Author Topic: WNBA to Boston - Wyc Hopes  (Read 3475 times)

WNBA to Boston - Wyc Hopes
« on: October 12, 2023, 02:56:34 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Interesting, specially where he gets to the point about the C's not owning the Garden.  I know that's pain point has been mentioned on the forum before, as it reduces the income stream.  Wish they had worked on building their own arena before they extended in 2021 for 15 years.

Have to say, WTH was Wyc thinking?  He should have been working on a plan before the extension to build.  He's from the area, he could have gotten it done.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/a-wnba-team-could-be-coming-to-boston/ar-AA1i75Nv?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2072b7e7a0614492bdcad13ecfcbf26a&ei=18
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: WNBA to Boston - Wyc Hopes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 03:00:16 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think the appetite for the Celtics having another arena is fairly low in Boston, but I could be wrong.

Here’s why I say that: For one thing, it’s unlikely he’d get the kind of deal that owners prefer for building new arenas. For another thing, where are you going to put them that is as convenient as the current Garden?

(Second one is an honest question, since I haven’t lived in Boston for a very long time and I didn’t live there for very long anyway).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 03:02:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Would the Connecticut Sun be cool with a WNBA team in Boston?  Is Boston even on the WNBA radar?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think the appetite for the Celtics having another arena is fairly low in Boston, but I could be wrong.

Here’s why I say that: For one thing, it’s unlikely he’d get the kind of deal that owners prefer for building new arenas. For another thing, where are you going to put them that is as convenient as the current Garden?

(Second one is an honest question, since I haven’t lived in Boston for a very long time and I didn’t live there for very long anyway).

I think they'd face a steep uphill battle.  Especially to get it built in the city of Boston.

See Megaplex, New Fenway, 2024 Summer Olympics, etc....

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 03:24:26 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I think they'd face a steep uphill battle.  Especially to get it built in the city of Boston.

They had the property for the New Fenway.  The buyer of the Dodgers had the land in South Boston on the harbor.  It would have been like San Fran.  That said, the best spot is probably the spot in Sommerville that the Revs are also trying to get for an all soccer stadium.  That and the site of the old Everett Power Plant.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 03:38:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

They had the property for the New Fenway.  The buyer of the Dodgers had the land in South Boston on the harbor.  It would have been like San Fran.  That said, the best spot is probably the spot in Sommerville that the Revs are also trying to get for an all soccer stadium.  That and the site of the old Everett Power Plant.

I'm talking about the Harrington one. Late 90s.

The McCourt one was contingent on him getting the team.   Would've been interesting to see if that would've come to fruition if he had gotten the team.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 05:02:23 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

The Sommerville area that you are talking about is long gone at this point with the built-up of Assembly Row. That area still has some construction, but they've essentially turned into a shopping area with lots of restaurants, entertainment, and other venus along with some office space.

Everett would be where it's at but I think they'll probably save it for a Revolution stadium. It would make a lot more sense there.

For the Celtics/Bruins, it's current location can't get any better. Lots of public transportation (the T and commuter train), parking lots, and they've reinvested in the whole area to make it even more attractive for pre/post game and concerts. I don't think they are going anywhere and frankly, I don't think they should.
Baby Jesus!