Author Topic: What is the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 95267 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2024, 05:37:08 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1917
Watched the 3 Stooges documentary “Hey Moe, Hey Dad” - narrated, co-written by Moe’s son Paul Howard. On Prime.

Can’t say that I out and out recommend it, though I did enjoy it.   The narration is hokey and sometimes annoying. However, if you are intrigued by learning about the lives of people who did some interesting things in an interesting era, there is definitely something there. I wouldn’t say I was ever a huge Stooges fan - a bit when I was a kid, not so much in many decades. But, as characters/people, they interest me.  And this doc does get into their personalities and lives and relationships with decent clips from their films, but also interviews with family and fans (some well known), and some video and audio interviews with the Stooges themselves. Tells an interesting story of their rise to fame and their struggle to stay relevant in an era gone by.

Thanks for the heads  They were definitely fascinating guys.  I use a bunch of their lines on the regular!

Soitenly. I’ll be interested to hear what you think.

Btw - I almost dumped it in the middle of episode 1, but stuck with it and it turned out a pretty decent watch. 9 episodes in all.

and a nyuk, nyuk, nyuk to all...
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2024, 07:52:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2998
Fargo series 5 ,  pretty cool

« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2024, 10:23:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1530
House of the Dragon Season 2 coming June 16 (I think). That gives me a month to finish off the last 2 episodes of Fallout and re-watch all of HOTD Season 1 to remember what happened. I've read GRRM's Fire and Blood and know all about that Dance of the Dragons period but there are enough differences in the TV show to warrant a re-watch  :laugh:

You’re really going to do that to yourself?  :laugh:

I'm one of those people with a short attention span so I have to re-watch something I watched a year ago to remember the nuances of it, so I can enjoy the next series  ;D

I know how the story ends, but the Dance of the Dragons was only a couple of chapters in GRRM's book so it was fleshed out a lot more in the series. It would be nice if some kind YouTuber complied a "The Story So Far" so I wouldn't have to re-watch  :-\

Overall I liked HOTD fine.  Way better than the last two seasons of GOT.

I thought Matt Smith did a decent job as Prince Daemon, but that was about it. GOT had so many great characters. I didn’t think the acting was very good in HOD and the sets seemed low budget. Will probably give season 2 a shot, but I don’t have high expectations.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 10:29:30 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2024, 08:18:58 AM »

Offline Silas

• Ed Macauley
I am really enjoying the first season of the Lazarus Project on TNT.  As a huge sci-fi fan, I can't believe I missed this show from 2022.  The concept is about a secret organization that has harnessed the ability to turn back time every time the world is at threat of extinction.  If you haven't seen this show and you like sci-fi you are missing an entertaining, imaginative, and well-made show.   
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2024, 10:49:59 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Haven’t watched like any tv in the last year. Started fallout, and am happy with keeping it thematic with the games while creating its own feel/ lore.

Seems to be slightly rushed after 3 episodes in. I’m excited to see where it goes.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #470 on: May 20, 2024, 12:55:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3796
  • Yup
Watched the 3 Stooges documentary “Hey Moe, Hey Dad” - narrated, co-written by Moe’s son Paul Howard. On Prime.

Can’t say that I out and out recommend it, though I did enjoy it.   The narration is hokey and sometimes annoying. However, if you are intrigued by learning about the lives of people who did some interesting things in an interesting era, there is definitely something there. I wouldn’t say I was ever a huge Stooges fan - a bit when I was a kid, not so much in many decades. But, as characters/people, they interest me.  And this doc does get into their personalities and lives and relationships with decent clips from their films, but also interviews with family and fans (some well known), and some video and audio interviews with the Stooges themselves. Tells an interesting story of their rise to fame and their struggle to stay relevant in an era gone by.

Thanks for the heads  They were definitely fascinating guys.  I use a bunch of their lines on the regular!

Soitenly. I’ll be interested to hear what you think.

Btw - I almost dumped it in the middle of episode 1, but stuck with it and it turned out a pretty decent watch. 9 episodes in all.

and a nyuk, nyuk, nyuk to all...

