Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 110259 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:12 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Bill's nepotism hiring pratices is killing this franchise from the top down. It's time for a strong gm and oversite. I like the coach but the decline in management of staff and talent evaluation is obvious.

I have always felt in football there are no rebuilds unless you are throwing out the coaching staff and gm. The team should not be this bad. In all honesty feels like Bill wants to leave and he is burning the franchise.

The Krafts needs to hire a "consultant/gm to be" now to start planning on the replacement of Bill and the entire staff. Also a secondary scout group. Just like Bill does to his players put some pressure on Bill and tell him he is getting too old for the job, that he is on the decline.

Huge TP. Very well said.
It's actually a massive over reaction to one game.

The nepotism thing is kinda ridiculous given both sons have coached very well, have been with the team for a long while, winning Super Bowls in their time coaching there and are on the defensive side, the side playing quality ball. No one leaving the team has ever commented that either son was not equipped to do a good job or was a poor coach.

Also, this whole thing is over one loss, in Miami, in the summer, a place and time they historically, even with Brady, lose.

The team is rebuilding. They had a great draft last year. This one could be too. They have success turning undrafted and late in the draft players into great pieces. And while rebuilding, last year they were 10-7 and went to the playoffs. How many non-rebuilding teams can say that.

This board, and fans in general but especially on this board, are terribly impatient and don't want to wait to see how teams gel and perform as the year goes on(see Celtics, Boston 2021-22). I said earlier, this team multiple times has started 2-2 and won Super Bowls. They once started 5-5 and won a Super Bowl.

Have some patience. You can have your hot takes if the team starts 3-6 or 3-7.

It's year three. With Absolutely no signs of improvement.  Bill's time is up. Would you be so bold to predict even one more ring for Bill? I'll guarantee he never wins without Tom.

Typical spoiled fan. His time is up? Oh really? Let’s forget about 6 Super Bowls and react to the first game of the season. No wonder why this region has earned a reputation.

« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2022, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Bill's nepotism hiring pratices is killing this franchise from the top down. It's time for a strong gm and oversite. I like the coach but the decline in management of staff and talent evaluation is obvious.

I have always felt in football there are no rebuilds unless you are throwing out the coaching staff and gm. The team should not be this bad. In all honesty feels like Bill wants to leave and he is burning the franchise.

The Krafts needs to hire a "consultant/gm to be" now to start planning on the replacement of Bill and the entire staff. Also a secondary scout group. Just like Bill does to his players put some pressure on Bill and tell him he is getting too old for the job, that he is on the decline.

Huge TP. Very well said.

The nepotism thing is kinda ridiculous given both sons have coached very well, have been with the team for a long while, winning Super Bowls in their time coaching there and are on the defensive side, the side playing quality ball. No one leaving the team has ever commented that either son was not equipped to do a good job or was a poor coach.

Also, this whole thing is over one loss, in Miami, in the summer, a place and time they historically, even with Brady, lose.

The team is rebuilding. They had a great draft last year. This one could be too. They have success turning undrafted and late in the draft players into great pieces. And while rebuilding, last year they were 10-7 and went to the playoffs. How many non-rebuilding teams can say that.

This board, and fans in general but especially on this board, are terribly impatient and don't want to wait to see how teams gel and perform as the year goes on(see Celtics, Boston 2021-22). I said earlier, this team multiple times has started 2-2 and won Super Bowls. They once started 5-5 and won a Super Bowl.

It's year three. With Absolutely no signs of improvement.  Bill's time is up. Would you be so bold to predict even one more ring for Bill? I'll guarantee he never wins without Tom.

Typical spoiled fan. His time is up? Oh really? Let’s forget about 6 Super Bowls and react to the first game of the season. No wonder why this region has earned a reputation.
ah yes because him saying 3 years an no improvement means it is based solely on 1 game. 

it seems pretty clear that New England has a bottom level roster from overall talent.  The OL is a mess, the WR's are bad, the RB's are solid but unspectacular, and even the defensive units weren't what they once were.  The simple reality is, Bill the GM has been bad in every instance where Tom Brady wasn't his QB.  From Cleveland, to New England pre-Brady, to New England post-Brady.  The end is neigh for Bill.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2022, 12:43:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Huge TP. Very well said.

ah yes because him saying 3 years an no improvement means it is based solely on 1 game. 

it seems pretty clear that New England has a bottom level roster from overall talent.  The OL is a mess, the WR's are bad, the RB's are solid but unspectacular, and even the defensive units weren't what they once were.  The simple reality is, Bill the GM has been bad in every instance where Tom Brady wasn't his QB.  From Cleveland, to New England pre-Brady, to New England post-Brady.  The end is neigh for Bill.

