots Sign Tom Brady for One Final Run in 2023-2024?  (Read 6482 times)

Re: Should the Patriots Sign Tom Brady for One Final Run in 2023-2024?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 08:21:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He might actually be worse than Mac next year, but even if he isn't, he isn't going to make that garbage offense any good (even with a different play caller).  And even if the Patriots offense wasn't garbage, why would he want to deal with Bill again?  Bill is a very large reason why he left.

I'd say in order the top 5 most likely things for Brady for next year are:

1. Stay with Bucs
2. Retire
3. Sign with Vegas
4. Sign with Niners
5. Sign with Dolphins

And I put the top 2 choices at around 45% each (or 90% combined).
put #1 at 80% by itself.  can't see him blowing up his marriage to unretire for just a season.
I think of that whole thing differently.  I think he retired to try to save his marriage and then realized he couldn't save it, so he went back to football both because he still wanted to play but also because he wanted the distraction.
guess we hear things through different grapevines regarding why he unretired. 

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 08:31:52 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Can the Bucs give him a team that can compete for a title? If so, I do not see him leaving, but I am skeptical they can do that for him. I also doubt he stops until he wins another title, even if it takes him until he’s 50.

It would be interesting to see him leave the Bucs for the Dolphins, so he can still claim he’s a New England/Florida guy who cares about titles above all else. Thank the Bucs and tell them he’s leaving for southern Florida because of wide receiver Tyreek Hill, and left tackle Terron Armstead. Dolphins would probably have a hard time moving on from Tagovailoa, but they could surely get a nice RB for Brady if they were willing to trade Tagovailoa for one. They’ve definitely got perfect WRs and a great LT all tailor-made for Brady. The only question would be how long they get elite Brady. Even if it’s a single title and done, sometimes that’s worth it, especially for a franchise that has not won a title in almost 50 years.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 08:34:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Can the Bucs give him a team that can compete for a title? If so, I do not see him leaving, but I am skeptical they can do that for him. I also doubt he stops until he wins another title, even if it takes him until he’s 50.

It would be interesting to see him leave the Bucs for the Dolphins, so he can still claim he’s a New England/Florida guy. Dolphins would probably have a hard time moving on from Tagovailoa, though. But they could surely get a nice RB for Brady if they were willing to trade Tagovailoa. They’ve definitely got perfect WRs and a great LT all tailor-made for Brady.

They are not moving on from Tua. He just had a breakout year and is young. Could definitely see Brady going to the 49ers, though. QB is the only thing they are missing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 08:50:05 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 10:04:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It would be interesting to see him leave the Bucs for the Dolphins, so he can still claim he’s a New England/Florida guy. Dolphins would probably have a hard time moving on from Tagovailoa, though. But they could surely get a nice RB for Brady if they were willing to trade Tagovailoa. They’ve definitely got perfect WRs and a great LT all tailor-made for Brady.

They are not moving on from Tua. He just had a breakout year and is young. Could definitely see Brady going to the 49ers, though. QB is the only thing they are missing.
They've lost 3 straight and Tua has not been very good overall in those 3 games.  I think there is a real chance they'd move on from him for a short term guy like Brady and then starting the process of finding a franchise QB in a season or two.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2022, 10:49:25 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

They've lost 3 straight and Tua has not been very good overall in those 3 games.  I think there is a real chance they'd move on from him for a short term guy like Brady and then starting the process of finding a franchise QB in a season or two.

Teams don’t make decisions on players based on 3 games. They look at the whole season. Also, the 3 losses were to the Bills, 49ers, and Chargers and he was only bad for one of those.

In 12 games played, Tua has thrown 24 TD’s to only 5INT’s for 3200 yards, with a passer rating of 108. I understand Brady’s O-line has been bad this year and Jensen is out, but Tua has been better than Tom this season in nearly every category and the Dolphins have a better record than the Buc’s. They are not moving on from Tua after he had his best year.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 11:07:34 AM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 01:53:36 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Saw a tweet that said patriots and Bill have agreed to part ways at the end of the season.  Amazing if true!

https://twitter.com/S_CharlesNFL/status/1605955036864909314
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2022, 02:12:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Saw a tweet that said patriots and Bill have agreed to part ways at the end of the season.  Amazing if true!

Well - that’s a blockbuster news story if true.  I don’t know what to think. 

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2022, 02:52:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Well - that’s a blockbuster news story if true.  I don’t know what to think.

The twitter account is bogus. Just look at some of his other tweets.

Simon Charles
@S_CharlesNFL
Esteemed sports journalist & Patriots Beat Writer Double PHD in Journalism & Female Anatomy
Joined December 2020

I do think Bill is on thin ice with Kraft, though.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2022, 03:02:12 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
While I still think my prior post has some merit and kraft may be ready to move on, this one appears to be more accurate and kudos to Robert Kraft and the fan!

https://mobile.twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1605984787948220417
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2022, 05:38:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Teams don’t make decisions on players based on 3 games. They look at the whole season. Also, the 3 losses were to the Bills, 49ers, and Chargers and he was only bad for one of those.

In 12 games played, Tua has thrown 24 TD’s to only 5INT’s for 3200 yards, with a passer rating of 108. I understand Brady’s O-line has been bad this year and Jensen is out, but Tua has been better than Tom this season in nearly every category and the Dolphins have a better record than the Buc’s. They are not moving on from Tua after he had his best year.

