Author Topic: Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)  (Read 74734 times)

Re: Is Grant a goner?
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2023, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Grant “poking” Jimmy shouldn’t even be a talking point. Jimmy has been playing lights out with or without any “poking” from anyone. Bottomline is we need to stop him if we want to have any chance in this series.

« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2023, 05:09:36 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Kirk Goldsberry
@kirkgoldsberry
The Heat shot 6-for-7 with Grant Williams as the primary defender in the 4th quarter, including 4-for-5 from Jimmy Butler per ESPN tracking.
This is why it’s ok to not play Grant Williams.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2023, 07:01:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kirk Goldsberry
@kirkgoldsberry
The Heat shot 6-for-7 with Grant Williams as the primary defender in the 4th quarter, including 4-for-5 from Jimmy Butler per ESPN tracking.
This is why it’s ok to not play Grant Williams.
It was sort of a bizarro Grant quarter in the 4th. He was getting points for us, but was being attacked the other way.

I don't think Joe does a very good job of adjusting his schemes to his personnel, when they are being taken advantage of. We saw that awful drop coverage against Philly for far too long with the lone big lineups, we saw him continue with the perimeter switch-everything game when Butler was hunting Pritchard, and so on. I seriously question his ability to put our guys in a position to succeed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2023, 08:27:10 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Grant “poking” Jimmy shouldn’t even be a talking point. Jimmy has been playing lights out with or without any “poking” from anyone. Bottomline is we need to stop him if we want to have any chance in this series.

We new this coming in .  I suppose we have nobody athletic enough to cover him is the answer . Because no one seems to bother him.

« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2023, 08:56:01 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

We new this coming in .  I suppose we have nobody athletic enough to cover him is the answer . Because no one seems to bother him.

Why are they not having Brown pick Butler up full court, just like he did against Harden?

« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2023, 06:35:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
So Naz Reed gets 3yrs/$42M. Is anyone going to pay more than that for Grant? C's might be able to keep him after all.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2023, 06:39:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So Naz Reed gets 3yrs/$42M. Is anyone going to pay more than that for Grant? C's might be able to keep him after all.

I think that trading for KP ended Grant's time in Boston.  If we retain him, he's going to launch us well over the second Apron.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2023, 07:37:18 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

I think that trading for KP ended Grant's time in Boston.  If we retain him, he's going to launch us well over the second Apron.

oh..ok

means...

*sippin*

« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2023, 07:49:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Haha.  Yep. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2023, 08:43:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Brad in his sit down with Marc D'Amico mentioned a lot of players who can help us next season by name--JB, JT, Zinger, D White, Brogdon, Horford, Rob, Hauser, even Pritchard.

All except one:  Grant Williams.  Slip of the mind?? 

« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2023, 10:50:30 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Brad in his sit down with Marc D'Amico mentioned a lot of players who can help us next season by name--JB, JT, Zinger, D White, Brogdon, Horford, Rob, Hauser, even Pritchard.

Nope

« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2023, 06:49:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I was in support of getting Naz Reed, now we have Kirstaps not so much.  I think we need a backup wing, I mean does anyone think Jordan will be ready for anything save playing defense?

« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2023, 10:08:10 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was in support of getting Naz Reed, now we have Kirstaps not so much.  I think we need a backup wing, I mean does anyone think Jordan will be ready for anything save playing defense?

Agreed. Did not need Naz Reed anymore. Need more a PF type than a big bodied center.

You could say the same about Minnesota since they already have two seven footers there but I suppose Naz Reid will become valuable again to them once they come to their senses and trade one of those 7 footers further down the road.

« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2023, 10:12:23 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I believe he technically wouldn't be allowed to talk about Grant on the team next year, as that would run afoul of NBA rules.

« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2023, 06:49:45 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Heat's Jimmy Butler: Exchange with Grant Williams fueled me.

After the basket, Butler immediately got head-to-head with Williams as the pair exchanged words and were each assessed a technical foul. The Heat closed the game on a 24-9 run.

"Yes, it did," Butler said. "But that's just competition at its finest. He hit a big shot, started talking to me. I like that. I'm all for that. It makes me key in a lot more. It pushes that will that I have to win a lot more. It makes me smile. It does.

Grant needs to know when to close his mouth. Cost us that Cavs game. A factor that also costed us Game 2.

This C's team can take a lesson from Butler anyways. Lack of intensity and mindset.

Is it any surprise that big game Jimmy Butler got more out of that exchange than Grant Williams?  Sometimes I wonder what the Celtics would be if they had parted with Jaylen Brown for Butler when Butler became available for trade.  Would we have won a ring by now?