Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 40490 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #345 on: December 04, 2022, 03:02:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Officially official!

1 Georgia vs 4 Ohio State
2 Michigan vs 3 TCU

I think that those are the best matchups, both in the first round and in the final.

I have a hard time ranking TCU over Ohio State, though.  And, I do think that Alabama is probably better than TCU as well, but results matter. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #346 on: December 04, 2022, 09:05:10 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Officially official!

2 Michigan vs 3 TCU

I think that those are the best matchups, both in the first round and in the final.

I have a hard time ranking TCU over Ohio State, though.  And, I do think that Alabama is probably better than TCU as well, but results matter.

I thought OSU should have been #3 over TCU.  Their 1 loss to Michigan was a "better" loss than TCU losing to KSU.  But I think they wanted to avoid Ohio State vs. Michigan again, or if it does happen, it will be the championship.

« Reply #347 on: December 04, 2022, 10:00:50 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Officially official!

2 Michigan vs 3 TCU

I thought OSU should have been #3 over TCU.  Their 1 loss to Michigan was a "better" loss than TCU losing to KSU.  But I think they wanted to avoid Ohio State vs. Michigan again, or if it does happen, it will be the championship.

TCU’s one loss was an overtime loss at a neutral site, while OSU lost at home by three scores.  It’s questionable which loss was “better”.  TCU also had a better record at 12-1, compared to 11-1 for Ohio State.  TCU has a legitimate claim to #3.

« Reply #348 on: December 04, 2022, 10:52:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
You can argue either way.

Ohio State loses at home by 3 scores to the 2nd ranked team.  Has a win over the 11th and 21st ranked teams.

TCU loses in OT at a neutral site to the 9th ranked team.  Has a win over that same 9th ranked team along with the 20th ranked team.

So by virtue of KSU winning it jumped PSU and made TCU's best win better as well as its 2nd best win.  And while the loss was to a worse team, it was a much closer game and wasn't at home. 

It was pretty easy to make TCU 3 and OSU 4.  It would have been much more interesting had USC won though, as I'm not sure TCU would have been 4 with OSU 5 in that scenario. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #349 on: December 05, 2022, 05:49:06 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
As long as Ohio state loses, I don’t care who wins it all
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #350 on: December 05, 2022, 06:27:38 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
As long as Ohio state loses, I don’t care who wins it all

Amen!

« Reply #351 on: December 05, 2022, 08:19:46 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Officially official!

2 Michigan vs 3 TCU

TCU’s one loss was an overtime loss at a neutral site, while OSU lost at home by three scores.  It’s questionable which loss was “better”.  TCU also had a better record at 12-1, compared to 11-1 for Ohio State.  TCU has a legitimate claim to #3.

That is all fair.  It is not outrageous to have TCU at #3.  I get that even with 3 losses, KSU is ranked 9th or 11th (depending on Poll) but to me, a loss to KSU is not nearly the same as loss to Michigan.  I guess the tournament committee has to go with the rankings.   But is KSU at 10-3  (Ranked 9) really better than Penn St. at 10-2 (Ranked 11)?

Doesn't really make any difference in the end.  They will probably have to beat both GA and Mich in any case.

« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
So it was about 10 years ago that the ACC swiped Louisville from the Big East leaving Cincinnati behind.  What a difference a decade makes, as Cincinnati swipes Louisville's head coach away to lead the Bearcats as they get ready to enter the Big 12.  Satterfield has no connection to Cincinnati so it appears to be solely about football.

« Reply #353 on: December 07, 2022, 07:46:47 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
So it was about 10 years ago that the ACC swiped Louisville from the Big East leaving Cincinnati behind.  What a difference a decade makes, as Cincinnati swipes Louisville's head coach away to lead the Bearcats as they get ready to enter the Big 12.  Satterfield has no connection to Cincinnati so it appears to be solely about football.
Satterfield had 4 years of mediocrity at Louisville.  How many more seasons were they going to give him?  One or two?  Jumping to Cincy gives him a reset.  Going to Cincy in a Big12 with Oklahoma and Texas about to depart probably does provide a better chance to win. 

Plenty of interesting coaching hires.  Few expected Sanders to end up at Colorado.  Freeze to Auburn isn't a surprise but high risk of implosion.  Fickell to Wisconsin seems like a good hire but they are losing Leonard.  I thought Jamey Chadwell would be able to get a better job than Trinity but it is apparently a big pay bump.   

« Reply #354 on: December 07, 2022, 08:30:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Satterfield had to take over for the disaster that was Petrino.  He was in a tough spot and seemed like he did pretty well considering the state of the program after Petrino. 

It is interesting that Deion Branch was/is the interim coach, at least until Brohm arrives.

« Reply #355 on: December 07, 2022, 09:04:24 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

*sippin*

« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Looks like the Atlantic Sun and WAC are making a move to combine and join FBS, adding 10 teams over the next several years going from FCS to FBS.  If it works as they intend that will make for the 11th conference in FBS

The WAC schools are - Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Utah Tech, Southern Utah, and Tarleton State

The Atlantic Sun schools are - Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, and North Alabama

Those 9 schools are aiming for 2024 in the FBS.

UT Rio Grande Valley is starting a program from scratch and hopes to be added in 2025 making the 10th school in the conference. 

Sam Houston from the WAC and Jacksonville State and North Alabama from the Atlantic Sun are not making the jump from FCS to FBS, at least at this time.

« Reply #357 on: December 09, 2022, 01:40:11 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Looks like the Atlantic Sun and WAC are making a move to combine and join FBS, adding 10 teams over the next several years going from FCS to FBS.  If it works as they intend that will make for the 11th conference in FBS

The WAC schools are - Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Utah Tech, Southern Utah, and Tarleton State

The Atlantic Sun schools are - Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, and North Alabama

UT Rio Grande Valley is starting a program from scratch and hopes to be added in 2025 making the 10th school in the conference. 

Sam Houston from the WAC and Jacksonville State and North Alabama from the Atlantic Sun are not making the jump from FCS to FBS, at least at this time.
I wonder how much money these schools expect to make from this move.

« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2022, 01:50:30 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

More than they’re actually going to make.

« Reply #359 on: December 09, 2022, 01:58:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

More than they’re actually going to make.

I didn't even know Tarleton State existed until a few weeks ago when they beat Boston College in basketball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team