Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 40801 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2022, 09:42:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
This is just what Lincoln Riley teams tend to be. Great offenses, sometimes very explosive. But questionable defenses that often get exposed late in seasons when it really matters. Same thing in Oklahoma. I mean that tackling last night... OOF. And if we're being honest, USC IMO only played 4 tough games in the schedule, and they lost 2 of them both to Utah. Another was a close 3-point win over UCLA and then Notre Dame late in the season at home. Not to take away from a great season but it didn't feel like USC was tested much either

Here's an interesting scenario. If TCU loses, then TCU drops to 4 and Ohio State likely moves to 3. Why is that significant? Because that likely sets up another Michigan-Ohio State rematch lol since Michigan is #2
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #316 on: December 03, 2022, 10:55:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This is just what Lincoln Riley teams tend to be. Great offenses, sometimes very explosive. But questionable defenses that often get exposed late in seasons when it really matters. Same thing in Oklahoma. I mean that tackling last night... OOF. And if we're being honest, USC IMO only played 4 tough games in the schedule, and they lost 2 of them both to Utah. Another was a close 3-point win over UCLA and then Notre Dame late in the season at home. Not to take away from a great season but it didn't feel like USC was tested much either

Here's an interesting scenario. If TCU loses, then TCU drops to 4 and Ohio State likely moves to 3. Why is that significant? Because that likely sets up another Michigan-Ohio State rematch lol since Michigan is #2
I think they will match up Georgia and Ohio State and Michigan and TCU no matter the results today
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #317 on: December 03, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think they will match up Georgia and Ohio State and Michigan and TCU no matter the results today

« Reply #318 on: December 03, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I would too lol. Not going to lie, those would be awesome games especially Georgia-Ohio State

« Reply #319 on: December 03, 2022, 12:59:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Kansas State-TCU so far in a good one. 7-7 now in the 2nd

« Reply #320 on: December 03, 2022, 01:19:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Kansas State-TCU so far in a good one. 7-7 now in the 2nd

Now 14-7 KSU

« Reply #321 on: December 03, 2022, 02:01:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I wonder who Georgia would rather play, TCU or OSU?  Not that that should matter but if you are the undefeated reigning national champion, on some level i could see an argument that your preference on those sort or subjective things should matter. Obviously if TCU is unbeaten it isn't really subjective, but a 1 loss TCU vs. a 1 loss OSU does have subjectivity

« Reply #322 on: December 03, 2022, 02:08:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder who Georgia would rather play, TCU or OSU?  Not that that should matter but if you are the undefeated reigning national champion, on some level i could see an argument that your preference on those sort or subjective things should matter. Obviously if TCU is unbeaten it isn't really subjective, but a 1 loss TCU vs. a 1 loss OSU does have subjectivity

They'd rather play TCU, because they're a worse team.

But, does TCU make the playoff if they lose today?  Do they automatically get in over Alabama?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #323 on: December 03, 2022, 02:16:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

But, does TCU make the playoff if they lose today?  Do they automatically get in over Alabama?
most commentators were acting like TCU was guaranteed even if they lost and that was before USC lost.  I thought that was weird, but I do think they go ahead of Bama

« Reply #324 on: December 03, 2022, 02:35:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

most commentators were acting like TCU was guaranteed even if they lost and that was before USC lost.  I thought that was weird, but I do think they go ahead of Bama

I think the logic is, both TCU and USC are playing an extra game compared to Ohio State and Alabama who are all currently sitting at home.  In TCU's case, they are 12-0 and even a loss today makes them just a 1-loss team, and Kansas State is not a bad team they are ranked #13. TCU did beat KSU earlier in the year too. USC though now has 2 losses (both to the same team - Utah) which hurts them so Ohio State likely makes it. Alabama has 2 losses but tbh, Alabama hasn't had any Top-20 wins this season and the two toughest teams they played are the ones they lost. I really don't see a case for Alabama

« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2022, 03:50:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I can’t imagine the outcome of this OT will knock out TCU at this point if they lose.   

The SEC needed TCU to get lit up to get that 2nd team in there. That’s not happening.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2022, 04:02:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  K-State with the goal line stop.

(After a crap spot & probable missed TD on the reach by Miller)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2022, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I agree with SVG here:

https://twitter.com/realStanVG/status/1599149225132322817?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

To me the College Football Playoff makes no sense to me. Playing in your conference championship game should never work against you. Why should it be advantage for Ohio State and Alabama to sit home while USC and TCU have to play an extra game against a nationally ranked team?

Anyways, my guess at the Top-4 now

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

TCU only lost by 3 in OT to a #10 K-State team on a neutral site, and still finished the whole season with 1-loss like Ohio State. I think that + the idea of having matchups of Georgia-Ohio State, Michigan-TCU would entice the Committee to keep TCU at 3 and move Ohio State to 4.

But if the Committee really, really wants an OSU-MI rematch, they'll put Ohio State at 4 and TCU 3. But I'll be honest, if it's TCU-Georgia I think that'll be a Georgia blowout and not as enticing.

« Reply #328 on: December 03, 2022, 04:39:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
TCU with 2 bad play calling in a row.. Duggan just dove in
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2022, 06:02:17 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I agree with SVG here:

https://twitter.com/realStanVG/status/1599149225132322817?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

To me the College Football Playoff makes no sense to me. Playing in your conference championship game should never work against you. Why should it be advantage for Ohio State and Alabama to sit home while USC and TCU have to play an extra game against a nationally ranked team?

Anyways, my guess at the Top-4 now

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

TCU only lost by 3 in OT to a #10 K-State team on a neutral site, and still finished the whole season with 1-loss like Ohio State. I think that + the idea of having matchups of Georgia-Ohio State, Michigan-TCU would entice the Committee to keep TCU at 3 and move Ohio State to 4.

But if the Committee really, really wants an OSU-MI rematch, they'll put Ohio State at 4 and TCU 3. But I'll be honest, if it's TCU-Georgia I think that'll be a Georgia blowout and not as enticing.
It wasn't an advantage to Bama not to be playing this weekend.  They needed to be playing to have any chance.  They needed to beat Georgia so the committee would be comparing a 2-loss SEC champion who had just beaten the #1 team against a 1-loss TCU who hadn't won the Big12 championship. 

Keeping TCU at #3 makes the most since.  They at least made it to their championship and their loss is better than getting drubbed by Michigan at home.