Author Topic: Olympic Hockey  (Read 5094 times)

Olympic Hockey
« on: February 17, 2022, 10:44:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, full disclosure:  I haven't watched one second of the Winter Olympics.

But, I read an interesting argument today:  to showcase the best of the best in Olympic ice hockey, the IOC should move hockey to the Summer Olympics so that it doesn't conflict with the NHL schedule.  Gary Bettman has apparently pushed this idea.

https://sports.yahoo.com/stubborn-ioc-must-move-mens-hockey-to-summer-olympics-231600640.html

To me, that would be a really good solution.  It doesn't solve most of the problems with the Olympics (like doping and corruption), but it would be cool to see Ice Hockey as a top-tier event again.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Olympic Hockey
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 11:46:05 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Olympic Hockey is usually one of the top sports in the Winter Olympics. Usually they don't have an issue with letting players go. Don't they even do a league break? I think this year is different because of the pandemic and many teams not wanting to take any chances but I think it usually works in the Winter Olympics.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Olympic Hockey is usually one of the top sports in the Winter Olympics. Usually they don't have an issue with letting players go. Don't they even do a league break? I think this year is different because of the pandemic and many teams not wanting to take any chances but I think it usually works in the Winter Olympics.

The league has missed the last two Olympics, and they're not thrilled about the break in their season.  Apparently management would prefer it in the summer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 12:41:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Anything with and only with ice or snow is in the winter Olympics.  No way they move hockey from the winter to the summer given that.  That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some inside sports in the winter olympics.  Maybe the 3 on 3 basketball can be in the Winter Olympics since the NBA guys don't play in that anyway.  It would be kind of cool to showcase that.  You could have volleyball in the winter (you know the team one, still have beach volleyball in the summer).  You start doing things like that, then maybe you can think about moving hockey to the summer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Anything with and only with ice or snow is in the winter Olympics.  No way they move hockey from the winter to the summer given that.  That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some inside sports in the winter olympics.  Maybe the 3 on 3 basketball can be in the Winter Olympics since the NBA guys don't play in that anyway.  It would be kind of cool to showcase that.  You could have volleyball in the winter (you know the team one, still have beach volleyball in the summer).  You start doing things like that, then maybe you can think about moving hockey to the summer.

I think it makes sense to mix and match based upon what seasons are most convenient for the athletes involved, within reason.  (For instance, the winter Olympics are more convenient for MLB players, but it's not necessarily fair to ask a host city to construct baseball stadiums.)

But for hockey in particular, if push comes to shove with the NHL, it's a change that would make sense.  Better showcase for the sport, more player availability, etc.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 01:02:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think it makes sense to mix and match based upon what seasons are most convenient for the athletes involved, within reason.  (For instance, the winter Olympics are more convenient for MLB players, but it's not necessarily fair to ask a host city to construct baseball stadiums.)

But for hockey in particular, if push comes to shove with the NHL, it's a change that would make sense.  Better showcase for the sport, more player availability, etc.
NHL was going to play in the Olympics this year until they shut down their season around Christmas.  had they not lost the games in December, they would have shut down for the Olympics, so I'm not sure it is really that big a deal.  I'm also not sure you really need the NHL guys in the Olympics anyway.  Given all of the best players from all over the world are in the NHL, I don't think it is a real disadvantage for the US, at least comparative to other sports (like basketball would be if the other pro leagues all shut down). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip