Author Topic: Star Wars (shows and streaming)...  (Read 12968 times)

Re: Star Wars (shows and streaming)...
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2023, 01:41:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ahsoka looks awesome. They're definitely doing some Rebels circling back.  It's gonna be great to see Thrawn in live action. 

I heard Skeleton Crew is going to be like space Goonies stuff.  If so, I'm down with that if done right.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2023, 06:25:22 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Im not into this new stuff...

It's always been about...

and

*sippin*

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2023, 06:29:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
You had me at Lando, Bass.

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2023, 08:51:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
New trailer for Ahsoka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1EXWNETiI

It still looks great.  My only real concern:  I hope this doesn't go full on, unflawed "girl power".  The only heroes really highlighted in the trailer were female, and most of the villains were male.  That's not automatically bad, but I worry after seeing how Rey was characterized over three movies (essentially perfect and all powerful).  Ahsoka has been a fairly complex character to this point, despite being animated.  I hope very much that the show continues that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2023, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have enjoyed every Star Wars show they have made.   I don't go into them worried about canon or what I think should happen.   Those of us who grew up with Adam pretending to climb a wall on the floor or Nicholas Hammond spider man TV movies are absolutely awestruck by the growth of special effects in our life time

As far as Girl Power, she is the main character of the series.    So I expect her to kick butt.   Disney does take things to the extreme.   

Is it just me or have the Disney TV shows been better than the last three movies.   I mean I liked them but the TV shows seem better.

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2023, 09:36:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
New trailer for Ahsoka:

It still looks great.  My only real concern:  I hope this doesn't go full on, unflawed "girl power".  The only heroes really highlighted in the trailer were female, and most of the villains were male.  That's not automatically bad, but I worry after seeing how Rey was characterized over three movies (essentially perfect and all powerful).  Ahsoka has been a fairly complex character to this point, despite being animated.  I hope very much that the show continues that.

Filoni & Favreau are running things with this show so I trust them a heckuva lot more that what Abrams did in the sequel trilogy. 

These guys seem to have actual reverence for the franchise and seem much more interested in the storytelling and character developing aspect of it rather that just simply putting these two dimensional characters out there and paying lip service like the sequel trilogy unfortunately did.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2023, 10:49:57 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
New trailer for Ahsoka:

Filoni & Favreau are running things with this show so I trust them a heckuva lot more that what Abrams did in the sequel trilogy. 

These guys seem to have actual reverence for the franchise and seem much more interested in the storytelling and character developing aspect of it rather that just simply putting these two dimensional characters out there and paying lip service like the sequel trilogy unfortunately did.

But Kennedy is still in charge. She's really turned Lucas Fipm into a pile of trash, maybe worth less than what Disney payed for it. I don't even know if they've broken even yet on the deal. They los 4ooo,ooo D+ subsribers in the middle of Mando season 3.

Disney needs new leadership, and that includes Kennedy and Fiege.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2023, 11:49:21 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
New trailer for Ahsoka:

But Kennedy is still in charge. She's really turned Lucas Fipm into a pile of trash, maybe worth less than what Disney payed for it. I don't even know if they've broken even yet on the deal. They los 4ooo,ooo D+ subsribers in the middle of Mando season 3.

Mando Season 3 is a disaster. Some of the worst writing in the history of Star Wars (which is saying something).

The Mandalorians and their culture just aren't interesting. The characters lack personality and depth. The CGI battles are awful and hold no stakes. We are told about how noble and honorable they are. But what does that actually mean? What are they all about? Why should I care? Despite watching 3 seasons of this show I am not sure.

It feels like a cringey Saturday Morning Cartoon, an advertisement to sell toys.

The series made far more sense when Mando was an actual bounty hunter. The simplicity was fun.

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2023, 11:49:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
New trailer for Ahsoka:

Yeah, Kennedy has been awful for the franchise. 

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2023, 12:09:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
New trailer for Ahsoka:

Mando Season 3 is a disaster. Some of the worst writing in the history of Star Wars (which is saying something).

The Mandalorians and their culture just aren't interesting. The characters lack personality and depth. The CGI battles are awful and hold no stakes. We are told about how noble and honorable they are. But what does that actually mean? What are they all about? Why should I care? Despite watching 3 seasons of this show I am not sure.

It feels like a cringey Saturday Morning Cartoon, an advertisement to sell toys.

The series made far more sense when Mando was an actual bounty hunter. The simplicity was fun.

Mando is better solo (with Grogu), agreed.  That said, I liked some of the interconnected storylines with the greater lore.  It entertained me overall, and that makes it watchable.

Book of Boba Fett was my big disappointment.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 12:20:03 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
New trailer for Ahsoka:

Total understatement. Unwatchable, awful, dialog was like idiots talking to themselves describing their actions. Didn't finish it, even the kids couldn't of cared less about it.

Season 1 was great with the outerspace western loner feel. Slowly got worse through season 2 then just absolutely cratered.

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2023, 12:58:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Book of Boba Fett was my big disappointment.

Same.

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2023, 01:01:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Andor and Obi-Wan got Emmy nominations for best drama and best limited series.  Nothing for Mandalorian, which feels correct to me.  Andor was the best thing I watched last year, regardless of genre.

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2023, 01:04:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Andor and Obi-Wan got Emmy nominations for best drama and best limited series.  Nothing for Mandalorian, which feels correct to me.  Andor was the best thing I watched last year, regardless of genre.

I wasn't nearly that high on Andor, but I did think it ended up being quite good after an initial lull.

I didn't care as much for Obi-Wan.  It had the potential to be great, but I think they pulled punches while detracting from the lore of Vader.

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2023, 01:54:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I wasn't nearly that high on Andor, but I did think it ended up being quite good after an initial lull.

I didn't care as much for Obi-Wan.  It had the potential to be great, but I think they pulled punches while detracting from the lore of Vader.

I feel like they had a real tight window to work with regarding Obi-Wan.  There wasn't much wiggle room to what they could do creatively that wouldn't screw up canon. 

In retrospect, they probably should've just left it alone and did nothing although it was great to see McGregor and Christenson again