Ahhh yes because the patriots didn’t literally improve from 7-9 to 10-7 the last two years. If we going to be all snide maybe we can at least keep it loosely based on reality here. Maybe they have an awful year maybe they turn it around. But unless you are going nuts off one game they literally did improve from year one to year 2 by a substantial margin. If it doesn’t work out, the hot takes will still be there. Is this going to happen if the Celtics start 1-3?

Edit: Also, kind of just have to have a hearty chuckle with this from a ravens fan. Harbaugh has one playoff win since 2015? Is the end “neigh” for him? Good old glass houses.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 12:49:36 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2022, 01:45:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Huge TP. Very well said.

Let me be more clear. What has Bill ever done as a head coach without Tom Brady. Nothing. It is Tom Brady who deserves the Lion share of the credit.

Nobody is arguing against Bill's defensive acumen.  Parcells was the head coach though.  He did nothing with Cleveland.  His best year ever without Brady was an 11 and 5 season with Matt Cassell and missed the playoffs.

Those are all straight facts.

« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2022, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Huge TP. Very well said.

Thank you Moranis.  Tp. This in Bill we trust stuff has gone way too far. 

Bill will be 71 at the end of the year. Sleepy Joe Biden is 79 for comparison.  Is Bill going to get better drafting WRs in his 70s lol? It's comical. 

His contract runs through 2025. He's making 12.5 million per year. A lot more money than almost all the players we have.  Is he worth it, still? No.

Keaft spent over a Quarter of a billion dollars on free agents last year.  Henry pretty good. Jonu Smith I think he's trash,  Nelson Agular could get cut or traded.

I agree with Moranis.  I like the RBs but they are unspectacular.  Not a single gamebreaking talent on offense.  Judon is good but flamed out last year at the end.

It's time to look around the league and see what teams are consistently bringing in top talent and go poach a young HUNGRY Gm and let him go to work.

Bill had a great run, but the fat lady has entered the building.

« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
To be clear, I think Bill the coach is still among the best in the sport, I just don't think Bill the GM has done Bill the coach any favors.  It is very hard to do either job well, but every time someone tries to do both, they end up in an epic fail as there just isn't enough time in the day. 

« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2022, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
It is tough to see the Patriots not a consensus super bowl contender.  But the reality is that for most teams, once they make a super bowl, they are bad  or at best mediocre for several years after.  The idea of a 20 year run of being a super bowl contender every year is unprecedented by a wide margin.

Now you can say it is all Brady or mostly Brady but other teams have had good QBs for long runs (Saints, Packers, Colts) but those teams were not able to be nearly as consistently good as the Patriots.  Bill the GM was able to put teams together every year that Bill the coach could get to the super bowl nearly every year for 20 years.

Now we are like all the other teams, experiencing the super bowl hang over and trying to get it back.   Truth is we have missed on a number of draft picks.  There have been scratch your head moves, letting good players go.  This team probably isn't going to be much better than 0.500, but I am not sure that means it is time to give up on Belichick.  Most teams take 4-5 years to get it back after a super bowl run.

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2022, 02:51:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Huge TP. Very well said.

Let me be more clear. What has Bill ever done as a head coach without Tom Brady. Nothing. It is Tom Brady who deserves the Lion share of the credit.

Nobody is arguing against Bill's defensive acumen.  Parcells was the head coach though.  He did nothing with Cleveland.  His best year ever without Brady was an 11 and 5 season with Matt Cassell and missed the playoffs.

KG were you like blacked out all of last year or something? Why are you pretending they were Not 10-7 and actually made the playoffs without Brady last year. This is a very weird omission. Especially if you are going to go back to the Matt cassel year.

« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Huge TP. Very well said.

To be fair, the Matt Cassel team should've been in the playoffs. No way an 11-5 team should be kept out of the postseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2022, 04:19:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Apparently it’s not just fans and teammates who were surprised by the mysterious benching of Kendrick Bourne, the Patriots’ second-leading receiver from a year ago who played just two snaps in Sunday’s season-opener.

According to Tom E. Curran of NBC Sports Boston, team owner Robert Kraft took note as well, and isn’t too happy about it.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It is tough to see the Patriots not a consensus super bowl contender.  But the reality is that for most teams, once they make a super bowl, they are bad  or at best mediocre for several years after.  The idea of a 20 year run of being a super bowl contender every year is unprecedented by a wide margin.

Now you can say it is all Brady or mostly Brady but other teams have had good QBs for long runs (Saints, Packers, Colts) but those teams were not able to be nearly as consistently good as the Patriots.  Bill the GM was able to put teams together every year that Bill the coach could get to the super bowl nearly every year for 20 years.

