Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 108906 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2022, 09:03:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Few people on earth know about throwing more than Tom House. His coaching work can be traced back as far as the days of Nolan Ryan in baseball, and as recently as Tom Brady in football.

So, one day a little less than 10 years ago, House was walking by Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s office when Belichick called him in to ask a question.

House told the story on the Rich Eisen Show.
“Tell me why I shouldn’t trade Tom Brady,” Belichick said, according to House.
House made a case for Brady, who was around 36 or 37 years old at the time. He said that if Brady could follow four principles; biomechanics, functional strength, mental and emotional management, and nutrition and sleep for recovery, he’d be able to function the same way at age 45 as he did when he was 25.

“I said that if Tom does those four things, which he does to the T, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to play until he’s 45, and here we are,” said House.

I found this one funny, because I'm still not entirely convinced that Tom Brady isn't a Terminator built to throw a football.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2022, 10:52:33 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Brady made less and Bill still didn’t max out signings. Many asked why he wasn’t spending more for years.

Pats improved last year with a rookie QB. They lose the first game of his second season and now the greatest coach and a tremendous GM should get fired? Guy at the top of 6 Super Bowls only had success because of Brady making less money?

Garbage takes.
He has been the head coach of 9 full seasons that didn't have Brady play more than 1 game, only 3 were above .500 with a 1-2 record in the playoffs.  With Brady, his worst regular season was 10-6, twice, he was 11-5 twice (they were 11-3 with Brady one of them), every other season they won at least 12 games.  It isn't exactly crazy to wonder how good Bill actually is without Brady.  And then of course Brady goes to 7-9 team that hadn't been in the playoffs in over a decade and immediately wins 11 games and leads them to the championship and then followed that up with a 13 win season and another playoff victory.  The evidence is really starting to mount up that Brady, not Bill, was the main driver of the success of the Patriots.

Ouch. Got you pretty good there Smart.  Any rebuttle to those facts?

Rebuttal- you guys must have missed the last 20 years. Belichick found countless gems in the late rounds and coached them up to outperform expectations. He coached Brady up and let him succeed early with a great defense. Brady’s stats weren’t great for a couple years, yet they had 3 SBs in their pocket. The last Rams SB was a great job by Belichick. Other teams would be lucky to have Bill, yet some want him gone? Who else has done what Bill has?

« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2022, 08:20:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Brady made less and Bill still didn’t max out signings. Many asked why he wasn’t spending more for years.

Pats improved last year with a rookie QB. They lose the first game of his second season and now the greatest coach and a tremendous GM should get fired? Guy at the top of 6 Super Bowls only had success because of Brady making less money?

Garbage takes.
He has been the head coach of 9 full seasons that didn't have Brady play more than 1 game, only 3 were above .500 with a 1-2 record in the playoffs.  With Brady, his worst regular season was 10-6, twice, he was 11-5 twice (they were 11-3 with Brady one of them), every other season they won at least 12 games.  It isn't exactly crazy to wonder how good Bill actually is without Brady.  And then of course Brady goes to 7-9 team that hadn't been in the playoffs in over a decade and immediately wins 11 games and leads them to the championship and then followed that up with a 13 win season and another playoff victory.  The evidence is really starting to mount up that Brady, not Bill, was the main driver of the success of the Patriots.

Rebuttal- you guys must have missed the last 20 years. Belichick found countless gems in the late rounds and coached them up to outperform expectations. He coached Brady up and let him succeed early with a great defense. Brady’s stats weren’t great for a couple years, yet they had 3 SBs in their pocket. The last Rams SB was a great job by Belichick. Other teams would be lucky to have Bill, yet some want him gone? Who else has done what Bill has?
who else has had Brady?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2022, 08:44:10 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Garbage takes.

who else has had Brady?

The answer is the combination of Brady and Belichick led to 6 Super Bowls and countless AFC championships. I don’t know why you’re trying to say that it was just Brady, or a majority of Brady’s doing. The 2 Rams wins were defensive victories. Your take doesn’t make sense.

« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2022, 09:51:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Garbage takes.

who else has had Brady?

The answer is the combination of Brady and Belichick led to 6 Super Bowls and countless AFC championships. I don’t know why you’re trying to say that it was just Brady, or a majority of Brady’s doing. The 2 Rams wins were defensive victories. Your take doesn’t make sense.
We've seen Bill with other QB's and it isn't generally pretty, including some quality QB's like Bledsoe, Kosar, and Testaverde.  And I never said the Patriots didn't have a solid defense or that Bill was a bad coach, he is an excellent defensive coach, I just think he is a bad GM.  And to be clear that second Rams victory, the Patriots had over 400 yards of offense and won the 2 games in the AFC by scores of 41-28 and 37-31.  The conference championship they gave up 24 points in the 4th quarter and only won the game by winning the coin toss and having Brady march all the way down the field for a TD keeping Mahomes off the field. 

Without Brady, I don't think New England wins a single Super Bowl.  I've seen nothing from Bill in every season he has had without Brady, that would lead me to the conclusion that he would have won a single one as head coach.  Conversely, while the Patriots might not have 6 without Bill, they certainly would have won at least a couple with a different head coach and Brady.  And I think we all know this since Brady has won a Super Bowl, at the tail end of his career, without Bill.

« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2022, 09:57:49 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
What’s the point? This is all conjecture. Hypotheticals don’t take away from Belichick’s success. Why do we have to simplify things to the point that we’re distorting history?

The Krafts will determine when to move on from Belichick. Not fans. They are clearly rebuilding, and doing so with the GM responsible for 6 SB victories. You can try to chip away at that as much as possible, but I don’t think Patriots fans that watched these games will agree with you. I’ve watched every game since Pete Carroll, and conclude that you don’t know what you’re talking about.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:05:20 AM by MarcusSmartFanClub »

« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2022, 09:58:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brady has been to 9 super bowls and won 6 with the Pats.  But there have been other really good QBs that have been to far less.  Marino, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, and even Roethlisberger are right there with Brady but with fewer super bowls.  Roethlisberger in particular may be the least of the QBs but he has 2 super bowl wins.  The reason is that the Steelers were a really well coach and well managed organization.

The Patriots were clearly the best coached and the best managed organization through the 20 year or so of their run.  They also had a really good QB in Brady.  But if it was all about the QB or mostly about the QB, why couldn't these other really good QBs get to more super bowls?  It is because the teams they were on were not coach or managed as well as the Patriots or the Steelers.

Now you can say that the game has passed Belichick and maybe it has.  Or you can say his flaws are now more exposed or his luck has run out or whatever, I don't buy this so much.  But I don't see how you can't acknowledge that Belichick was at the top of the organization that was the best coached and the best managed for 20 years.

« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2022, 10:07:24 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Brady has been to 9 super bowls and won 6 with the Pats.  But there have been other really good QBs that have been to far less.  Marino, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, and even Roethlisberger are right there with Brady but with fewer super bowls.  Roethlisberger in particular may be the least of the QBs but he has 2 super bowl wins.  The reason is that the Steelers were a really well coach and well managed organization.

The Patriots were clearly the best coached and the best managed organization through the 20 year or so of their run.  They also had a really good QB in Brady.  But if it was all about the QB or mostly about the QB, why couldn't these other really good QBs get to more super bowls?  It is because the teams they were on were not coach or managed as well as the Patriots or the Steelers.

Now you can say that the game has passed Belichick and maybe it has.  Or you can say his flaws are now more exposed or his luck has run out or whatever, I don't buy this so much.  But I don't see how you can't acknowledge that Belichick was at the top of the organization that was the best coached and the best managed for 20 years.

TP. Moranis is distorting history to fit his agenda. 400 yards of offense in the SB haha? They scored 13 points and won because they gave up 3. This is getting silly.

« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2022, 10:39:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nonsense aside,  pretty interesting stat about this Sunday's Pats/Steelers game. It'll be the first Pats/Steelers matchup since 1998 not to feature Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2022, 10:43:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nonsense aside,  pretty interesting stat about this Sunday's Pats/Steelers game. It'll be the first Pats/Steelers matchup since 1998 not to feature Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger.
First matchup of my lifetime without either of those two
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2022, 10:48:25 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I used to love watching Bledsoe vs Kordell Stewart. Those teams used to battle.

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Even though I am weary on Bill the criticism on the play-calling of running the same play 9 times is a bad take. The offense they are running requires the start of plays to be nearly identical and then the players add a wrinkle.

Just wanted to point that out.

« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2022, 12:11:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

TP. Moranis is distorting history to fit his agenda. 400 yards of offense in the SB haha? They scored 13 points and won because they gave up 3. This is getting silly.

I’m with both of you. You switch Brady with half the qbs in the league and they win at least some of those Super Bowls. I think even Brady himself would admit that first super bowl he wasn’t even a good quarterback yet. I get some people don’t like bill cause of his personality but rewriting history and ignoring facts doesn’t help anything. 

« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2022, 12:17:39 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I honestly think Moranis is out of his element in this conversation. I don’t think he has put in the time watching the Patriots. Look at their first 3 SB runs. The offense was anemic quite frequently. People started criticizing Bill after getting rid of Lawyer Malloy and losing the first game of the season to Bledsoe’s Bills 31-0. 5 Super Bowl wins later, the haters are still around.

« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2022, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I honestly think Moranis is out of his element in this conversation. I don’t think he has put in the time watching the Patriots. Look at their first 3 SB runs. The offense was anemic quite frequently. People started criticizing Bill after getting rid of Lawyer Malloy and losing the first game of the season to Bledsoe’s Bills 31-0. 5 Super Bowl wins later, the haters are still around.
Those were clearly his best coaching jobs, but they had Pioli then, a lot of holdovers from Parcells, and with Bledsoe they weren't good at all with the same roster (even the first Super Bowl year they were 0-2 with Bledsoe starting).

Bill obviously help facilitate making Brady who he became, which is why I don't think New England would have won 6 Super Bowls with Brady, but no Bill, but I do absolutely think that Bill wouldn't have won any Super Bowls without Brady.  His track record in every season without Brady supports that position.  Just not a lot of winning going on.