Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 110068 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #1395 on: March 29, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I'm sorry, but Robert Kraft keeps on playing the media and the fans, like they're fools. Then again, if everyone keeps on falling for it year after year, then good for Kraft.

Bill could easily restructure contracts and have enough cap space to sign Lamar Jackson. However, the owner would rather pay Jones $4-5M for the next two seasons, than pay Jackson somewhere in the range of $35-50M per season. Either way, the Patriots are selling out their home games and still receiving the same amount of TV money.

How without significantly weakening roster? The cap number is going to be much closer to $50M than $35M.

What is the risk of weakening this roster? The roster isn't very good.

The Patriots need a good, starting QB. Lamar is a very good starting QB. The alternative is Mac Jones, who is just another guy.

If they trade everything for Lamar, they are still better than a Mac Jones run team. Unless Lamar gets hurt... (Mac got hurt too).

« Reply #1396 on: March 29, 2023, 11:41:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sorry, but Robert Kraft keeps on playing the media and the fans, like they're fools. Then again, if everyone keeps on falling for it year after year, then good for Kraft.

Bill could easily restructure contracts and have enough cap space to sign Lamar Jackson. However, the owner would rather pay Jones $4-5M for the next two seasons, than pay Jackson somewhere in the range of $35-50M per season. Either way, the Patriots are selling out their home games and still receiving the same amount of TV money.

How without significantly weakening roster? The cap number is going to be much closer to $50M than $35M.

The Patriots need a good, starting QB. Lamar is a very good starting QB. The alternative is Mac Jones, who is just another guy.

If they trade everything for Lamar, they are still better than a Mac Jones run team. Unless Lamar gets hurt... (Mac got hurt too).

The risk is that you have Lamar surrounded by a bunch of crap and a team that has little to no short term flexibility to improve.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1397 on: March 29, 2023, 11:54:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

It is a reality that if you spend $50M on your QB, then you have less money available for OL or WR or Defense, and so on.  Every team has to grapple with this.  Do you pay big money to a top receiver and then have less money for the other 4 receivers?  Pay big money for a Left Tackle on the OL but then have less money for the rest of the OL?

The QB is a unique position, not quite like the OL, but any money you spend at QB is less that you have for other positions.  The Patriot's way, for 24 seasons, has been to avoid the big individual contracts so that you can have a more balanced roster.  That worked really well for a long time and in my mind is still the right strategy.  It doesn't matter how good your Left Tackle is if your Right Tackle stinks.  But QB is unique and we always had Brady.

I am not for getting Jackson.  Mac may not be the solution but I don't think Jackson will be.  I don't understand Football cap rules but Spotrac seems to be saying the Pats have about $13M free.  That means we need to eliminate or restructure $27M to even think about bringing in Jackson (assuming his number is $50M).  I would rather build the OL, build the Defense, etc., and if Mac isn't up to it, deal with the QB later.

« Reply #1398 on: April 04, 2023, 11:38:08 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1399 on: April 04, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
WOW

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/04/bill-belichick-has-shopped-mac-jones-this-offseason/

If this is true, I can see the logic, but only if Mac returned a #1 or high #2.  Then, the Pats could conceivably trade up to the top-10 to start over with a new prospect.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1400 on: April 04, 2023, 11:55:14 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/04/bill-belichick-has-shopped-mac-jones-this-offseason/

If this is true, I can see the logic, but only if Mac returned a #1 or high #2.  Then, the Pats could conceivably trade up to the top-10 to start over with a new prospect.

I'd prefer to keep Mac. He was screwed by Belichick and his decisions + coaching staff last season.

Also, Hoyer has signed a 2-year deal with the Raiders just now lol. What timing  :P

« Reply #1401 on: April 04, 2023, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Mac deserves at least one more season. Belichick really shafted him with the whole "no real offensive coordinator" thing last season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1402 on: April 04, 2023, 12:11:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
"Per a source with knowledge of the situation"

Color me a tad skeptical here.  Wouldn't be shocked if this was Breer or Curran (what happened to this guy) embellishment but who knows.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1403 on: April 04, 2023, 12:33:00 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Saw this the other day as well:

Curran didn’t know who in particular Jones spoke to during the 2022 season for help, but he also said that Jones wasn’t alone in questioning the offensive coaching setup. Curran believes that Brian Hoyer was released by the Patriots in March, in part, because of his disapproval of the coaching setup.

“Brian Hoyer was not sold on what was going on last year, and I think he let that be known — that Mac was up against it on a weekly basis,” Curran said. “And I think that’s a large portion of why Hoyer’s not here. The Patriots would tell you otherwise, but they’re paying him $1.4 million to not be here and not be part of the system. Even through training camp, release him in August – you could use him for this offseason. Nope. Thanks. We’re all set with you. It’s interesting.”

“As we know, a disloyalty in Bill’s mind is almost worse than bad play,” Curran said of the situation. “Mac, even though you could say it’s ironic because he’s trying to get better and he’s wondering ‘Are we supposed to be doing it this way?’ And he’s asking around the football world about it. That effort to improve was showing up the Matt Patricia-Joe Judge contingent that Bill put in charge. When Bill caught wind of it — he’s still p---ed about it.”
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1404 on: April 04, 2023, 12:41:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Let those Lamar Jackson to New England rumors heat up even more. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1405 on: April 04, 2023, 12:42:29 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Lol Belichick I can't even 🤦

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1406 on: April 04, 2023, 12:55:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I find it hard to believe that they would be shopping Mac Jones unless they had a very clear plan B in mind.  Not sure what that could be.  Lamar Jackson of course comes to mind but I don't see it, maybe.  I don't think they would trade Mac just to draft another rookie or even to bring in Garoppolo.  Maybe Tom Brady is coming back (kidding of course).  They could plan to have Bailey Zappe be the starter I guess, this doesn't seem likely either.

So my conclusion is that this is probably not true but who knows.

« Reply #1407 on: April 04, 2023, 01:52:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd be mad if their plan is to trade Mac, but roll with Zappe. I mean I like Zappe and loved Zappe Fever, but he's not significantly better than Mac and also, his good performances last season were against the worst defenses in the NFL (DET, CLE). When he went up against decent defenses (like GB, CHI) he looked mediocre

My preference is to keep Mac. But even if they moved on, I agree with posters above, there HAS to be a Plan B. Either Lamar, or drafting a QB first round.

« Reply #1408 on: April 04, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
As others have said I don’t think lamar is going to New England (although I would certainly take the improvement over mac). If nothing else I don’t think Baltimore would trade him to one of their biggest historical rivals.

« Reply #1409 on: April 20, 2023, 02:54:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
ESPN’s Tim McManus reported on Thursday that the longtime Patriots assistant[Matt Patricia] is joining the Philadelphia Eagles as a senior defensive assistant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes