Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 56192 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2022, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just caught up with Barry & The Boys.  Both good stuff. 
Yup

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
The second season still has 3 episodes remaining, but I highly recommend Only Murders in the Building on Hulu.

I definitely agree.  But for those who haven’t watched, you need to watch Season 1 first, as it’s a mystery and knowledge of season 1 events are largely assumed to be known.

Also, Apple’s The AfterParty is a fun murder mystery with a similar comedic bent as Only Murders.  If you like one you’ll like the other.
liked them both.  Strange New Worlds is the best of the recent Star Trek fare by far.

Really love Evil.  no one is more hatable than Michael Emerson.

Both great shows. Paramount has been killing it lately.

Evil is great. At first i thought it was "X-files with demons," but it is so much deeper and more unpredictable.

Does Evil take awhile to pick up?  I’ve heard a lot of great things, but it hasn’t gripped me after four episodes or so.
I don't think it'd take a while to pick up but I found it to get better through the first season through current.  still 2-3 episodes to be put out this season I believe.  having watched all the shows does help explain where things are at (obviously)

I thought it got better the further it went on. At first it feels a lot like a procedural, but as it progresses the characters gain more depth and the stories start to interconnect in intriguing ways.

The world building really pays off, and takes the characters on unexpected journeys, though the writers do cleverly foreshadow events and make them feel earned.

The grandmother is probably my favorite character.

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2022, 10:29:38 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Just saw "Bullet Train." Felt like a poor man's Tarantino ensemble piece. It was very poorly paced and edited, and wasted some strong performances by a solid cast.

And what is the point of setting the movie in Japan if you're barely going to give any screen time to Japanese actors? This movie is ostensibly about the Yakuza and yet the Japanese characters feel like an afterthought. Very odd in these times where Hollywood tries so hard (and often clumsily) to be inclusive.

Saw the new Thor as well. Another badly-edited mess. The jokes in the trailer played better than they did in the movie itself. The villain was the most interesting character but got little development. The plotline about corrupt, lazy gods was intriguing but never really delivered on its promise.

While Natalie Portman didn't mail in her performance as flagrantly as in previous installments she was unconvincing as a hero. She really seems like a fish out of water here.

"Nope" was atmospheric, innovative,  creepy,  and fun. Unfortunately it is struggling to profit on its $80m budget.

"Black Phone," an adaption of a Joe Hill short story, was a nice, tight little nightmare as well.

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2022, 11:02:06 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Just started watching The Sandman series on Netflix. Really fantastic so far! Outstanding adaptation of Neil Gaiman's classic comic book series.

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2022, 12:38:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just started watching The Sandman series on Netflix. Really fantastic so far! Outstanding adaptation of Neil Gaiman's classic comic book series.

Same.  I’m only two episodes in, but so far it’s beautifully shot and acted, and seems faithful to the comics.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2022, 12:48:25 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
I'm currently watching on Netflix a Korean drama series called Extraordinary Attorney Woo.  It's not a show with gratuitous violence, zombies, transgender characters, or characters with super powers.  This show is unusual, and I look forward to each new episode.  The story is about a young autistic Korean lawyer working at a large law firm in South Korea.  She has an IQ of 164, remembers everything she has seen since childhood, and has a creative way of thinking.  However, she struggles with low emotional intelligence and poor social skills. Each episode is a standalone case centered on an issue that other members of the law firm are unable to solve. The show tends to focus more on social issues rather than mental health. 

If anyone else has watched this show I would be interested to know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 02:41:11 PM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2022, 01:38:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Barry is one of the most underrated shows on television. It's really good.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2022, 01:49:22 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge

I agree, the show is really good.  I don't think it is underrated with 44 Emmy nominations.  Hader has won best actor twice and Winkler has won best supporting actor once.  Great show! 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Just finished Blackbird on Apple TV.

Miniseries telling the story of serial killer Larry Hall.

7/10

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2022, 05:34:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I agree, the show is really good.  I don't think it is underrated with 44 Emmy nominations.  Hader has won best actor twice and Winkler has won best supporting actor once.  Great show!

The tension between those two is so unnerving and hilarious.
Yup

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2022, 07:07:32 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Maybe underrated wasn’t the right word…under appreciated? I know very few people watching the show. It doesn’t seem to get much publicity unlike many of the other HBO series.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2022, 08:15:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Predator Prey was better than I expected..started slow but got really good…Also done watching Umbrella Academy season 3, very good but make sure u listen
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2022, 10:08:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
another show I feel is worth mentioning that's about to resume it's season is Resident Alien.   Has enough quirks and humor to carry any storyline along

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2022, 10:22:01 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
another show I feel is worth mentioning that's about to resume it's season is Resident Alien.   Has enough quirks and humor to carry any storyline along

I agree, one of my favorite shows.  Funny with a little sci fi.

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2022, 03:29:50 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Just rewatched Breaking Bad in about 3 weeks. One of the best series ever for sure.