Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 58137 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2023, 01:39:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1554
What streaming subscriptions to people have -- and which do you think are most valuable?

I only have Netflix, Peacock (I think it's included in my cable plan) and Amazon Prime.    It drives me a little nuts to pay so much for TV that I am reluctant to keep adding subscriptions.  Yet, I think I'm missing some good TV.

The Paramount+ Showtime bundle is $130 per year. There is a LOT of stuff on there. If you're a Star Trek fan it's a must. But there's a wide variety of content, from CBS procedurals to reality TV series to the Comedy Central library. And of course the more serious Showtime and Paramount exclusives.  Lots of movies too.

I randomly threw on a few episodes of the original Beavis and Butt-head a while back. Haven't laughed like that in years. God bless Mike Judge.

But really all the major streamers are pretty decent. And, even all combined,  it's still cheaper than cable. The big hurdle is the relative lack of live sports, particularly regional sports networks. NESN finally has an ala carte option but it's a whopping $30 a month. And Celtics fans have no options outside of YoutubeTV or Fubo, which are both $60+.

Does Paramount have Deep Space 9?  I was making my way through that when it got bounced off Netflix.

It does.  And also Strange New Worlds, the best Trek adaption in years.
Yes and you don't need the Showtime add on to watch those.  The Showtime add on is worth it if you like the Showtime shows, but otherwise Paramount + is pretty solid on its own given the CBS, Comedy Central, Nick, MTV, and a few other hubs that it has plus all of the Paramount movies over the years (or at least most of them).

What are they charging for the Showtime add-on now?  I know I got it for like $3 per month.  I like several of the series on there, including City On A Hill, Let The Right One In, and Your Honor.
I don't have that one at the moment.  Have enough things to watch, don't need to pay for that at this time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2023, 02:08:01 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’m not even a tennis fan and I’m really enjoying “ Match Point” on Netflix . It really gets in to the pressure the players are under.

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2023, 04:32:38 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1450
  I’m not even a tennis fan and I’m really enjoying “ Match Point” on Netflix . It really gets in to the pressure the players are under.

Match Point or Break Point? Believe both are on Netflix.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2023, 04:48:00 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Just Started...

Loved the Game...!

Sticking pretty close to the game which is cool.

« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2023, 05:37:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2536
Thanks all for the input.   I’m thinking I’ll add one subscription to my Netflix, Prime and Peacock.  The advice here was great but not definitive.  I’ll select one - probably HBO or Hulu.

« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2023, 08:11:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1554
Thanks all for the input.   I’m thinking I’ll add one subscription to my Netflix, Prime and Peacock.  The advice here was great but not definitive.  I’ll select one - probably HBO or Hulu.
If you have cable then you are better off with HBO.  Hulu's best advantage is they have a lot of the television shows that are on the networks.  They do have some original programming, a lot of which is solid, but not near what you'd get from HBO. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2023, 10:22:59 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
If you have cable then you are better off with HBO.  Hulu's best advantage is they have a lot of the television shows that are on the networks.  They do have some original programming, a lot of which is solid, but not near what you'd get from HBO.

I agree with Moranis. Good advice.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2023, 10:26:51 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 927
What streaming subscriptions to people have -- and which do you think are most valuable?

I only have Netflix, Peacock (I think it's included in my cable plan) and Amazon Prime.    It drives me a little nuts to pay so much for TV that I am reluctant to keep adding subscriptions.  Yet, I think I'm missing some good TV.

The Paramount+ Showtime bundle is $130 per year. There is a LOT of stuff on there. If you're a Star Trek fan it's a must. But there's a wide variety of content, from CBS procedurals to reality TV series to the Comedy Central library. And of course the more serious Showtime and Paramount exclusives.  Lots of movies too.

I randomly threw on a few episodes of the original Beavis and Butt-head a while back. Haven't laughed like that in years. God bless Mike Judge.

But really all the major streamers are pretty decent. And, even all combined,  it's still cheaper than cable. The big hurdle is the relative lack of live sports, particularly regional sports networks. NESN finally has an ala carte option but it's a whopping $30 a month. And Celtics fans have no options outside of YoutubeTV or Fubo, which are both $60+.

Does Paramount have Deep Space 9?  I was making my way through that when it got bounced off Netflix.

It does.  And also Strange New Worlds, the best Trek adaption in years.
Yes and you don't need the Showtime add on to watch those.  The Showtime add on is worth it if you like the Showtime shows, but otherwise Paramount + is pretty solid on its own given the CBS, Comedy Central, Nick, MTV, and a few other hubs that it has plus all of the Paramount movies over the years (or at least most of them).

What are they charging for the Showtime add-on now?  I know I got it for like $3 per month.  I like several of the series on there, including City On A Hill, Let The Right One In, and Your Honor.

I'll have to pick up Showtime once Yellowjackets comes back in a couple of months.

Watched "The Last Of Us" today and really enjoyed it. I didn't even know it was based on a video game. But I'm old.

Just started watching Manifest and am enjoying the fact that my teenagers really like it, so we can all watch it together.

Mike

« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2023, 10:27:41 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2536

I agree with Moranis. Good advice.

Thanks to both!

« Reply #234 on: January 20, 2023, 12:49:12 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I just binge-watched The Bear all in one sitting.  I had planned to watch only the first three episodes, but the rhythm of the show kept me hooked.

It's a really good watch.  Jeremy Allen White is tremendous in it.  I initially thought it was an odd follow-up for him after Shameless, both shows being set in Chicago with some of the same plot themes.  But, it worked.  He carries the show, but Ayo Edebiri is excellent, as well.  Really, almost all of the cast is excellent.

But, despite a rave review, I thought that some of the plot points seemed a little too contrived, which I thought were out of place.  The entire season was about 4 hours long, so I'm wondering if they felt they needed to shortcut a few things here and there to add drama, instead of building to it.  I'm excited for season two, though.

Just finished the first season…quality show. The finale was excellent; loved the use of Radiohead’s “Let Down” at the end. Jeremy Allen White is one of the best young actors out there. Looking forward to next season.

« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2023, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just started The 90's Show.   Really enjoyed That 70's Show and was curious if the spinoff would capture the original's quality.  it does not.  3 episodes in and the only parts close to watchable are the ones where the old cast makes an appearance.  other than that, the current set of kids are uninteresting/unlikeable and Red and Kitty are being wasted in this show --> they were much more enjoyable as background/ensemble characters in the original show.

« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2023, 02:23:42 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
One side note that although movies lately have been just a bunch of sequels or remakes of previous movies, I don't think there has been too many creative material out there.

On the other hand, I have to say that TV shows have definitely been creative. I am not saying they are all good, but I think with streaming services giving shows more leeway, there has been a bunch of creative shows out there. From Murders in the Building, Schinagadoo, Bear, Mr. Robot etc. Even the remakes are done creatively (although it doesn't mean it works, like Fresh Prince). I think we are on a good age for series at this time.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2023, 02:40:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Watched "Pepsi, Where is my jet?" documentary on Netflix. 

Very enjoyable.  I distinctly remember the commercial and the whole "Pepsi stuff" campaign in the mid 90s. Definitely collected points.  Remember getting a t-shirt.  I do remember the whole harrier jet controversy.  Pretty neat look back on how that whole thing transpired.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2023, 03:18:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Watched "Pepsi, Where is my jet?" documentary on Netflix. 

Very enjoyable.  I distinctly remember the commercial and the whole "Pepsi stuff" campaign in the mid 90s. Definitely collected points.  Remember getting a t-shirt.  I do remember the whole harrier jet controversy.  Pretty neat look back on how that whole thing transpired.

Yeh.  That was well done.

I just finished "Wednesday".  I started with my daughter, then we went out separate ways watching it.  I ended up watching the rest on my own after she binged ahead.  It was definitely had a "teen show" aspect, but it was visually enjoyable and humorous.  Tim Burton and Danny Elfman always work well together.
Yup

« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2023, 03:50:03 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Saw the second episode of Last of Us while I still have a free trial. I don't have too much experience with the video game so far it's mediocre. Maybe it's because the big budget I expect more, but to me it's been like Walking Dead with lots of talking and drama with not as much action. The action has been good and I will definitely say that these creatures are a lot scarier than any other zombie shows. So far it's not enough for me to keep HBO. I might do a month in the future once all episodes are out though.
Baby Jesus!