Author Topic: Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at Oscars  (Read 21964 times)

Re: Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at Oscars
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My son had alopecia areata when he was 10. He was made fun of and bullied in school over it. One day, at his soccer game a parent called him baldy from the sidelines and I heard it.

Can't say I reacted much differently than Will Smith. Being a coach, it was a bad look. But every player on my team thanked me and a slew of parents gave me "Well done" pats on the back.

Alopecia is a tough disease to handle for those that should have full heads of hair, kids and women, especially. Whoever allowed that joke to be included should be fired. If Rock improvised it, don't bring him back.

As for Will, as with me, not a good look, but I completely understand his passion, rage and what he did and why.

I'm personally in the camp of I don't find the joke (GI Jane, not baldy) offensive.  Because being called GI Jane is not really an insult (to me).

So let me ask you this, if that guy at the soccer game said something like, "who's guarding Mr. Clean?" would you be as upset?  To me, that's more like what the GI Jane joke is, more "lighthearted" not really derogatory.

And I'm someone who went through chemo at 16-17,went  completely hairless, and had a lot of bald jokes made about me (mostly Powder), not all were funny, but none were insulting, because let's face it, I was bald.  But I'm also a guy with thick skin, not a younger kid or a woman, who I can understand might not have the same outlook as me.
That joke would not have changed my reaction. That, to a ten year old that's already being bullied over his condition, is no different than just calling him baldy. Maybe worse because you are making that child the butt of the joke.

Kids should always be off-limits.  Whether it's mean-spirited or "joking", that stuff can cut deep.

In the case of Pinkett-Smith, getting gently roasted is part of choosing to be in the public eye.  I might feel differently if she was a non-celebrity, but she has chosen this life and through some of her statements and actions has made herself somebody who can should expect some silly barbs.

There has been some more barbed jokes about the open marriage and Pinkett-Smith's boyfriends during award season, and I'm wondering if that underlies some of this.  But, maybe not; I'm sure the Smiths aren't the only couple to have an "arrangement"; it's probably most notable because it's the woman, rather than just the man, who "benefits".
Will Smith is still a husband. And I challenge any man who loves his wife deeply to tell me they might not do something similar, or at least seriously consider it, if someone made a joke about your wife's condition she is sensitive about.

I said what Smith did was not right but I understand the passion and emotions that drove him to do it. I think most people would if put in a similar position. Whether they be public individuals or not. In the end you're still a husband, wife, mom or dad and shutting down those protective emotions aren't easy.

Eh, you've told stories about your ex-wife who is Puerto Rican (I think) and somebody (maybe at a furniture store?) not knowing she was made a negative comment about Puerto Ricans in front of both of you.  I'm pretty sure that didn't end with you slapping the guy.

Now you might have definitely thought about it, but there's a big difference between thinking and doing it.

I have a hard time imagining any scenario where I'm hitting a guy even over the most offensive of comments to my wife whom I deeply love.  And I think most men are NOT doing that, no matter how much they love their wife.

But I'm also the guy who just thought Mr. Clean wouldn't be offensive (though definitely not appropriate for a 10 year old), or didn't think calling Patty Mills a Jamaican bobsledder was offensive.  What do I know.
It was a waitress at a restaurant that was, tops, 22 years old making a racist statement. Slapping was not an option. But getting her fired was and I did do that.

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2022, 03:01:57 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2022, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hearing people wondering if we'll see an increase in violence against comedians doing crowd work in clubs now. It can already be dangerous work sometimes.

Of all the takes related to this event i kind of think this one is maybe one of the craziest to me. I get the thought crossing someone's mind, it crossed mind briefly but if you think about it for a but it just sort of falls apart.

Nobody spends their entire life hearing "violence is wrong, solve it with your words," sees a guy react violently once on television, watches the general reaction be "that was wrong, he should have handles it better" and then decide he's now gonna start punching comedians. Its kind of equivalent to all the violence videogames lead to violence thing (they don't), because people and society are just way more complicated than that. Nobody is out there going "well Will Smith normalized slapping a comedian so thats fair game now."

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2022, 03:16:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
What doesn't make sense to me is that when the cameras cut to Will Smith right when Rock made the joke, Smith was laughing, like he thought it was funny. Then a few seconds later he's slapping Rock. Did I miss something? Did Smith's wife give Smith an unapproving look, and then he decided to be offended?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Baldness has many causes. Happens in men and women of all ages. When it happens to an "A-List" female celebrity it's a "disease". Lol

It is a disease. I have an acquaintance that works somewhere I stopped in times in the past. Beautiful young woman ( I’m much older) but completely bald. Got to talking snd she was cautiously optimistic about a new person she met . She hav nothing but good and very hopeful things about this love interest but she said even in this encounter and every one she’s ever had she’s had to answer whether she'd had cancer or not.
  Obviously she didn’t think there was anything wrong with people with cancer ( duh I know) but she has to explain herself or has to even deal with it.  I really understand having deep hurt feelings about it. I DID think it was a nasty thing to say. This is something that HAPPENED to someone. It’s just a weird thing to say to a crowd about someone to me.

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2022, 03:32:41 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Lot of people in this thread mentioning their open relationship and Will Smith being a cuck...

