Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 116828 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1900
Patriots offense is just putrid and they look so much worse than last season. Making Patricia the play caller on offense was beyond stupid.
Hiring Patricia at all was a mistake. Dude is a complete dud.

It’s becoming painful how much Bill plays favourites with incompetent people

I didn't hate the offense today relative to what has been said about the offense all pre-season.  It's a work in progress and they've got a long way to go but I look forward to seeing improvement as the season moves on.  They are simply not contenders and like every team that doesn't have the GOAT as their QB, the Patriots are JAT until they strike gold again.  Which could be 20 years from now.   

For me it's a reset of expectations with a little bit of sustained gratitude for the previous 20 years.   I have to watch them now through different eyes while remembering that somehow I was a very invested fan for the vast majority (I was only 2 when Billy Sullivan was awarded an AFL franchise in 1960) of the 40 years before they won their first Super Bowl.    Somehow the games were still interesting.  Somehow I looked forward to every Sunday.  And when they made the playoffs it was exciting, not 'no big deal'.   

The outcome today wasn't good, but I enjoyed watching. And I think Mac Jones has a chance to be the 2nd best QB in franchise history -- which would mean competitive football is still in our future.     

And Celtics training camp is just a few weeks away!

God, I can't wait.  Sox really suck and the Pats don't look like a playoff team.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2022, 06:54:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1519
Patriots offense is just putrid and they look so much worse than last season. Making Patricia the play caller on offense was beyond stupid.

I didn't hate the offense today relative to what has been said about the offense all pre-season.  It's a work in progress and they've got a long way to go but I look forward to seeing improvement as the season moves on.  They are simply not contenders and like every team that doesn't have the GOAT as their QB, the Patriots are JAT until they strike gold again.  Which could be 20 years from now.   

For me it's a reset of expectations with a little bit of sustained gratitude for the previous 20 years.   I have to watch them now through different eyes while remembering that somehow I was a very invested fan for the vast majority (I was only 2 when Billy Sullivan was awarded an AFL franchise in 1960) of the 40 years before they won their first Super Bowl.    Somehow the games were still interesting.  Somehow I looked forward to every Sunday.  And when they made the playoffs it was exciting, not 'no big deal'.   

The outcome today wasn't good, but I enjoyed watching. And I think Mac Jones has a chance to be the 2nd best QB in franchise history -- which would mean competitive football is still in our future.     

Yeah, that’s not going to fly with the fanbase or Robert Kraft. Bill spent $160M+ in free agency during the 2021 off-season and he makes all decisions with coaches, FA signings, and the draft. Pats are now In year 3 of a rebuild.

If McVay can get to the super bowl twice in the last 4 years with Goff and Stafford as his QB’s, Bill should be able to put together a good enough team to make a deep run if he’s as good a coach and GM as everyone says.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 09:41:56 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2022, 06:58:37 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 328
Totally unsurprising start to the season for New England. And I think there will be several more losses like this one in the next couple of months. And if Jones is out for a while, it'll be even worse. Defense did okay, but Tua isn't much of a test, IMO. The offense was fairly bad, as expected.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2022, 07:14:00 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

God, I can't wait. Sox really suck and the Pats don't look like a playoff team.

We have been historically fortunate for the last two decades with the Patriots and Red Sox, but alas it can’t last forever.

Although FSG are cheap, they have a proven winning formula with the Red Sox.

I am slightly worried about the future of the Pats given that Robert Kraft is 81 years old and Bill Belichick is 70, thus there are many directions the team could go.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 07:43:07 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2022, 07:36:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lots of over the top over reactions here.

First, the defense played well and will only get better. It's game #1. Bill's defenses always get better as the season goes on. There's a bunch of weapons on that Miami offense and they scored 1 TD and just 13 points.

Second, if that interference gets called in the end zone on the first drive, it's a different game.

Third, the Pats have always sucked in Miami in the summer. It's a terrible environment for colder weather cities to play in so early in the season. That heat and humidity just smacks in you in the face when you get off the plane and it doesn't go away. So we shouldn't be surprised by the result. Losing in Miami in summer is what happens to the Patriots.

Lastly, it's the first game of the season. This team has started 2-2 and won Super Bowls....not Super Bowl, but Super Bowls after slow starts. Bill's teams play best in November, December and January, historically. So let's give them a chance before burying them.

Of course, everything changes if Mac Jones is seriously hurt, in which case, nevermind everything I just said unless Bailey Zappe pulls a Tom Brady replacing Drew Bledsoe.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 07:49:27 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2022, 07:47:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 3119
  • On To Banner 18!
So Joe Judge gets fired by the Giants and suddenly Daniel Jones and the Giants offense look decent

Huh... I wonder why?  ::)

But that was a great win by the Giants today. Good for Daboll too on his debut
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2022, 08:25:48 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1900
Time for a 1987 REM song----It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2022, 10:42:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
If Kendrick Bourne demanded a trade this week, I wouldn't blame him. Absolutely ridiculous that our 2nd best WR and probably the most versatile guy on our offense is basically benched due to Belichick's and the coaching staff's ego.

And go figure, when he finally comes into the game, 2 plays later Mac connects with him on a 41-yard deep pass which looked awesome. Then he basically got benched again in the drive Agholor fumbled  ::)

Also, it's scary that this team is paying A TON (I think 60M+ combined) for extremely mediocre production at WR. Only Meyers and Bourne are reliable, and Henry but Henry is a TE.

Look at Miami. They got Waddle, Hill, and a bunch of great pieces AND coaching to surround Tua and help their QB. Then look at New England. Two clowns running the offense (Patricia, Judge) and lets be real, do we have anyone close to the level of Tyreek or even Waddle? I don't think so.
Bourne is a very good player with a very good connection with Mac.

So naturally he will be benched

Bourne was asked what he has been told about his benching.

“Not sure. Just playing my role. Whatever I have to do, I’m just waiting for that moment,” Bourne told reporters, including ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss. “I don’t really know, so I’m waiting for my opportunity.”

NBC Sports Boston’s Phil Perry reported after the game that Bourne kept holding up one finger on the sideline after his big catch, as if to say “one target, one big play.” Bourne also appeared heated on the sideline after Nelson Algholor’s late fumble, and Jonnu Smith came over to help him calm down.

“[He is] somebody who is frustrated, would like to play more,” Perry said in a TV hit postgame. “And I can tell you his teammates — there are some that I’ve spoken to that would like to see him play more as well, and they are surprised they are not seeing more of Kendrick Bourne.”
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2022, 11:18:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1407
If Kendrick Bourne demanded a trade this week, I wouldn't blame him. Absolutely ridiculous that our 2nd best WR and probably the most versatile guy on our offense is basically benched due to Belichick's and the coaching staff's ego.

And go figure, when he finally comes into the game, 2 plays later Mac connects with him on a 41-yard deep pass which looked awesome. Then he basically got benched again in the drive Agholor fumbled  ::)

Also, it's scary that this team is paying A TON (I think 60M+ combined) for extremely mediocre production at WR. Only Meyers and Bourne are reliable, and Henry but Henry is a TE.

Look at Miami. They got Waddle, Hill, and a bunch of great pieces AND coaching to surround Tua and help their QB. Then look at New England. Two clowns running the offense (Patricia, Judge) and lets be real, do we have anyone close to the level of Tyreek or even Waddle? I don't think so.

“Not sure. Just playing my role. Whatever I have to do, I’m just waiting for that moment,” Bourne told reporters, including ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss. “I don’t really know, so I’m waiting for my opportunity.”

NBC Sports Boston’s Phil Perry reported after the game that Bourne kept holding up one finger on the sideline after his big catch, as if to say “one target, one big play.” Bourne also appeared heated on the sideline after Nelson Algholor’s late fumble, and Jonnu Smith came over to help him calm down.

“[He is] somebody who is frustrated, would like to play more,” Perry said in a TV hit postgame. “And I can tell you his teammates — there are some that I’ve spoken to that would like to see him play more as well, and they are surprised they are not seeing more of Kendrick Bourne.”

I mean from this story he is both showing up the coaches with his one finger gesture (and perhaps also his qb). Then probably his teammate doesn’t like this reaction to fumble. Would probably be a trade candidate if this happens (or just forced to cut him).

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2022, 11:28:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I mean from this story he is both showing up the coaches with his one finger gesture (and perhaps also his qb). Then probably his teammate doesn’t like this reaction to fumble. Would probably be a trade candidate if this happens (or just forced to cut him).
Bad attitude will get you benched on any football team unless you are an elite player. Bourne needs to keep his mouth shut, his head right and perform like a star in practice. If he does that, he will get his playing time.

Belichick doesn't have issues benching players for whatever reasons. If your outspoken about your playing time publicly(or in the locker room) expect a benching. Bill sat Malcolm Butler in a SB and team captain Richard Seymour for taking too many days off for his father dying. So if Bourne is being a d!ck, he should expect being benched. 

« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2022, 04:59:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Reality check time fellas. Tom Brady isn't walking through that door. Bill Is terrible at finding talent especially on offense. 

It's utterly ridiculous that the team is worth 5 to 6 billion dollars and we have not one game breaking talent. 

It's time to move on from Bill. He's a stubborn old man well past his prime.

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2022, 08:10:52 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bill's nepotism hiring pratices is killing this franchise from the top down. It's time for a strong gm and oversite. I like the coach but the decline in management of staff and talent evaluation is obvious.

I have always felt in football there are no rebuilds unless you are throwing out the coaching staff and gm. The team should not be this bad. In all honesty feels like Bill wants to leave and he is burning the franchise.

The Krafts needs to hire a "consultant/gm to be" now to start planning on the replacement of Bill and the entire staff. Also a secondary scout group. Just like Bill does to his players put some pressure on Bill and tell him he is getting too old for the job, that he is on the decline.

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2022, 10:20:24 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Mac Jones had the second-quickest time to throw in the NFL in Week 1. He was under constant pressure and had to get rid of it quickly.

Jones had 3 seconds or more to throw on only 3 percent of his dropbacks -- by far the lowest in the NFL in Week 1.

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2022, 10:42:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1666
  • What a Pub Should Be
Mac Jones had the second-quickest time to throw in the NFL in Week 1. He was under constant pressure and had to get rid of it quickly.

Jones had 3 seconds or more to throw on only 3 percent of his dropbacks -- by far the lowest in the NFL in Week 1.

O-Line looked atrocious yesterday. 

People can blame the WRs but if you're constantly getting pressured in the pocket, you're gonna struggle to even get them the ball and the timing is going to be all off.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2022, 12:23:46 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Bill's nepotism hiring pratices is killing this franchise from the top down. It's time for a strong gm and oversite. I like the coach but the decline in management of staff and talent evaluation is obvious.

I have always felt in football there are no rebuilds unless you are throwing out the coaching staff and gm. The team should not be this bad. In all honesty feels like Bill wants to leave and he is burning the franchise.

The Krafts needs to hire a "consultant/gm to be" now to start planning on the replacement of Bill and the entire staff. Also a secondary scout group. Just like Bill does to his players put some pressure on Bill and tell him he is getting too old for the job, that he is on the decline.

Huge TP. Very well said.