Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 57528 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2022, 08:54:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Just watched the premiere of House of the Dragon on HBO. I give the first episode a B.
It seemed unnecessarily gruesome at times, but after the tournament was over, it really picked up with all the politics.  Of course if they actually follow the history from the books, the show is going to get super weird really fast.

I agree. Had to actually look away for one of the scenes… it was just over the top. Hoping that the next episode is better.
I'm really curious how much they are going to follow all of the storylines in the book.  One was pretty clearly set up and it appears they sort of hinted at another.  They are both gross by modern standards, but one is far grosser than the other.  Really interested to see if they change them in any way.  I suspect they will not, so be prepared for gag type stuff much more so than the 1st episode.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2022, 01:12:36 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Just watched the premiere of House of the Dragon on HBO. I give the first episode a B.
It seemed unnecessarily gruesome at times, but after the tournament was over, it really picked up with all the politics.  Of course if they actually follow the history from the books, the show is going to get super weird really fast.

I agree. Had to actually look away for one of the scenes… it was just over the top. Hoping that the next episode is better.
I'm really curious how much they are going to follow all of the storylines in the book.  One was pretty clearly set up and it appears they sort of hinted at another.  They are both gross by modern standards, but one is far grosser than the other.  Really interested to see if they change them in any way.  I suspect they will not, so be prepared for gag type stuff much more so than the 1st episode.

I didn’t read Fire and Blood, but found this interesting…

"Game of Thrones" author George R.R. Martin admitted that he has more influence on the new "House of the Dragon" series than on the original show.

Martin wrote the book series that inspired the hit HBO series "Game of Thrones" and its prequel series.

While he was consulted during the beginning of the "Game of Thrones" series by showrunners David Benioff and Dan "D.B." Weiss, he recently told New York Times reporter John Koblin that from season five he was "pretty much out of the loop."

Martin said he was never told why. However, season five was when the show started to depart from the book series since Martin had not finished writing it — and indeed is still working on the series as of August 2022.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2022, 09:41:00 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just finished season 4 of Westworld.  Not their finest.  Too many tiers to that Russian doll or something. 
Yup

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2022, 10:10:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Only Murders in the Building was really good.

Also killed a few months watching Blacklist. Better than I thought it would be for a million episode network tv series

Uncoupled with Neil Patrick Harris was also fun, but non-gay people might be put off by it

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2022, 01:07:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Also killed a few months watching Blacklist. Better than I thought it would be for a million episode network tv series

Uncoupled with Neil Patrick Harris was also fun, but non-gay people might be put off by it
agree on Murders.  it's been pretty good - have to catch the latest episode still.

Uncoupled was good but agree non-gay people could be very put off by it.  my wife and I fast-forwarded through the sex scenes.   

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2022, 01:08:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
The Sandman is really good thru 6 episodes
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2022, 02:52:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

agree on Murders.  it's been pretty good - have to catch the latest episode still.

Uncoupled was good but agree non-gay people could be very put off by it.  my wife and I fast-forwarded through the sex scenes.

Seriously? It's not like it was hardcore p0rn - you probably could have handled it. I hope you at least do the same thing for straight sex scenes.

Personally, I am psyched to see Neil Patrick Harris (Uncoupled) and Jim Parsons (Hollywood / Boys in the Band) embrace being gay in their newer roles after being quite the opposite in the ones that made them famous.

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2022, 03:16:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Seriously? It's not like it was hardcore p0rn - you probably could have handled it. I hope you at least do the same thing for straight sex scenes.

Personally, I am psyched to see Neil Patrick Harris (Uncoupled) and Jim Parsons (Hollywood / Boys in the Band) embrace being gay in their newer roles after being quite the opposite in the ones that made them famous.
it was uncomfortable enough for us to fast forward.  not saying I was appalled or creating a campaign to end the show or have those types of scenes removed.  Anyone who's fine watching those scenes are more than welcome to do so.    No issue with Harris or Parsons taking on gay roles -- Harris has been terrific in this role.   Most of the cast has been terrific as well.

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2022, 03:35:11 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

it was uncomfortable enough for us to fast forward.  not saying I was appalled or creating a campaign to end the show or have those types of scenes removed.  Anyone who's fine watching those scenes are more than welcome to do so.    No issue with Harris or Parsons taking on gay roles -- Harris has been terrific in this role.   Most of the cast has been terrific as well.

I am at the point of my life that I also get uncomfortable with sex scenes if I am watching it with my wife and kids, regardless if it's gay sex or not. To be honest with you, I think 90% of the time, there is no point of actually showing the sex portion as I don't think much of that really drives the story. The exception being if it's related to the actual plot or shock value, like Requiem for a Dream. But in romance movies or series, I don't get it. Then again, I think I am also becoming a grumpy old man as I definitely didn't mind in my younger days watching American Pie :)
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2022, 10:41:50 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I am at the point of my life that I also get uncomfortable with sex scenes if I am watching it with my wife and kids, regardless if it's gay sex or not. To be honest with you, I think 90% of the time, there is no point of actually showing the sex portion as I don't think much of that really drives the story. The exception being if it's related to the actual plot or shock value, like Requiem for a Dream. But in romance movies or series, I don't get it. Then again, I think I am also becoming a grumpy old man as I definitely didn't mind in my younger days watching American Pie :)

Yeah. I’m in my 40’s and feel the same way now. Like I think Game of Thrones stuff is great but when the sex scenes go on it’s kinda ridiculous. There’s places to see real stuff so I’m like “ ok I get it. Can we get tk the next part now.”
  The days of  recording “Ski School “ on VHS are sadly long  gone.

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2022, 10:50:08 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I’m back and forth on Sandman. At first impression I thought it had a neat aesthetic. I still do. I don’t love that almost every character is gender swapped or is gay or implied to be or maybe be trans. I was super bummed when I learned that the DC character John Constantine was gender swapped. I really dig that character. I’m surprised they didn’t go in that direction .

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2022, 12:19:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I’m back and forth on Sandman. At first impression I thought it had a neat aesthetic. I still do. I don’t love that almost every character is gender swapped or is gay or implied to be or maybe be trans. I was super bummed when I learned that the DC character John Constantine was gender swapped. I really dig that character. I’m surprised they didn’t go in that direction .

I thought most of the gender swaps were fine, or made sense.  I didn’t like the swap of Lucifer.   Gwendoline Christie isn’t my favorite actress.  However, I thought the Constantine and Lucian swaps were strong.  The only problem with JC is that she’s too fresh and vibrant; she doesn’t give off the “been through hell” vibe.
  And, it makes sense to have Desire be androgynous .

I found Patron Oswald’s voice work to be distracting. Also, while changing the race of so many characters isn’t inherently bad, I think it was a mistake with Death.  The actress was good, but Death has an iconic look in the books.

But, for me, they for the tone and story right.  There are pacing issues, perhaps, but the material is all good, in my opinion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2022, 11:51:16 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Lassie 1959

Is that Jeff or Timmy?

Both fell in the well ….Lassie shook her head in disbelief

I hope they both sued! That well is just too dangerous and everyone knows about it!

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2022, 03:31:53 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Just finished season 4 of Westworld.  Not their finest.  Too many tiers to that Russian doll or something.

I watched about 3 episodes and had a very hard time getting through it. Show went downhill fast.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2022, 06:30:17 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
 Celtics/Warriors...

:'(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 07:21:56 PM by liam »