Poll

Should the NBA Repeal the Stepien Rule?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Should the NBA Repeal the Stepien Rule?  (Read 5524 times)

Should the NBA Repeal the Stepien Rule?
« on: February 22, 2022, 07:20:13 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
The Stepien Rule:

“7.03. First Round Draft Choice. No Member may sell its right to select a player in the first round of an NBA draft for cash or its equivalent, or trade or exchange its right to select a player in the first round of any NBA Draft if the result of such trade or exchange may be to leave the member without first-round picks in any two consecutive future NBA drafts.”

Should it be repealed? Why or why not?

Re: Should the NBA Repeal the Stepien Rule?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 07:31:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Teams know the risks of trading away consecutive firsts, so if they're willing to do that—say, for the sake of going "all in" during a given season—I don't see why that should be banned. Especially if it's a small-market team that rarely gets an opportunity to seriously contend.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 07:39:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I don't have strong opinions one way or the other. However, an interesting point that one of the NBA people broad up recently on a podcast is that when you are in a position like David Griffin is currently in New Orleans, you make a trade like the CJ Mcollum trade knowing if it doesn't work out you are out of the job. You could envision a scenario where a GM is completely on the hot seat and would trade like 12 in a row just to try and save their job. It is probably also a bit useful to prevent large market teams from just buying a bunch of picks after trading all of theirs.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 07:46:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it a good rule that saves owners and management groups from themselves, much like the salary cap and luxury tax does. Without these rules in place, team owners may go out and absolutely destroy a franchise's future, much like Stepien did in Cleveland in the 1980's.

Those 70's Cavs teams sucked then Stepien traded away every first round pick from '81 to '85. They stayed awful and didn't start becoming decent again until those picks from '86 on started to hit.

I have no doubt without the Stepien rule a team like Charlotte in a small market with a team owner with an enormous ego would trade every pick away he could to get his team to a certain level. And eventually, it would kill his team. New Orleans is another good example.

I like the rule. No issues with it whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 09:35:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
keep the rule.  as pointed out, keeps bad GMs from torpedoing a franchise for years either through sheer incompetence or a last ditch move hoping to save their job.

suspected who the OP might be when I saw the thread title --> disappointment in reckless/bad trade ideas going nowhere because every pick a team has cannot be offered in trades.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 09:42:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I actually think it can be more crippling for a franchise without in place given that in order to trade 2 picks, you are now 3 years in the future and if you trade 3 1st rounders you are at least 5 years in the future.  That seems like it could be far more crippling than just allowing picks to be traded in consecutive seasons. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 09:50:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I actually think it can be more crippling for a franchise without in place given that in order to trade 2 picks, you are now 3 years in the future and if you trade 3 1st rounders you are at least 5 years in the future.  That seems like it could be far more crippling than just allowing picks to be traded in consecutive seasons.
But it prevents trading 3 1st in 3 years or 5 1sts in 5 years. You seem to be thinking that GMs would just stop trading 1sts because they moved a couple already. That is an extremely bad assumption.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 10:29:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
But it prevents trading 3 1st in 3 years or 5 1sts in 5 years. You seem to be thinking that GMs would just stop trading 1sts because they moved a couple already. That is an extremely bad assumption.
beat me to it -- TP

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 06:59:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Agreed with Nick as well.  The NBA can’t allow shortsighted teams, particularly in small markets, to turn into a dumpster fire.

If I was going to modify the rule, I guess I’d change it to not allowing teams to be without first rounders in three out of six years.  It would give slightly more flexibility without gutting a team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 07:17:20 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Brad would have already traded the Celtics first round picks for the next 10 years, if it wasn't for this rule. We might as well call it the Stevens rule now.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Then stop teams from trading picks more than 3 years out. 

And frankly, who cares.  If a team wants to go for short term gain, why shouldn't they be able to?  I just don't think it is a necessary rule. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 08:28:08 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

And frankly, who cares.  If a team wants to go for short term gain, why shouldn't they be able to?  I just don't think it is a necessary rule.

There will always be dumb teams that make dumb moves, but in order to restrict their dumbness, you shouldn't take tools away from the smart teams.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 09:20:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

There will always be dumb teams that make dumb moves, but in order to restrict their dumbness, you shouldn't take tools away from the smart teams.
inept franchises provide better teams with cannon fodder on the court but weaken the NBA product overall.  the best interest of the league in general is more important than letting teams hiring idiots ruin their franchises for years.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 09:39:32 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

inept franchises provide better teams with cannon fodder on the court but weaken the NBA product overall.  the best interest of the league in general is more important than letting teams hiring idiots ruin their franchises for years.

Furthermore the 'smart teams' are always one executive who feels that their job is in danger from joining the ranks of the dumb.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

This probably gets into a philosophy of business. I tend to believe free competition would promote the best product long-term, and trying to raise the floor of bottom teams through rules like this tends to dilute the overall product long-term. Competition tends to drive things forward.

For example, if a team was shooting below 33% from three on the season, would you cap how many threes all teams could take because their quality of play dilutes the overall NBA product?

It's not a direct comparison I admit, but I think you may get my point. You can't make rules to make sure teams don't do dumb stuff and expect it to benefit the overall game.