Author Topic: Blackish  (Read 2442 times)

Blackish
« on: April 20, 2022, 10:55:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Apparently last night was the series finale of Blackish.  I haven't been a loyal viewer, but it's one of the very few sitcoms that I ever stopped on and watched.  In general, it was an intelligent, funny and poignant show.

I don't know if there's enough of a viewer base on here to make this thread-worthy, but I thought one aspect was worth discussing.  I saw one commenter say that this show was the current generation's version of the Cosby Show.  While the audience won't be the same size due to entertainment options currently available, do people see that comparison?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Blackish
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:18:53 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Anthony Anderson is not in the same class as Bill Cosby....he hasn't raped nearly as many women

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 11:38:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anthony Anderson is not in the same class as Bill Cosby....he hasn't raped nearly as many women

Ouch.  Unfortunately that's allegedly a fair comparison, but lets keep discussion to the shows themselves.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I never did get into this show.  Tried it a few times, but I just didn't connect with it.  Some of that is probably Anderson and his loud brash style of acting.  It fits well as the henchman in movies like Romeo Must Die, but I didn't connect well with his role in Blackish. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 02:11:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I watched the first couple of season, and quite enjoyed it. The kids made the show.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 02:43:58 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I've been seeing Anthony Anderson on commercials for Law & Order, the last couple of months, so I assumed Black-ish had already ended.

I always enjoyed the show, but haven't watched it in a few years (there was a divorce angle a couple of seasons back where the show got less funny, IMO).  Never must see TV for me, but always a show me and the wife could mutually agree on when deciding what to put on.

On the Cosby show comparisons, it's probably somewhat fair.  Not a cultural phenomenon or anything, but a black centered show that can still appeal to the larger white audiences.  Closer to Fresh Prince than the Cosby show though, probably.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class