Author Topic: What is the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 95266 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2024, 10:20:05 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
  I’m enjoying SEason 4 of True Detective but I’m wondering if I’m wasting my time after hearing the show runner blame season 1 fanboys and “ bros” ( men) for review bombing. The entertainment biz really has to stop treating every pale male as an enemy . It’s poor business.

« Reply #391 on: February 01, 2024, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1676
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just finished the new season of The Bear on Hulu. Probably one of my favorite shows out right now.

I'm two episodes into Season 2 now.  Loving this show. Grew up in a restaurant family (Worcester & Northboro) and worked in kitchens as a line cook in high school and on school breaks in college. 

The show really captures the frenetic tone of a kitchen extremely well and its a pretty accurate depiction of working in a kitchen.  The characters are written extremely well. Really like the Richie character.  I  like how it weaves the city of Chicago into the story too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2024, 11:49:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25555
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  I’m enjoying SEason 4 of True Detective but I’m wondering if I’m wasting my time after hearing the show runner blame season 1 fanboys and “ bros” ( men) for review bombing. The entertainment biz really has to stop treating every pale male as an enemy . It’s poor business.

That's interesting; I hadn't heard that.  I know that Nic Pizzolatto has called aspects of the season "stupid" and has made it clear that he had nothing to do with the story.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #393 on: February 01, 2024, 11:58:05 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 781
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am caught up with True Detective Season 4. It is decent. Never going to top season 1.

« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2024, 12:25:27 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 444
I am caught up with True Detective Season 4. It is decent. Never going to top season 1.
Is it a real show like Dateline or a fictional show??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2024, 12:47:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1585
fictional on HBO (Max streaming). They change the detectives each season.

Season 1 was McConaughey and Harrelson (Monaghan and others co-starred)
Season 2 was Farrell and McAdams (Vaughn and Kitsch also starred)
Season 3 was Ali and Dorff (Fisher, Ejogo, and others co-starred)
Season 4 has Foster and Reis

They tend to be well written and they are relatively short commitments so they keep drawing big names to the series

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2024, 01:28:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

They tend to be well written and they are relatively short commitments so they keep drawing big names to the series

Season One was great, although maybe a bit of a letdown in the end.  I really enjoyed Season Three, as well.  Season Two was not good.  I go back and forth between terrible and somewhat watchable. 

Season Four is too soon to tell in my mind.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2024, 01:39:04 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 511

Season One was great, although maybe a bit of a letdown in the end.  I really enjoyed Season Three, as well.  Season Two was not good.  I go back and forth between terrible and somewhat watchable. 

Season two is "fine." It is a relatively mediocre crime story with questionable writing in parts.
The main issue is that it pales in comparison to seasons 1 and 3. The performances of McConaughey, Harrelson, and Ali (in season 3) are just unbelievable. Ali in particular kept me glued to the TV. The differences in the way he acted the past/more recent past/present was amazing to watch.
#JKJB

« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2024, 02:22:39 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1917
On Apple....Lessons in Chemistry is excellent.  I also enjoyed For All Mankind, an alternate history look at the space race with the Soviet Union and North Korea competing with NASA.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #399 on: February 03, 2024, 07:39:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's only three episodes in, but Masters of the Air is phenomenal. 

My grandfather flew 29 missions in a flying fortress. He won a distinguished flying cross and several other medals. He would never talk about the war, though, except when he was drunk, and during those times, he just cried all the time.  If things were 1/10 as petrifying as the show makes them seem, I don't know how anybody could survive and live a normal human existence.

« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2024, 07:59:14 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 783

My grandfather flew 29 missions in a flying fortress. He won a distinguished flying cross and several other medals. He would never talk about the war, though, except when he was drunk, and during those times, he just cried all the time.  If things were 1/10 as petrifying as the show makes them seem, I don't know how anybody could survive and live a normal human existence.

My daddy was a Navy CB in WW2, landed in Cherbourg one week after D-Day.
So fortunately, he was building bridges and airstrips rather than fighting in combat, but he saw plenty.

What network can I find Masters of the Air ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2024, 08:04:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

My daddy was a Navy CB in WW2, landed in Cherbourg one week after D-Day.
So fortunately, he was building bridges and airstrips rather than fighting in combat, but he saw plenty.

What network can I find Masters of the Air ?

Apple TV.

« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2024, 08:13:19 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 783

I am a True Detective addict, though seasons 2 & 3 left a lot to be desired. Season 3 would have been much better for me without the dementia aspect. It was plenty good enough and that just served as an annoying distraction. The ending was real interesting.

Why did you think the end of 1 was a letdown ?
Because the case was so complicated and the villian just ended up being a common in-bred sociopath ?
I found the fight at the end rather contrived. McConaughey escaping his intestines being suspended on the end of a butcher knife with a WWE head-butt was just silly. However, the conversation with Harrelson at the end, sharing his near-death experience and new perspective on life was a great conclusion for me, but then, I'm a believer in those possibilities.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2024, 10:30:27 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
   I just finished Season 2 of True Detective. I gave the first couple of episodes a try years ago but I had stopped hbo and then I heard it was really bad. I don’t think it was that bad but also considering the talent they had with Farrel , Vaughn and Rache McAdams I WAS surprised it was so forgettable ( for me).
  I am now watching Season 3 and I’m 4 episodes in. I’m enjoying it . I like Dorff and Ali as partners and I think they do a great job of jumping thru 3 timelines without any confusion. Sometimes that kind of thing doesn’t get pulled off successfully.
  I think Dorff is kind of underrated as an actor.

« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2024, 11:57:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3026
For the fans of detective shows, my wife and I have recently went through The Sinner with Bill Pullman. It was pretty good.

I'm watching Supernatural again. Really good series. Big fan of Jensen Ackles.
Recovering Joe Skeptic.