Author Topic: Reboots / Revivals Of TV Shows  (Read 6085 times)

Re: Reboots / Revivals Of TV Shows
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 02:18:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I mean, there have been a bunch of examples. Just to list ones I've watched and enjoyed:

Fuller House
Will and Grace
The Conners
Murphy Brown
Saved By the Bell
Punky Brewster

Also, plan to watch Dexter, Frasier, iCarly, and probably even Mad About You. Will see X-Files at some point, too. I don't even really watch much tv outside of Boston sports, but nostalgia is a strong draw for me. I expect even more shows to follow suit at some point. I mean, imagine a Seinfeld or Friends reboot - they would draw record numbers.

I liked the Mad About You revival.  I didn’t care for The Conners; I thought the acting was stilted.  I’ve seen some of the Fuller House and Saved By the Bell stuff, and haven’t cared for it.

Oh, I am not going to claim that they are all objectively great shows, just that they did what they needed in order to make me happy. I'll say that the Will and Grace reboot was the most seamless. The show hadn't been on for 12-13 years and it seemed like they didn't even miss a season. The other shows obviously had more time go by and therefore had to create a newer storyline.

I think I saw the first one or two updated Will and Graces, and they seemed very political.  I don’t recall the original show being quite so overt, although the concept itself probably pushed some buttons at the time.  But I’m hardly an expert.

Yeah, it started out that way, but that was less of a focus as they progressed. Murphy Brown, however, probably went overboard politically, which is why they probably didn't last very long. But like I said, it is like 99% nostalgia for me. I don't like Tim Allen at all, but still watch his xmas movies on occasion and would probably even watch a Home Improvement reboot if it came out.

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 04:01:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
On a related question.  Which is better:  the reboot or the remake?

There have definitely been some creditable movie remakes over the years, but I can't think of a decent TV show that came back better than the original with a whole new cast/theme.

The reboot has the advantage of bringing everyone back who made it a success in the forst place, but it's definitely a challenge for it not to feel forced.

I also am a bit of a sucker for the reunion show (Return to Gilligan's Island anyone??)
Yup

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There have definitely been some creditable movie remakes over the years, but I can't think of a decent TV show that came back better than the original with a whole new cast/theme.

The reboot has the advantage of bringing everyone back who made it a success in the forst place, but it's definitely a challenge for it not to feel forced.

I also am a bit of a sucker for the reunion show (Return to Gilligan's Island anyone??)

I definitely prefer the continuation.  Dr. Who has a pretty cool concept, though.

In terms of remakes of TV shows that were watchable...  Battlestar Galactica?   That's not counting shows that were remade after being in other countries, like The Office and House of Cards.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 05:41:01 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I was a big fan of Lost in Space watching after school TV reruns as a latch key kid. Gilligan’s Island and the Flintstones as well.

I made it through the 1st season of the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix and liked it. About to start the 2nd. Much better than the movie, but it does move away from the original story line with a female Doctor Smith and an alien Robot. The other twist is that Mom and Dad aren’t as much a loving nuclear ‘50s family, they have some modern drama going on.

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 08:50:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I definitely prefer the continuation.  Dr. Who has a pretty cool concept, though.

In terms of remakes of TV shows that were watchable...  Battlestar Galactica?   That's not counting shows that were remade after being in other countries, like The Office and House of Cards.

I was gonna mention Battlestar Galactica earlier in the thread until I re-read your guidelines, but certainly one of the few examples of not only success, but a quality one.

Otherwise, I hate remakes. You mentioned He-Man earlier, one cartoon that was remade that I liked was Thundercats in 2011. I loved that show, but cancelled. If anyone can watch the 4th episode, Song of the Petalars, without crying he has no soul.

Another continuation series that I think hasn't been mention was Veronica Mars. Had a film 6 years after and a new season 12 years after. Haven't seen this latest season though.

Wasn't 5 years, but 4, but we did get that Serenity movie that follows Firefly.

Then there's Psych and the follow up movies.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Apparently they’re doing a limited series reboot of Justified.

After Ray Donovan got cancelled, they just released a movie wrapping the series it.  It was pretty good.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 05:52:54 PM »

Kiorrik

I'm holding out for Airwolf.