Author Topic: Pickle ball is just dumb.  (Read 72078 times)

Re: Pickle ball is just dumb.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 09:37:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Pickle Ball is a lot of fun and you don’t need to be very athletic to play. Good exercise, too. What I don’t understand is why athletes from other sports are investing in professional leagues. I can’t see that being popular to watch, ever.

Liam, did you try playing or were you watching on TV?

Watching a sports story... I have friends in Austin that are hugely into it.

Yeah, it’s terrible to watch. I’m not sure I’d consider it a sport. More of a fun activity.

The refs are better than NBA refs!  8)

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 11:07:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Okay I am an old man not on social media so had to Google what pickleball is. Looks like paddleball, something done not as a sport, but just for fun while at the beach here in Florida.

People want to pay to see people do this? What's next? An Olympic sport?

Well, is curling can be considered a sport, I guess pickleball can too.

Did you hear that “breaking” (break dancing) is now an Olympic sport, beginning at the Paris games in 2024?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 11:18:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Okay I am an old man not on social media so had to Google what pickleball is. Looks like paddleball, something done not as a sport, but just for fun while at the beach here in Florida.

Did you hear that “breaking” (break dancing) is now an Olympic sport, beginning at the Paris games in 2024?

That was a joke, right?  ???
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2022, 11:52:03 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
What on earth is pickle ball ???

Ping pong on steroids.

I think ping pong is way more exciting if you can call ping pong exciting...
When it's called table tennis, it can be exciting.  Been an Olympic sport for quite a while. 

I can understand pickleball.  Teqball makes no sense to me. 

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 12:47:09 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I played pickle ball in school once. Those balls hurt when it collides with your fingers while you're trying to hit it with the pickle racket  :'(

I like tennis better. I have lotta rackets stashed somewhere in my garage.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 01:28:51 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

When nose picking becomes an Olympic sport I'll expect a call.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2022, 01:52:19 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Have a friend in Florida who plays all the time and loves it.  I still haven’t ever seen it played so not sure I’ve got it pictured exactly right.  Unfortunately I’ve got this chronic strain in at the top of my thigh that tweaks with any quick awkward movements (like when I sneeze lol). Also hurts when lifting my knee up - like to put on socks. No pain walking but can’t really run as my knee lifts past a jog. So… no pickle ball happening in my future. Actually now that I think of it, only walking and an occasional (and remarkably incompetent) game of golf for me.

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2022, 02:20:13 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

That was a joke, right?  ???

Sadly, no.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2022, 02:48:24 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 09:45:35 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Have a friend in Florida who plays all the time and loves it.  I still haven’t ever seen it played so not sure I’ve got it pictured exactly right.  Unfortunately I’ve got this chronic strain in at the top of my thigh that tweaks with any quick awkward movements (like when I sneeze lol). Also hurts when lifting my knee up - like to put on socks. No pain walking but can’t really run as my knee lifts past a jog. So… no pickle ball happening in my future. Actually now that I think of it, only walking and an occasional (and remarkably incompetent) game of golf for me.

I honestly think Golf might be more strenuous. Haha. This is what it looks like: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWj2LXecHU
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2022, 10:13:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
First off, yes, I agree, no reason for pickleball to become an actual pay-to-watch game. Like, have any of you actually watched high level ultimate frisbee leagues? That is way higher on my list than pickle ball.

I am also peeved that they have taken a couple of basketball courts in my area and turned them into pickle ball courts. Not temporarily, mind you - like took down the hoops, put up nets, and repainted the surface. I get that pickle ball probably brings in a more desirable crowd to people in my neighborhood, but there are already enough tennis courts to do this with.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2022, 10:16:25 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
First off, yes, I agree, no reason for pickleball to become an actual pay-to-watch game. Like, have any of you actually watched high level ultimate frisbee leagues? That is way higher on my list than pickle ball.

I am also peeved that they have taken a couple of basketball courts in my area and turned them into pickle ball courts. Not temporarily, mind you - like took down the hoops, put up nets, and repainted the surface. I get that pickle ball probably brings in a more desirable crowd to people in my neighborhood, but there are already enough tennis courts to do this with.

I am in the middle of the grass growing season. It's fall so the season is slowing down.

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I honestly think Golf might be more strenuous. Haha. This is what it looks like: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWj2LXecHU
when a bunch of non-pros play.

this is a recent men's double championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYyij4ykTI

or the US national championships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCIOb7v_4-A (check out the rally starting at around 12:10 in the women's doubles final)

Much different looking than the video you posted.

People watch tennis, I'd rather watch top level pickleball than tennis.  A lot more action. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2022, 03:40:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

That is how I badly injured my upper medial calf; made an explosive move to the kitchen (inside space of pickleball court).  The only thing that exploded was my calf.  I'm into my 4th month of rehab. Ugh. 

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 04:29:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Yeah looks low key but even the need for a few quick steps or awkward body movements would tweak me.  It's too bad because of it wasn’t for that muscle in my thigh I’d be able to do a number of sports.