Author Topic: Brian Kelly leaving ND for LSU  (Read 3830 times)

Brian Kelly leaving ND for LSU
« on: November 29, 2021, 08:55:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Back to back days of unexpected college football hirings.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Brian Kelly leaving ND for LSU
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:26:21 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Wow !!!!!

Some of these hires have been peculiar.

Kelley to LSU does not seem like a fit, though he probably figured he had done all he could do at Notre Dame. If the Irish want more national titles, they are going to have make a deal with the devil and grab Urban Meyer out of Jacksonville the way Bama pulled Saban back from the NFL. That's exactly what they should be doing right now and Meyer's ego and greed would jump at that opportunity.

Riley to USC ? I don't get it, unless he wants an easier route to the playoff 4 and wants no part of the SEC.

Why Florida did not go after Lane Kiffin, I will never understand. He is Spurrier II with the bonus of being a better recruiter.

It's very nice this time around not having the Vols in the middle of this circus. (unless Oklahoma goes after Huepel)
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:29:11 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I can’t believe these coaches get so much money in college football. It’s disgusting. Dude is going to make $15 mil per to coach a bunch of 18 year olds for football. It’s just wild. Yet tuitions always increase and schools cry for donations. NCAA also gets upset when a kid gets a cheeseburger from a coach and calls it a violation and ruins the kids life. What a sham lol. Players should be taking booster money left and right and not even be sorry about even if you get caught.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
I can’t believe these coaches get so much money in college football. It’s disgusting. Dude is going to make $15 mil per to coach a bunch of 18 year olds for football. It’s just wild. Yet tuitions always increase and schools cry for donations. What a sham lol.

Athletic Department money is completely separate from University money.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 10:36:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I can’t believe these coaches get so much money in college football. It’s disgusting. Dude is going to make $15 mil per to coach a bunch of 18 year olds for football. It’s just wild. Yet tuitions always increase and schools cry for donations. What a sham lol.

Athletic Department money is completely separate from University money.
correct, and that pile of booster donations is hard for a university to walk away from. Plus, TV contracts have a big impact as well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 10:49:48 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
Maybe that’s the problem. They spend more money of athletics than they do academics. All that money and they still don’t give a dime to the athlete.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 10:52:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I can’t believe these coaches get so much money in college football. It’s disgusting. Dude is going to make $15 mil per to coach a bunch of 18 year olds for football. It’s just wild. Yet tuitions always increase and schools cry for donations. NCAA also gets upset when a kid gets a cheeseburger from a coach and calls it a violation and ruins the kids life. What a sham lol. Players should be taking booster money left and right and not even be sorry about even if you get caught.
Haven't seen anything saying he's going to get 15M per year from LSU.  That would be a big escalation.  Although Michigan State paying a 2nd year unproven coach 10yr/95M was ridiculous so who knows.  Based on some of these recent contracts, Saban out to be getting at least 20M/year. 

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 10:57:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Wow !!!!!

Kelley to LSU does not seem like a fit, though he probably figured he had done all he could do at Notre Dame. If the Irish want more national titles, they are going to have make a deal with the devil and grab Urban Meyer out of Jacksonville the way Bama pulled Saban back from the NFL. That's exactly what they should be doing right now and Meyer's ego and greed would jump at that opportunity.

Riley to USC ? I don't get it, unless he wants an easier route to the playoff 4 and wants no part of the SEC.

Why Florida did not go after Lane Kiffin, I will never understand. He is Spurrier II with the bonus of being a better recruiter.

It's very nice this time around not having the Vols in the middle of this circus. (unless Oklahoma goes after Huepel)
Kiffin has plenty of baggage.  He's not a particularly good recruiter. 

I think Kelly is a good hire for LSU.  Better than Riley or Napier would have been.  They need stability and someone to establish a good culture not a young hot shot coach.   

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 02:51:37 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
Wow !!!!!

Kiffin has plenty of baggage.  He's not a particularly good recruiter. 

I think Kelly is a good hire for LSU.  Better than Riley or Napier would have been.  They need stability and someone to establish a good culture not a young hot shot coach.   

Lane Kiffin is a rabid recruiter with a good track record. He signed some serious talent his one season in Knoxville even flipping a couple of Urban Meyer's Florida commitments on signing day. Problem was half those kids were degenerate criminals, some gone by mid-season after they pulled some idiotic armed robbery (pellet gun) in the parking lot of a campus convenient store. One of his other 5-star gems is now serving life for murder in California. Kiffin also started out hot at Southern Cal, but was later handcuffed by severe sanctions that were handed down for Pete Carrol's transgressions. Ole Miss, not being a blue-blood like the other two, will take him more time, but he works recruiting hard. He just led them to their first 10-win regular season in school history. He has shed some of his baggage with his time at Alabama and then as head coach at FIU, showing some maturity and less of the juvenile behavior he displayed early in his career. To me, he is still a little punk without much integrity, but he has toned down the obvious stuff.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 04:05:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Wow!! That is a shocker… but I believe that coaches can’t be hire from another team until after there bowl games..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 08:02:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Wow!! That is a shocker… but I believe that coaches can’t be hire from another team until after there bowl games..
They can and it happens.  Often depends on what the team is doing.  Like if Fickell leaves Cincinnati for Notre Dame, he won't leave until after the playoffs (assuming Cincinnati makes it that is), but if they lose to Houston or otherwise get shafted, then he very well could leave Cincinnati before its bowl game.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 09:03:57 AM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
Yea, I’m currently a grad student at ND. This has totally side tracked everyone. It’s wild.

Kelley is and was loved here. No one gets it.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 09:12:40 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
Haven't seen anything saying he's going to get 15M per year from LSU.  That would be a big escalation.  Although Michigan State paying a 2nd year unproven coach 10yr/95M was ridiculous so who knows.  Based on some of these recent contracts, Saban out to be getting at least 20M/year.
https://twitter.com/tedtatos/status/1465668082911879168?s=21

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
https://twitter.com/tedtatos/status/1465668082911879168?s=21
What ties to college football or LSU does that person have?  You'll note as stated in a tweet below that Brody Miller reported

The #LSU announcement also confirms @Matt_Fortuna and I report of Brian Kelly's salary.
10 years, $9.5 mil per year. Incentives bring it around $100 million.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Hearing that Notre Dame was very worried that Freeman was going to leave so may not be entirely sad that Kelly left as many at the school feel Freeman is the future of ND football.  Freeman is being discussed as a front runner right now as well, which lends some credence to that.  Still think Fickell is going to be a prime candidate though and that worries me as a UC grad.