Monogamous people are very strange for taking a relationship stance that basically boils down to ownership of another person's body.  If that's for you, good for you, but it's not for everybody and I think the derogatory nature around it is insulting to a lot of people that don't subscribe to the idea of hierarchical relationships, and essentially owning another person's body and autonomy.

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2022, 04:01:14 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Lot of people in this thread mentioning their open relationship and Will Smith being a cuck...

Monogamous people are very strange for taking a relationship stance that basically boils down to ownership of another person's body.  If that's for you, good for you, but it's not for everybody and I think the derogatory nature around it is insulting to a lot of people that don't subscribe to the idea of hierarchical relationships, and essentially owning another person's body and autonomy.

Describing monogamy as "ownership" is a little over the top. It's more of a contract based on mutual respect.

And there are good evolutionary and societal reasons why polyamory can cause problems. We are talking about the reproductive act here, which is hardwired into us. Jealously is also hardwired. A guy doesn't want to be raising someone else's kid, and a woman doesn't want her man running off or spending resources on another woman's kid. The polyamorous relationships I've seen have all ended in explosive disaster.

With that being said it's a free country and folks can do as they please. But it's not as though there aren't valid reasons to choose monogamy.

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2022, 04:06:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Biggest stretch I have ever seen on this site, my lord
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2022, 04:06:09 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Hearing people wondering if we'll see an increase in violence against comedians doing crowd work in clubs now. It can already be dangerous work sometimes.

I hope not.  We need comedians right now, if only to keep our sanity.  Laughing about horrible things helps many of us cope.

Agree. I wouldn't want to be a comedian right now. I went to a couple shows in the last year and it was tense to say the least. You can tell the comedians are holding back because they know a good chunk of the audience will get triggered by any joke that offends their personal politics.

Meanwhile our society gets more and more farcical by the day and we can't even have a chuckle about it.

Not good.

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2022, 04:06:41 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

It's not ownership unless you force the other to take vows against their will. You make promises when you get married.

Why even be married if you're going to live the life of a single? Makes no sense. No one will ever convince me these relationships are as great as some make it out to be.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If Jada is that ultra-sensitive about her hair loss, then why wasn’t she wearing a wig? When I first saw her last night, I thought it was a fashion choice. After what happened, I googled if she was sick, and realized she has alopecia. By not wearing a wig, I would have thought that she accepted and was comfortable with her appearance.

Not everyone is comfortable in wigs. My mom is going through chemo and the hair loss has been brutal on her and she's sensitive about being bald. But we've gone through about 20 wigs and she hates them all, it's like a reminder of what's supposed to be there but isn't anymore.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2022, 04:13:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I hope not.  We need comedians right now, if only to keep our sanity.  Laughing about horrible things helps many of us cope.

Agree. I wouldn't want to be a comedian right now. I went to a couple shows in the last year and it was tense to say the least. You can tell the comedians are holding back because they know a good chunk of the audience will get triggered by any joke that offends their personal politics.

Meanwhile our society gets more and more farcical by the day and we can't even have a chuckle about it.

Not good.
It’s nothing new at all. It’s just going against “humour” about peoples race/gender/sexuality/etc. rather than whatever the Christian Moral Majority types went against.

‘The Life of Brian’ was banned on release 43 years ago because some societies found it unsuitable for their collective morals. Nothing new.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Of all the takes related to this event i kind of think this one is maybe one of the craziest to me. I get the thought crossing someone's mind, it crossed mind briefly but if you think about it for a but it just sort of falls apart.

Nobody spends their entire life hearing "violence is wrong, solve it with your words," sees a guy react violently once on television, watches the general reaction be "that was wrong, he should have handles it better" and then decide he's now gonna start punching comedians. Its kind of equivalent to all the violence videogames lead to violence thing (they don't), because people and society are just way more complicated than that. Nobody is out there going "well Will Smith normalized slapping a comedian so thats fair game now."

I don't think it will be a conscious thing. Comedy clubs are full of drunk people. Will probably had some drinks last night too. 90% of the people I heard mention this were comedians, so they are probably more sensitive to it. The fact is that it already happens but now it might be on people's minds more.

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2022, 04:14:46 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Baldness has many causes. Happens in men and women of all ages. When it happens to an "A-List" female celebrity it's a "disease". Lol

It is a disease. I have an acquaintance that works somewhere I stopped in times in the past. Beautiful young woman ( I’m much older) but completely bald. Got to talking snd she was cautiously optimistic about a new person she met . She hav nothing but good and very hopeful things about this love interest but she said even in this encounter and every one she’s ever had she’s had to answer whether she'd had cancer or not.
  Obviously she didn’t think there was anything wrong with people with cancer ( duh I know) but she has to explain herself or has to even deal with it.  I really understand having deep hurt feelings about it. I DID think it was a nasty thing to say. This is something that HAPPENED to someone. It’s just a weird thing to say to a crowd about someone to me.

How tragic! It's just too much suffering for one person to endure in a lifetime. Bahahaha

Here's how I can prove it's not a disease. If given the choice between having alopecia or being a ginger, 100% of guys on here choose alopecia.

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2022, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
This scene comes to mind lol

https://youtu.be/XPV8F48TLJA

about the 3 min mark
Still don't believe in Joe.