Author Topic: HBO Lakers Show "Winning Time"  (Read 10271 times)

Re: HBO Lakers Show "Winning Time"
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 11:53:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Yeah Jerry West is going to have a defamation suit haha wild
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 03:00:53 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Anybody watching this show?
Man they make Jerry West out to be a raging loser...Thoughts?

Jerry West is the only one of that bunch that has any integrity.
He suffered more than any Laker, but didn't make excuses about the Celtics like Pat Riley, Kareem, Wilt, Phil Jackson, Worthy and McAdoo with Riley being the worst. I guess the greatest dynasty in the history of professional sports is too boring for HBO to do a show for.

The Buss family treated West badly, and now the show is.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 03:11:44 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
So, it's 1990 and I'm at a Summer League game in El Segundo (where Hank Gathers Died)...before Vegas took over the summer league games. It costs me $5 for the entire day and you can sit anywhere you wanted to, so I sit at mid court front row for a Celtics/Lakers exhibition game.

Right before tip off, Jerry West walks in and sits right down next to me. I don't say a word to him. After the Celtics make their first basket, I say "Yes!"...and all I hear from West is "Oh no a Celtics fan". I turn to him,smile and say "Since the mid 70's"....Then we proceed to talk Basketball for an entire half...He was super cool with me and I never once acknowledged who he was or even said hello to him.

Summer League was always the best place to meet NBA guys.  8)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:09:25 PM by 86MaxwellSmart »

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 05:46:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So, it's 1990 and I'm at a Summer League game in El Segundo (where Hank Gathers Died)...before Vegas took over the summer league games. It costs me $5 for the entire day and you can sit anywhere you wanted to, so I sit at mid court front row for a Celtics/Lakers exhibition game.

Right before tip off, Jerry West walks in and sits right down next to me. I don't say a word to him. After the Celtics make their first basket, I say "Yes!"...and all I hear from West is "Oh no a Celtics fan". I turn to him,smile a say "Since the mid 70's"....Then we proceed to talk Basketball for an entire half...He was super cool with me and I never once acknowledged who he was or even said hello to him.

That's a pretty awesome story!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 03:33:51 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Right before tip off, Jerry West walks in and sits right down next to me. I don't say a word to him. After the Celtics make their first basket, I say "Yes!"...and all I hear from West is "Oh no a Celtics fan". I turn to him,smile a say "Since the mid 70's"....Then we proceed to talk Basketball for an entire half...He was super cool with me and I never once acknowledged who he was or even said hello to him.

That's a pretty awesome story!

Thanks!, somewhere a have a VHS of that game--don't have time to look for it-but you can clearly see us talking.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 03:51:00 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I can appreciate a well made television show as much as the next guy, but I refuse to watch anything about the Lakers.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2022, 06:26:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Awesome story.  TP!!

Is Jerry West as prickly as he is in "Winning Time"?
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 02:03:27 PM »

Offline IllalwayslikeHavlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 7
Even though I'm a Celtics fan, I love it, and I'm not happy with the casting of Magic Johnson. Not because he is bad, but because the magician's temperament is unique.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I can appreciate a well made television show as much as the next guy, but I refuse to watch anything about the Lakers.
Same. Watching a show that's basically a Laker circle jerk sounds like torture to me.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 02:40:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
They have Chick Hearn portrayed as a huge jerk too. Kinda weird, while Jeanie Buss is the hero.

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 10:15:42 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
It’s actually quite good, particularly four episodes in now that the focus is on the court with training camp. They make Pat Riley look quite pathetic, and everyone else is a jerk (especially The Logo, Cooke, and sadly Red), or a comedian (Buss/Magic). They’re clearly scared to death of being sued by Jeanie Buss lol

Suspect it will only be a two season series, and suspect season one will end with the Celtics beating the Lakers in ‘84. Series finale is Magic’s retirement, of course.

If it’s a big enough hit, it would be cool to see them do another series where it illustrates the Celtics in the 1980s with Bird from the perspective of the Celtics (whereas the current show is clearly from the perspective of the Lakers). No shortage of drama in our story, too. If they did that and it was a hit, too, the natural next story of the ‘50s/‘60s Celtics and Bill Russell. Or maybe that makes sense as the follow-up to this? Either way, basketball is getting some props from this show, and I’m all for seeing basketball continue to grow in popularity (would love to see the NBA one day exceed the NFL in popularity domestically, and basketball exceed the popularity of football/soccer internationally).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 10:23:35 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 07:58:43 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I HATE it that the Lakers oud-dynasty-d us in the 80's. If it wasn't for injuries (Max in '85, Walton in '87, Len Bias...see what Michael Jordan had to say about him playing against each other and how good he thought he was...McHale's broken foot '87..Reggie Lewis starting to drop 18 per night in '88-'89) we may win it in '85 (though even with Max we may get beat), '87 would have been VERY interesting if we had a healthy Walton on the bench with Len Bias against Lakers in their prime. That series may have matched '84 for drama sake.
I don't know about '88. The Lakers were soooo deep. And then the Pistons. They were a problem with so many scorers and a crazy deep bench. The brutality of that team. The C's still would have given them a good run with Bias and now Reggie Lewis getting his minutes off the bench. Just wow what could have been great theater. And if Bias did live and actually hit his ceiling then all bets are off for who was the dynasty of the '80's.

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2022, 02:30:51 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I HATE it that the Lakers oud-dynasty-d us in the 80's. If it wasn't for injuries (Max in '85, Walton in '87, Len Bias...see what Michael Jordan had to say about him playing against each other and how good he thought he was...

“In the 40 years I’ve [coached] at Duke, the two opponents that were the most talented were Michael [Jordan] and Len Bias.”

- Mike Krzyzewski, April 2020

What could have been. RIP Len.

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2022, 05:58:31 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2022, 01:22:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kareem eviscerates the show:

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?s=r
I think that was in part related to Jerry West's demand for an apology, retraction, and damages.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip