Author Topic: Would a team draft an Orthodox Jew (Ryan Turell)?  (Read 10241 times)

Re: Would a team draft an Orthodox Jew (Ryan Turell)?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
He'd miss Friday night and Saturday day games as long as he could figure out the travel and the team was ok with him not showing up for a 24 hour period (and it is more than actually traveling, but how to operate when traveling, like could he stay in a hotel Friday night and all day Saturday or would that cause him an issue - that is what would need to be worked out).  It probably wouldn't be that hard to justify for a team if he was good enough and it isn't like many games are played on Saturday afternoons anyway (this isn't college football).  The occasional missed Friday night game wouldn't be a big deal as long as he was ok playing Saturday games with 7 or 730 start times.

He says he’d walk to Friday night games and play.  I think the big problem is travel, as NBA teams travel frequently on Friday and Saturday.
Well if he'll play than it really shouldn't be an issue.  He just needs his travel to be completed Friday before sundown.  So as long as he is fine with staying in a hotel on the Sabbath and they can find a hotel close enough to the arena, then he shouldn't have much difficulty at all.

I'm not sure it's a non-issue.  The Celtics, for example, have had 5 friday-saturday back-to-backs played in different cities, as well as four other friday night-sunday afternoon games played in different cities.  He'd miss a number of games for any team he played for, as well as have to travel separately (likely missing shootarounds and film sessions) for a number of other games.  For a guy who's not a surefire prospect as is, that's a pretty big concession.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
A similar question came up when Joe Lieberman was running for Vice President, but he said he'd be available on the Sabbath if necessary.

Everyone has their own interpretation of "work" and what it involves. I belong to a conservative synagogue and there's a wide range of people, from those like me (non-Sabbath observant) to those who won't even write. Heck, my Orthodox brother-in-law won't turn on the TV on the Sabbath, but has no problem leaving it on and pre-setting the DVR so that it switches to Yankees games.

Bottom line is that if he gets drafted and wants to play, he'll find a way.

BTW, people should feel free to ask any questions about Judaism that they want in this thread and we'll answer them as best we can. I think people often worry about being viewed as offensive but truthfully, I'm flattered that anyone is interested enough to ask.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2022, 04:40:18 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
A similar question came up when Joe Lieberman was running for Vice President, but he said he'd be available on the Sabbath if necessary.

Everyone has their own interpretation of "work" and what it involves. I belong to a conservative synagogue and there's a wide range of people, from those like me (non-Sabbath observant) to those who won't even write. Heck, my Orthodox brother-in-law won't turn on the TV on the Sabbath, but has no problem leaving it on and pre-setting the DVR so that it switches to Yankees games.

BTW, people should feel free to ask any questions about Judaism that they want in this thread and we'll answer them as best we can. I think people often worry about being viewed as offensive but truthfully, I'm flattered that anyone is interested enough to ask.

Mike
I assume there are travel dispensations for emergencies (emergency room trip, woman giving birth, serial killer/terrorist coming after you).  And a lot of professions would require dispensations for emergency situations. 

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Mike
What's the restriction?  Not being able to push buttons or flip switches? 

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2022, 05:31:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He'd miss Friday night and Saturday day games as long as he could figure out the travel and the team was ok with him not showing up for a 24 hour period (and it is more than actually traveling, but how to operate when traveling, like could he stay in a hotel Friday night and all day Saturday or would that cause him an issue - that is what would need to be worked out).  It probably wouldn't be that hard to justify for a team if he was good enough and it isn't like many games are played on Saturday afternoons anyway (this isn't college football).  The occasional missed Friday night game wouldn't be a big deal as long as he was ok playing Saturday games with 7 or 730 start times.

He says he’d walk to Friday night games and play.  I think the big problem is travel, as NBA teams travel frequently on Friday and Saturday.
Well if he'll play than it really shouldn't be an issue.  He just needs his travel to be completed Friday before sundown.  So as long as he is fine with staying in a hotel on the Sabbath and they can find a hotel close enough to the arena, then he shouldn't have much difficulty at all.

I'm not sure it's a non-issue.  The Celtics, for example, have had 5 friday-saturday back-to-backs played in different cities, as well as four other friday night-sunday afternoon games played in different cities.  He'd miss a number of games for any team he played for, as well as have to travel separately (likely missing shootarounds and film sessions) for a number of other games.  For a guy who's not a surefire prospect as is, that's a pretty big concession.
Sunday games wouldn't be an issue.  He just flies out Saturday night.  He'd have missed 5 games (1 of the 2 Friday/Saturday games), that isn't a big deal. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2022, 05:39:12 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Mike
What's the restriction?  Not being able to push buttons or flip switches?

I think technically, it would be anything that activates electricity. So in this case, both.

As to the previous questions, there are definitely health/life exceptions. For example, when my son ran into a coffee table, my SiL (married to BiL above) had no hesitation about driving to the doctor, who was a friend of hers. The doctor knew immediately that it was an emergency because she lived in a very observant community and nobody else would be ringing the doorbell.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2022, 06:16:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
To answer the title question - if they're good enough.

In the case of this guy, I'm not so sure. I watched a bit of footage, and the competition he was up against was incredibly weak. I'd like to see him try in the G-League first.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2022, 07:38:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Don't we already have Hauser?

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2022, 08:39:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
To answer the title question - if they're good enough.

In the case of this guy, I'm not so sure. I watched a bit of footage, and the competition he was up against was incredibly weak. I'd like to see him try in the G-League first.
I did too and he didn't impress me with such low-level competition. 

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2022, 01:40:59 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

I don't know a ton about Orthodox customs, other than knowing that travel / playing / practicing is prohibited on Shabbat.  Is something like that doable in professional sports?  I know it came up with Sandy Koufax, but that was 60 years ago. 

My memory is that Koufax wasn't particularly religious. When he wouldn't pitch in the World Series due to Yom Kippur, he was trying to set an example for the Jewish youngsters out there.

What a concept.

I just googled it and found an article from Sports Illustrated that tells the story much better than I can.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2015/09/23/sandy-koufax-yom-kippur-1965-world-series

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 11:20:03 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
The answer was “No.”

Looks like the Israeli or G-League is his next option.

https://m.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-710348/amp

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2022, 11:31:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
The answer was “No.”

Looks like the Israeli or G-League is his next option.

https://m.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-710348/amp

The article is tagged “antisemitism”, which seems like a pretty aggressive interpretation of why someone wasn’t the first D3 player drafted in over 20 years, especially considering he was injured throughout most of the pre-draft process.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 01:20:17 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Sorry, I missed that. I just read the story. I guess the Jerusalem Post has a pretty loose definition of the term, because there’s no mention of anti-semitism in the article.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 08:39:29 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

to the bolded above, maybe. first, we are all assuming a level of orthodox behavior when we do not know exactly the level to which he follows or practices. Some adherents of all religions are stricter that others. Maybe he can travel as long as HE does not drive the car, fly the plane, etc.

next, let us assume he turn out to be a good, not great, nba player. maybe the level of grant williams, schroeder, olynyk, alec burk, justin holiday. maybe he would ordinarily be the 2nd or 3rd player off the bench and in your 8 player rotation.

the question i would then ask is this....which would you prefer to have on your team? an good player who misses a game each week. Or, a lesser player who can show up each and every game and play at a lower level?

in the case of the latter (like dominos, Turell would push out the 15th player at the end the bench) that end of the bench player might be available for every game, but would rarely play since they are not good all.

i think the basic priority for me is to get the best players you can. even if they cannot play every game, is having them on the team better than the current 15th player on the roster player?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 09:06:02 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

to the bolded above, maybe. first, we are all assuming a level of orthodox behavior when we do not know exactly the level to which he follows or practices. Some adherents of all religions are stricter that others. Maybe he can travel as long as HE does not drive the car, fly the plane, etc.

next, let us assume he turn out to be a good, not great, nba player. maybe the level of grant williams, schroeder, olynyk, alec burk, justin holiday. maybe he would ordinarily be the 2nd or 3rd player off the bench and in your 8 player rotation.

the question i would then ask is this....which would you prefer to have on your team? an good player who misses a game each week. Or, a lesser player who can show up each and every game and play at a lower level?

in the case of the latter (like dominos, Turell would push out the 15th player at the end the bench) that end of the bench player might be available for every game, but would rarely play since they are not good all.

i think the basic priority for me is to get the best players you can. even if they cannot play every game, is having them on the team better than the current 15th player on the roster player?

Sign you up for Kyrie! ;)