Author Topic: NFL 2022 Season  (Read 117255 times)

Re: NFL 2022 Season
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2022, 01:10:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Hackett is getting killed for the end of game.  I thought it was the right call.

People are focusing on the FG attempt, but the entire last possession for Denver was horribly played. There was one dropped pass, a couple of bad overthrows from Wilson, and two plays where Denver completed a pass for a gain and could've gone out of bounds to stop the clock but didn't, each time costing themselves about 25 seconds of game clock.

I mean, they got the ball on their own 22 with 4:02 left and all three timeouts available, plus the 2-minute warning, plus Seattle called two timeouts (one for a measurement challenge, one for an injured player). They needed only a field goal to win, and they needed to go only about 45-50 yards to have a reasonable FG attempt. And they just couldn't do it.

Agreed there was a lot of bad stuff all around on that drive from coaching to execution to clock management. I will say the analytics on the 64 yard kick were really bad though. The kickers career long was 61 and that is with him playing many years in Denver. The conversion rate is actually extremely bad all kickers in the last 20 years. Russell Wilson’s conversion rate or even league average on 4th and 5 is significantly higher than that. You don’t see coaches go that hard against the math very often these days.

« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2022, 01:15:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hackett is getting killed for the end of game.  I thought it was the right call.

People are focusing on the FG attempt, but the entire last possession for Denver was horribly played. There was one dropped pass, a couple of bad overthrows from Wilson, and two plays where Denver completed a pass for a gain and could've gone out of bounds to stop the clock but didn't, each time costing themselves about 25 seconds of game clock.

I mean, they got the ball on their own 22 with 4:02 left and all three timeouts available, plus the 2-minute warning, plus Seattle called two timeouts (one for a measurement challenge, one for an injured player). They needed only a field goal to win, and they needed to go only about 45-50 yards to have a reasonable FG attempt. And they just couldn't do it.
That is all true.  That said McManus hasn't hit a FG longer than 55 yards outside in 6 years, so even if they got the 4th and 5, unless they got a lot more yards, I don't know that the kick would have been all that much easier.  I don't know that a 59 yard kick is much different than a 64 yard kick these days.  Maybe it is, but you still have to get the 4th and 5 and the Broncos weren't exactly consistent in that game.  They obviously had enough time though that even had they gone for it and missed with all 3 timeouts they would have been able to get the ball back if they held Seattle to a 3 and out.  So maybe they should have just immediately run up to the line and gone for it.  Guess I talked myself into thinking they should have gone for it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2022, 02:34:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Agreed there was a lot of bad stuff all around on that drive from coaching to execution to clock management. I will say the analytics on the 64 yard kick were really bad though. The kickers career long was 61 and that is with him playing many years in Denver. The conversion rate is actually extremely bad all kickers in the last 20 years. Russell Wilson’s conversion rate or even league average on 4th and 5 is significantly higher than that. You don’t see coaches go that hard against the math very often these days.

Yeah, I'd probably have taken my chances with Wilson. But Denver kept playing with fire—I mean, two goal-line fumbles? Terrible. Just like the Niners and the Bengals kept playing with fire in their games and got burned. You can't keep giving opponents chances.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2022, 02:38:12 PM »

• Satch Sanders

That is all true.  That said McManus hasn't hit a FG longer than 55 yards outside in 6 years, so even if they got the 4th and 5, unless they got a lot more yards, I don't know that the kick would have been all that much easier.  I don't know that a 59 yard kick is much different than a 64 yard kick these days.  Maybe it is, but you still have to get the 4th and 5 and the Broncos weren't exactly consistent in that game.  They obviously had enough time though that even had they gone for it and missed with all 3 timeouts they would have been able to get the ball back if they held Seattle to a 3 and out.  So maybe they should have just immediately run up to the line and gone for it.  Guess I talked myself into thinking they should have gone for it.

Yeah, I didn't realize how bad he'd been on super-long FGs. He's no Elam or Prater, that's for sure.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2022, 04:35:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

They also went for 4th down twice in the 3rd quarter and both resulted in fumbles. Had they kicked one of the FGs, they may have won the game, idk.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2022, 04:44:03 PM »

• Satch Sanders

They also went for 4th down twice in the 3rd quarter and both resulted in fumbles. Had they kicked one of the FGs, they may have won the game, idk.

Another "what if?", for sure.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2022, 11:52:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Denver coach admits they should have gone for this. Between this and the absolutely brutal math on the kick, this was pretty clearly a mistake. Glad he was at least able to admit it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34587229/denver-broncos-definitely-gone-critical-fourth-nathaniel-hackett-says

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2022, 01:09:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think most of us already knew Favre was a scumbag but this takes it to a new level.

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09/13/phil-bryant-brett-favre-welfare/

The newly released texts, filed Monday by an attorney representing Nancy New’s nonprofit, show that Bryant, Favre, New, Davis and others worked together to channel at least $5 million of the state’s welfare funds to build a new volleyball stadium at University of Southern Mississippi, where Favre’s daughter played the sport. Favre received most of the credit for raising funds to construct the facility.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2022, 10:38:31 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Chargers going to Chargers.

Herbert is phenomenal, but the history of choking with that organization lol... I mean even in this game, a 10-0 lead and then tied 17-17 with a great drive, and Herbert throws a pick 6...

And that coach, while he may be smart is also someone who I feel is holding the team back. Look at last season and some of the games and how they ended.

All this talent on the Chargers, they should make a deep playoff run but I doubt it
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2022, 10:49:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This really is an entertaining game and I like the announcing combo.  They already feel like they've been together for a decade.  I guess that is what happens when you put 2 seasoned professionals together.  They just step right in, get their job done, and do it well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2022, 10:53:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Justin Herbert down...Chase Daniels warming up.

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2022, 10:53:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Oh boy... it didn't even look like a bad hit but hope Herbert is okay

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2022, 10:57:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Man he's getting abused out there

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2022, 11:00:05 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

They punted it and KC pretty much iced it with that run.

Their coach (Staley) confuses me. There was a game against KC last season where this guy went for like every 4th down and 2-point conversion lol. Then tonight he's mostly conservative...

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2022, 11:02:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

They punted it and KC pretty much iced it with that run.

Their coach (Staley) confuses me. There was a game against KC last season where this guy went for like every 4th down and 2-point conversion lol. Then tonight he's mostly conservative...

Too aggressive to the point where he folds. Too conservative and he folds. I don't think Staley's a good coach lol