Author Topic: Victor Wembenyama  (Read 17945 times)

Re: Victor Wembenyama
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2022, 01:51:20 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
This dude is like a player you’d try to create in 2K, but the game wouldn’t let you because it’s too unrealistic and unfair.

If he stays healthy he’s going to go down as a top five player at all time

Wow. Quite the statement. I can’t tell if you are being serious, though.

It’s almost poetic, at the end of Jordan all the buzz was about this high school kid out of Ohio. Now, it’s come full circle as LeBron enters the his last few years, it’s all about this 7’4” kid from France.

He passes the eye test, he looks to me like a once in a generation talent. I stand by what I said, I think IF his body holds up he will be in that upper echelon.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2022, 03:01:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This dude is like a player you’d try to create in 2K, but the game wouldn’t let you because it’s too unrealistic and unfair.

It’s almost poetic, at the end of Jordan all the buzz was about this high school kid out of Ohio. Now, it’s come full circle as LeBron enters the his last few years, it’s all about this 7’4” kid from France.

He passes the eye test, he looks to me like a once in a generation talent. I stand by what I said, I think IF his body holds up he will be in that upper echelon.
Agreed. If he continues on the arc that seems likely to me, he'll be the best prospect in years. I thought Doncic was the best prospect since LeBron, but if Wembenyama stays healthy I think he pips him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
It's all about his body really. Same questions with Zion - can he hold up to the rigors of an 82-game season. Holmgren is already injured, Porzingis has had a lot of injuries. Giannis has been durable but he really bulked up. Can Victor do that and still maintain his shooting? That's the big question.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Think he has a a lot of upside, but I just feel like for a player to have that kind of trajectory to be an all time great, they’d already be dominating at 18, almost 19 years old. He averaged 9pts and 5rebs for his 21/22 season in Europe.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2022, 11:22:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Think he has a a lot of upside, but I just feel like for a player to have that kind of trajectory to be an all time great, they’d already be dominating at 18, almost 19 years old. He averaged 9pts and 5rebs for his 21/22 season in Europe.
Have you looked at other players stats in Europe?  it is just a different game. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2022, 11:32:55 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yeah, I looked at Luka’s stats recently. Believe Doncic averaged 16pts/5rebs/4rebs as a 16/17 year old and he’s probably the best player to ever come out of Europe.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2022, 11:39:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah, I looked at Luka’s stats recently. Believe Doncic averaged 16pts/5rebs/4rebs as a 16/17 year old and he’s probably the best player to ever come out of Europe.
that was the year before he came over though, which is what Wembenyama is in this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2022, 11:51:16 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The kid doesn't have the build to become an NBA player that can body up anyone. He will have to rely on his ability to shoot, and extend his basketball skills, not so much his height.

Durant became awesome because he is an amazing shooter and excellent ball handler, at any size. The height allows him to get his shot off on anyone, but Durant doesn't ever bully anyone down low, no matter what the size.

This kid is a bigger version of the same thing. He does show excellent ball handling and he can shoot. The question is just how elite in an NBA sense he will get at those things. His height is jaw dropping but because he will never have physicality, it only means what it means to Durant: he can almost always get his shot off. I'm not so sure the extra 4-5 inches actually helps any.

It also was interesting that Henderson was able to take it right at him and finish. He's going to have to get a bit quicker if he's going to be a force at an NBA level.

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2022, 12:00:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This kid is only 18 now. Imagine what he'll be at 25?

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

that was the year before he came over though, which is what Wembenyama is in this year.

Luka was putting up much better numbers at 16/17 years old. When he was Victors age, 18 soon to be 19, Doncic was a averaging 21/8/6 in the NBA.

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2022, 05:38:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just put up another 36-11-4 game against the Ignite team.

Everybody should go check out the highlights. Running fadeaway threes, off the dribble spin-jumpers, alley-oop transition dunks, 26 foot bombs. Ludicrous
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2022, 05:58:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just put up another 36-11-4 game against the Ignite team.

Everybody should go check out the highlights. Running fadeaway threes, off the dribble spin-jumpers, alley-oop transition dunks, 26 foot bombs. Ludicrous

Was following on Twitter.  Kid is phenomenal.  Just some unreal stuff I was seeing.  He clearly has the tools.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It will be crazy if OKC gets this kid. They will be crazy big!

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2022, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Victor Wambenyama may be the media darling of the G-League showcase, but the players were all after one jersey:

Steeve Ho You Fat

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeve_Ho_You_Fat
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:27:10 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2022, 02:37:19 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
The kid doesn't have the build to become an NBA player that can body up anyone. He will have to rely on his ability to shoot, and extend his basketball skills, not so much his height.

Durant became awesome because he is an amazing shooter and excellent ball handler, at any size. The height allows him to get his shot off on anyone, but Durant doesn't ever bully anyone down low, no matter what the size.

This kid is a bigger version of the same thing. He does show excellent ball handling and he can shoot. The question is just how elite in an NBA sense he will get at those things. His height is jaw dropping but because he will never have physicality, it only means what it means to Durant: he can almost always get his shot off. I'm not so sure the extra 4-5 inches actually helps any.

It also was interesting that Henderson was able to take it right at him and finish. He's going to have to get a bit quicker if he's going to be a force at an NBA level.

I think your wrong here. Hes stronger than Durant at the same age. He will be one of the best lob targets in the leauge.

Will have lots of dunking in peoples faces.