I watched the first episode last night.  Moe's son's narrating voice is a bit much and the theme song is super cheesy, but like you said it's worth it for the content.
Yup

« Reply #471 on: June 25, 2024, 11:49:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1530
The Morning Show on Apple TV+ is pretty good.. Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Reese Witherspoon, Mark Duplass. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 11:55:19 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #472 on: June 26, 2024, 12:05:32 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2543
Haven’t watched like any tv in the last year. Started fallout, and am happy with keeping it thematic with the games while creating its own feel/ lore.

Seems to be slightly rushed after 3 episodes in. I’m excited to see where it goes.

Honestly i thought it was great. The visuals are shockingly competent, especially when compared with high budget effirts from Disney+ etc. (On a side note, I'd really like to know exactly where's the money for all the Disney+ shows really goes. Either they are completely incompetent or there's an epic amount of "Hollywood Accounting" going on.)

But, regarding "Fallout," Walter Goggins turned in one of the all-time great performances for an antihero. Vety entertaining.

« Reply #473 on: June 30, 2024, 05:37:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25555
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Bear is so excellent.  In Seadon 3, the plot doesn't move forward a lot, but it's just so beautifully executed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #474 on: June 30, 2024, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 246
?Catastrophe? on Amazon Prime is pretty fantastic. If you haven?t seen it it?s pretty much ?Knocked Up? but with two 40-something?s. It?s a pretty quick watch: 24, 30 minute episodes.

« Reply #475 on: July 15, 2024, 01:05:49 PM »

Offline Silas

• Ed Macauley
Finally got around to watching The Bear.  It is a well written and acted, intense comedy/drama.  I'm finishing the 3rd season and can't wait until the 4th season is available.  On Hulu...a must watch.

« Reply #476 on: July 15, 2024, 01:24:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2605
Finally got around to watching The Bear.  It is a well written and acted, intense comedy/drama.  I'm finishing the 3rd season and can't wait until the 4th season is available.  On Hulu...a must watch.

I might have to break down and get Hulu.

I just finished Your Honor on Netflix.  Though the judge breaks a little bad, Cranston is unable to recreate the magic of Walter White.  This is a mediocre series with some notably bad acting performances and some lackluster writing.   But, I?ve been less entertained by a series so if you?re desperate for a binge, you might be entertained just enough to make it through. 

« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2024, 01:35:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25555
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I might have to break down and get Hulu.

I just finished Your Honor on Netflix.  Though the judge breaks a little bad, Cranston is unable to recreate the magic of Walter White.  This is a mediocre series with some notably bad acting performances and some lackluster writing.   But, I?ve been less entertained by a series so if you?re desperate for a binge, you might be entertained just enough to make it through.

I liked the first season well enough.  It's not great, but I found it entertaining.  I thought the second season was unnecessary (though I still watched).

---------------------------------------------

A similar bingeable-but-not-great series is Vikings Valhalla.  The original Vikings -- particularly the first few seasons -- was must-watch for me.  Valhalla is a pale imitation, but it's still fairly entertaining at times.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2024, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 297

high quality show. however, season 3 seems to be in a bit of a lull story-wise. they still do a good job of exploring characters, backgrounds etc. but basically we're left waiting at the end of season 3 for things that we were also waiting for at the end of season 2 with little progress on several fronts. compared to the events in the first two seasons, the third had a very stationary feeling (which is probably more realistic but less entertaining).

« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2024, 04:31:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1676
  • What a Pub Should Be

high quality show. however, season 3 seems to be in a bit of a lull story-wise. they still do a good job of exploring characters, backgrounds etc. but basically we're left waiting at the end of season 3 for things that we were also waiting for at the end of season 2 with little progress on several fronts. compared to the events in the first two seasons, the third had a very stationary feeling (which is probably more realistic but less entertaining).

The Bear is so good at capturing the frenetic nature of a restaurant. It doesn't matter if you're a high end fine dining establishment or a hole in the wall, its utter chaos.  Sometimes controlled and sometimes not. The writing & acting on that show is incredible. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team