Author Topic: What is the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 95265 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #375 on: July 12, 2023, 06:45:10 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 259
Over the last couple of weeks watched both of the American Gladiators documentaries that recently came out (Muscles & Mayhem on Netflix and the 30 for 30 on ESPN).

I thought the Netflix one was better (focused more on the Gladiators) than the ESPN one (which focused more on the creators), but both were an interesting nostalgia trip, and combined give a more thorough overview of the story without too many redundancies.

In a way, found the Gladiators' story very similar to the And1 Mixtape players' story (which also had 2 documentaries released around the same time last year from both Netflix and ESPN).  Both were a huge success, but with no money going to the performers, and the performers feeling short changed because of it. 

In both cases though, I tend to side more with the company than the performers, as I think the success of both was more because of the marketing/image/packaging/presentation rather than the actual performers.  As a kid, I didn't tune into American Gladiators to see Nitro or Laser, I tuned in to see regular people compete against good looking Goliaths in unique contests.  Same with And1, I watched that to see the flashy highlights, rather than any particular player.  The performers think they're the draw, like Hulk Hogan or Michael Jordan, the stars that drew people to their shows, but really it's more about the brand, like the Harlem Globetrotters or Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, where people go to watch regardless of who's performing.

I didn't watch either documentary so I don't know all the details, but I think I disagree. As a kid I did actually like certain gladiators even though they were barely given opportunities to let their personalities shine. I think that they could have been a draw in the same way that wrestlers are, but the producers obviously wanted them to be cheap and interchangeable. When they started switching to new gladiators, I was like, "who the heck are these new guys?" I don't think you can just put a random beefy guy in tights with no charisma and expect the show to be of the same quality. Investing in talent is also smart because they can be promotional spokesmen for your product.

It's like they thought the gladiators were just like the models on Price is Right or Wheel of Fortune, but they were more than that. They were like the heels in wrestling: Arrogant about their abilities and physiques, but also cool and aspirational figures. Obviously I'm not saying all of them had the charisma to become stars like the best wrestlers do, but they also never really got the opportunity.

For And 1, isn't the entire product centered around the individual players' unique styles and creativity? Why would you ever want to suppress that? Think of internet culture and how everything is about individual branding now. I'm sure some casual fans didn't care who was actually performing in every show, but weren't there also a lot of diehards that gave these players their early internet followings?

« Reply #376 on: July 12, 2023, 06:59:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 444
Dark Side of the Ring on Vice tv is awesome..my wife loves it and she hates wrestling..u just can’t believe what wrestlers went thru back in the day
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #377 on: August 03, 2023, 11:01:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1585
Binged Twisted Metal.  Great cast, kept me entertained, and Sweet Tooth may very well be the best television character in years (and yes I get it is from the game).  Samoa Joe and Will Arnet did a fabulous job with him.  A bit annoyed they basically created the entire plot for a season 2 which may not happen, but overall it was solid.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #378 on: October 01, 2023, 10:16:24 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1530
Finished the most recent season of “The Witcher”. Man, that show fell off a cliff…Too bad.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2023, 11:51:53 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
The Bear

Great writing, great acting, 2nd season gets stronger ~ best show I have found in a while!
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2023, 11:52:36 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3026
Finally finished season three of The Boys. Loved it. Particularly enjoyed the Soldier Boy arc and temp-v storyline. Jensen Ackles is another favorite of mine after Supernatural.

Also recently finished Rings of Power. It was okay, but wasn’t great. I honestly hated Galadriel’s character throughout the season. She’s such a different character than Cate Blanchett’s portrayal in LOTR, which I guess is the point and part of her character development, but still.
Recovering Joe Skeptic.

« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2023, 12:42:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rings of Power. It was okay, but wasn’t great. I honestly hated Galadriel’s character throughout the season. She’s such a different character than Cate Blanchett’s portrayal in LOTR, which I guess is the point and part of her character development, but still.

It was horrible.   I love Tolkien and went into it with an open mind, I think it got better as it went on but it was still pretty bad across the board.  The show frontrunners are arrogant arses who don't understand the medium they're working with.

« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2024, 02:13:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 444
Masters of the Universe was awesome, well written & great voices for the characters especially Mark Hamill & William Shatner
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2024, 03:51:20 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 208
Saw Brother's Sun on Netflix. It's a Chinese/American show where the head of one of the gang families goes from Taipei goes to LA to protect his mother and brother who has no idea his family is in a gang.

Michelle Yoah (spl) is in it and she is an incredible actress as well as martial arts master. She really is amazing. The brothers weren't great actors but the fighting was very well done (although slightly gory) and they did a good job of developing the characters.

I recommend it as a good action martial arts show.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2024, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25555
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The best show I've seen recently was Fargo Season 5.  Also Slow Horses is a really great show.

I'm watching True Detective S4 right now.  I'm not hooked on this one yet.

The Curse was an odd show with a very strange finale.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2024, 04:06:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2460
Reacher - season 2

« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2024, 04:11:08 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1917
I enjoyed Hello Tomorrow on Apple.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2024, 06:27:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1530
Tokyo Vice on HBO. Only a few episodes in, but it’s very well done.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2024, 08:28:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1585
Percy Jackson is pretty good. My 1st and 3rd grader loved it and so did the wife and I.  Never read the books, but they did a nice job with the series. Far superior to the original movie (and not just because it was longer).  It is a fun worthwhile watch and now you can binge it as all episodes are released.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2024, 10:16:58 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
 The last season of Shetland was good. But I definitely missed the Jimmy Perez character and the Tosh character got overshadowed by a new detective . It was good. I have nothing to critique . But if you’re a huge Shetland fan it was a bit disappointing of a season to end on.