Now we are like all the other teams, experiencing the super bowl hang over and trying to get it back.   Truth is we have missed on a number of draft picks.  There have been scratch your head moves, letting good players go.  This team probably isn't going to be much better than 0.500, but I am not sure that means it is time to give up on Belichick.  Most teams take 4-5 years to get it back after a super bowl run.
The Patriots benefitted heavily from Brady taking significantly less money than the going rate.  In any given season there were a handful of players in the same general range of skill as Brady, but none of them made as little as Brady (after rookie contracts).  That allowed the Patriots a lot more money to spend on the roster, which obviously helps a great deal and is a very large reason why they could consistently win at the level they did.  The Colts, with Peyton, won a ton of regular season games because Peyton was so good, but because his contract was so much when the going got tough in the playoffs, they just didn't have a similar roster top to bottom.  Same with the Packers and Rodgers.  There is a reason they win 13 games every year and then lose early in the playoffs i.e. they have a great QB, but in the playoffs when they face other great QB's, their roster hasn't been as good. 

I mean look at how many of the Super Bowl teams of late have had QB's on rookie deals, or in the case of Brady and Jimmy G, well below market deals.  Stafford is the only 1 that was paid the going rate since Ryan in 2016.  The Chiefs are now paying Mahomes and they've already lost Hill as a result.  That stuff matters a lot.  Brady was obviously a great QB for two decades, but his greatest winning trait was taking less money.

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2022, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Apparently it’s not just fans and teammates who were surprised by the mysterious benching of Kendrick Bourne, the Patriots’ second-leading receiver from a year ago who played just two snaps in Sunday’s season-opener.

According to Tom E. Curran of NBC Sports Boston, team owner Robert Kraft took note as well, and isn’t too happy about it.

Now this is interesting if it is true, but seems a bit hard to believe. Seems like a pretty odd thing for Curran to write. It is interesting that everyone is saying that all the patriots receivers stink all year and a few people mention Meyers and Parker as having some talent. Now he gets benched and he turns into randy moss.

« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2022, 05:01:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Probably worth noting, but the defensive coordinator when Malcolm Butler was benched in the SB? Matt Patricia

Offensive coordinator when Bourne is seemingly benched and in the doghouse? Matt Patricia

Patricia also handles the O-Line and you got guys like Trent Brown who seem frustrated in their role and with how things have been recently.

This guy is a parasite. Detroit literally threw a celebration when they fired him and the Lions actually looked decent this past weekend and they clearly love playing for their coach. Patricia meanwhile just keeps a pencil in his ear despite carrying a LAMINATED playsheet  ::)

I think what is telling though is that Belichick seems to not really care and might actually be trying to help Patricia and cover for him as much as possible, which is... ugh. I wonder how the players will feel about that too. Can't be happy...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2022, 05:49:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Probably worth noting, but the defensive coordinator when Malcolm Butler was benched in the SB? Matt Patricia

Offensive coordinator when Bourne is seemingly benched and in the doghouse? Matt Patricia

Patricia also handles the O-Line and you got guys like Trent Brown who seem frustrated in their role and with how things have been recently.

This guy is a parasite. Detroit literally threw a celebration when they fired him and the Lions actually looked decent this past weekend and they clearly love playing for their coach. Patricia meanwhile just keeps a pencil in his ear despite carrying a LAMINATED playsheet  ::)

I think what is telling though is that Belichick seems to not really care and might actually be trying to help Patricia and cover for him as much as possible, which is... ugh. I wonder how the players will feel about that too. Can't be happy...

I could certainly be convinced Patricia is a jerk and should not have been brought back. I am a bit more confused about suddenly talking like Bourne is a difference maker because he was benched. He could very end up having a nice year but I didn’t really see a single person talking about how talented he was until he was benched.

« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2022, 05:52:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Huge TP. Very well said.

KG were you like blacked out all of last year or something? Why are you pretending they were Not 10-7 and actually made the playoffs without Brady last year. This is a very weird omission. Especially if you are going to go back to the Matt cassel year.

Yes I did black out last year Clay lol. I think Mac is actually a good QB although his arm strength is suspect. 

I think winning 11 games with Cassel was more impressive he was pretty bad.

And the 270 million dollar spending spree that We made I expected more than to get absolutely destroyed by the Bill's.

I just don't see the optimism for the team. We lose maybe the best player on the defense in JC Jackson, we trade a darn good lineman for Nothing in Mason.

I had high hopes for Tyquan,  but all the haters said he's just to small and literally his first hit he takes he brakes his collarbone.

I really,  really hope Thorton makes it back and has an impact but not much confidence in Bill's ability to draft WRs.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:09:20 PM by KG Living Legend »