Author Topic: 2022 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 25302 times)

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2022, 08:33:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Boston was going to draft a developmental player in the 2nd round, I'd have rather had them just take a foreign kid that would develop overseas for a few years and not take up roster spaces in any way.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
If Boston was going to draft a developmental player in the 2nd round, I'd have rather had them just take a foreign kid that would develop overseas for a few years and not take up roster spaces in any way.

Having a 2nd rounder (or even two, if Begarin is brought over) as the 15th and maybe 14th spots on the roster is fine.  They cost about $800k each less than an even an undrafted free agent against the luxury tax, allowing the team to spend a little more to upgrade the roster spots close to the rotation while having the same total payroll.  The 15th man in your roster doesn’t matter in terms of winning a title.  If you save a little on that spot to spend more on the 10th spot, that’s a good decision.

« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Looking more at Banchero, is his game at the pro level going to become more of a ball-handler in the PnR like Zion Williamson was becoming. Using that big frame to bully smaller players going to the basket like Zion or LeBron or Doncic.

Looks like he is really going to need to get that jump-shot up to a SF type level like Tatum or Melo. Banchero doesn't have the freak athleticism / quickness of LeBron or Zion or Giannis. He'll need to be a better shooter.

« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2022, 10:24:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Having a 2nd rounder (or even two, if Begarin is brought over) as the 15th and maybe 14th spots on the roster is fine.  They cost about $800k each less than an even an undrafted free agent against the luxury tax, allowing the team to spend a little more to upgrade the roster spots close to the rotation while having the same total payroll.  The 15th man in your roster doesn’t matter in terms of winning a title.  If you save a little on that spot to spend more on the 10th spot, that’s a good decision.

well stated, and as mentioned earlier, it is hard to become overly disappointed over the 53rd pick in the draft.

JD is athletic. he plays good defense. maybe Udoka can build on those and he develops into a rotation player in a few years. if not, i dont consider this a major loss at all.

I always view roster spots 14 and 15 as places to develop player. i count the two way players the same way, but assume they are not as good.

it will be fun to watch him and others baby celtics in the gleague. let's see what comes out of there.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2022, 10:31:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Looking more at Banchero, is his game at the pro level going to become more of a ball-handler in the PnR like Zion Williamson was becoming. Using that big frame to bully smaller players going to the basket like Zion or LeBron or Doncic.

Looks like he is really going to need to get that jump-shot up to a SF type level like Tatum or Melo. Banchero doesn't have the freak athleticism / quickness of LeBron or Zion or Giannis. He'll need to be a better shooter.
Is he a bit like Bane?

« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2022, 10:43:35 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Is he a bit like Bane?
If he needs to improve his jump-shot than he is definitely not like Bane.  Bane was an elite 3pt shooter in college and now in the NBA.   

« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2022, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Is he a bit like Bane?
If he needs to improve his jump-shot than he is definitely not like Bane.  Bane was an elite 3pt shooter in college and now in the NBA.

BBAAANNNNEEEEEE!!!!!

::)

« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2022, 11:19:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Saw a Kyle Kuzma vs Keegan Murray comparison.

I can't say I'd be surprised at that turning out to be a fairly accurate player comp. Murray is a senior (22yo) masquerading as a sophomore.

It'll be interesting to see how his game translates when he is no longer beating up on kids.

« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Saw a Kyle Kuzma vs Keegan Murray comparison.

I can't say I'd be surprised at that turning out to be a fairly accurate player comp. Murray is a senior (22yo) masquerading as a sophomore.

It'll be interesting to see how his game translates when he is no longer beating up on kids.
He seemed really high to me though I thought he might go to Sacto since they didn't really need Ivey.  He seemed like he should go more like 10-15 as he an older guy that isn't a great athlete.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2022, 02:27:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Is he a bit like Bane?

BBAAANNNNEEEEEE!!!!!

Yeah, I only asked to get a rise out of liam.   ::)

« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2022, 02:58:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Is he a bit like Bane?

BBAAANNNNEEEEEE!!!!!

Yeah, I only asked to get a rise out of liam.   ::)

I know but it's fine with me.

The Bane thing will be around for only 10 more years so....

;)

« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2022, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

They can put this kid on a two way contract and develop him in Maine.

« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2022, 04:09:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jay Bilas on Davidson: He’s a small guard, not a great shooter and you wonder what his game is.
He's an incredible athlete who plays good defence. But his game is terribly unpolished

Gotta polish that game!

;D

Hard to be disappointed by the 53rd pick.
I find it very easy to be disappointed by the 53rd pick when we may as well have forfeited it :P

NBA Athlete and defender and he'll be fun in Summer League. I figure we'll be making moves now that the draft is over.
If the upside is Summer League highlights then we're in lots of trouble.

We better be. Otherwise it's just more empty bluster about doing 'whatever it takes' whilst doing nothing.
Boy. You are getting a bit worked up over a late second round pick. How does picking a guy you don’t like in the late 2nd round imply we are doing nothing this off-season?

I like the pick. I’d rather swing for the fences with an athletic guy that maybe can tighten up his handle and shooting. We don’t need a 10th man type of guy. That’s what FAs are for.
It doesn't. Never said it did, did I? I am assuming we will be making moves. We have no reason not to given TPEs and an MLE offer on a contender.

It's just, in my opinion, another avenue to young talent that we wasted. We could have Saddiq Bey, Paul Reed / Kenyon Martin Jr., and someone like Boston / Garza / Wiggins as our developing players. It wasn't hard to identify those guys either, if schmucks like me and plenty of other forum nerds can.
Well, to be fair, when forum draft nerds identify 60-80 2nd round guys over the course of several months, they're more than likely to find the one or two guys in the 2nd round that become a little bit of something as a player. And that's pretty much what happens here

« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2022, 07:11:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jay Bilas on Davidson: He’s a small guard, not a great shooter and you wonder what his game is.
He's an incredible athlete who plays good defence. But his game is terribly unpolished

Gotta polish that game!

;D

I find it very easy to be disappointed by the 53rd pick when we may as well have forfeited it :P

NBA Athlete and defender and he'll be fun in Summer League. I figure we'll be making moves now that the draft is over.

We better be. Otherwise it's just more empty bluster about doing 'whatever it takes' whilst doing nothing.
Boy. You are getting a bit worked up over a late second round pick. How does picking a guy you don’t like in the late 2nd round imply we are doing nothing this off-season?

I like the pick. I’d rather swing for the fences with an athletic guy that maybe can tighten up his handle and shooting. We don’t need a 10th man type of guy. That’s what FAs are for.
It doesn't. Never said it did, did I? I am assuming we will be making moves. We have no reason not to given TPEs and an MLE offer on a contender.

It's just, in my opinion, another avenue to young talent that we wasted. We could have Saddiq Bey, Paul Reed / Kenyon Martin Jr., and someone like Boston / Garza / Wiggins as our developing players. It wasn't hard to identify those guys either, if schmucks like me and plenty of other forum nerds can.
Well, to be fair, when forum draft nerds identify 60-80 2nd round guys over the course of several months, they're more than likely to find the one or two guys in the 2nd round that become a little bit of something as a player. And that's pretty much what happens here
Pay me a few hundred thousand dollars and I’d back myself in ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2022, 07:25:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Gotta polish that game!

;D

Pay me a few hundred thousand dollars and I’d back myself in ;)
Lol...TP gouki