Yeah the idea the dolphins would give up on tua for a 46 year old Brady who has extremely average this year is pretty silly. Plus their star receiver recently came out praising tua. Keeping things a bit more logical I do think Brady is possible to come back to pats. An nfl insider was recently saying the idea of bill and Brady hating each other is completely inaccurate. In addition to leaving the buccaneers and missing practice to go to krafts wedding with all his old patriot friends, Brady recently met with bill for like 25 minutes in the locker room during the pats bucs game. I don’t think it is likely but it’s impossible.

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2022, 06:41:40 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Yeah the idea the dolphins would give up on tua for a 46 year old Brady who has extremely average this year is pretty silly. Plus their star receiver recently came out praising tua. Keeping things a bit more logical I do think Brady is possible to come back to pats. An nfl insider was recently saying the idea of bill and Brady hating each other is completely inaccurate. In addition to leaving the buccaneers and missing practice to go to krafts wedding with all his old patriot friends, Brady recently met with bill for like 25 minutes in the locker room during the pats bucs game. I don’t think it is likely but it’s impossible.

I don’t doubt that Bill and Brady have a civil relationship. It might even be a good relationship.  20 years is a long time to work closely with someone. If I were to bet on it, I’d guess that there is mutual respect but likely they don’t want to work together again.   I would think Brady would want warm weather, great receiving core, and a solid line - esp left tackle.  An offensive coordinator that Brady wants to work with is probably on the list. I don’t think Pats check any boxes right now.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2022, 09:02:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I don’t doubt that Bill and Brady have a civil relationship. It might even be a good relationship.  20 years is a long time to work closely with someone. If I were to bet on it, I’d guess that there is mutual respect but likely they don’t want to work together again.   I would think Brady would want warm weather, great receiving core, and a solid line - esp left tackle.  An offensive coordinator that Brady wants to work with is probably on the list. I don’t think Pats check any boxes right now.

San Francisco on the other hand, checks off just about every box. Elite skill position players, good O-line, strong defense, offensive minded coach, warm weather. Brady is also from California and was a Niners fan growing up. If he leaves Tampa, San Francisco makes a lot of sense.

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2022, 07:31:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

They don't, but they were also willing to move off of him in the offseason, probably don't want to commit to a huge long term contract with him, etc.  Tua, at his absolute best, is what, the 10th best QB in the league.  At his absolute best.  But he is far from his absolute best most of the time.  Are they going to end up in the type of situation the Ravens had with Flacco i.e. paying market value for a QB that just isn't good enough except in rare moments and basically settle in as a good, but not great team (The Vikings with Cousins and Cowboys with Dak may very well fit that mold).  If they think Tua is going to want near top dollar of 40 million + a year, I'm not sure they will or should pay that, and if they feel they would need to, why wouldn't they try to move on now, trade Tua for some value, and take their shot for a year or 2 with the goat.  They then move on and look to find an actual franchise QB.  Teams often don't want to pull the trigger on that sort of move, so I would expect Miami to stand firm, but I just don't think that is their best chance to win, especially if Tua wants one of those big contracts.  Now if they can lock Tua up long term at like 25 million a year, I think they should do that.  They can use the money they save on the QB on other spots and overcome the fact that their QB is a top 15 level player instead of a legit top 5 or 10 player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2022, 07:17:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They don't, but they were also willing to move off of him in the offseason, probably don't want to commit to a huge long term contract with him, etc.  Tua, at his absolute best, is what, the 10th best QB in the league.  At his absolute best.  But he is far from his absolute best most of the time.  Are they going to end up in the type of situation the Ravens had with Flacco i.e. paying market value for a QB that just isn't good enough except in rare moments and basically settle in as a good, but not great team (The Vikings with Cousins and Cowboys with Dak may very well fit that mold).  If they think Tua is going to want near top dollar of 40 million + a year, I'm not sure they will or should pay that, and if they feel they would need to, why wouldn't they try to move on now, trade Tua for some value, and take their shot for a year or 2 with the goat.  They then move on and look to find an actual franchise QB.  Teams often don't want to pull the trigger on that sort of move, so I would expect Miami to stand firm, but I just don't think that is their best chance to win, especially if Tua wants one of those big contracts.  Now if they can lock Tua up long term at like 25 million a year, I think they should do that.  They can use the money they save on the QB on other spots and overcome the fact that their QB is a top 15 level player instead of a legit top 5 or 10 player.

Oh man so many things wrong with this post, but I’ll start with the most obvious. How is Brady signing for a cheaper contract than Tua when he just lost half his money in crypto? That is probably his main motivation for Continuing his career if he does.

Brady has also been worse than Tua this year and is
Obviously going to continue to have a slight decline as he approaches 50. Is he better than mac? He probably
Is but the patriots would have to sign beckham and a few other receivers and a left tackle. The dolphins though? It just makes no sense.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 07:34:53 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2022, 08:41:24 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Don’t count out the Dolphins. The situation with Tua may be worse than we suspect. Dolphins would make a financial killing if they signed Brady and traded Tua for a top quality RB for Brady. Tom’s gonna probably play until he’s 50, so it’s not a bad bet for the Dolphins. Been 50 years since they last won a Super Bowl, so they’re due. Nobody’s QB’d three different franchises to a Super Bowl, so this is the next natural thing for Brady to try for. Why leave Florida when the best WR duo and one of the best LTs in the league is on the Dolphins?

Brady even owns a home in Miami and two of his kids live there. I’d bet on Tom joining the Dolphins after he negotiates some killer deal for part-ownership of the club, in return playing for relative peanuts given the ownership and sponsorship deals he would have by conquering all of Florida with a move to Miami.