Author Topic: I'd take Mobley or Green over Cunningham.  (Read 7529 times)

Re: I'd take Mobley or Green over Cunningham.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If I'm swinging for the fences I probably do take Green and maybe Mobley over Cunningham. But Cunningham is good enough that you can potentially hit a home run on a check swing. So that probably makes him the right pick.

He may be the safest pick. The guy with the highest floor.

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If I'm swinging for the fences I probably do take Green and maybe Mobley over Cunningham. But Cunningham is good enough that you can potentially hit a home run on a check swing. So that probably makes him the right pick.

Safe picks pre-draft almost never make for the best picks 10 years later.

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 01:30:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I think he's a good pick but maybe not the number one pick.

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2021, 01:40:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'm not sure that is true at least when dealing with players that are top 3 type picks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »

• Paul Silas

I'm not sure that is true at least when dealing with players that are top 3 type picks.

I'm not saying you want to be full-on risky, but if one of the lines of reasoning you use to talk yourself into Cade Cunningham is that he is the safe pick, then it seems shaky.

You don't want the riskiest pick (which is why I wouldn't take Green), but honestly, that was the line of reasoning why the Suns took Ayton over Doncic and Young, or the Cavs and Bucks took Wiggins and Parker over Embiid, or the Blazers took Oden over Durant, or the Bucks took Bogut over Paul, etc.

Many of those moves, from my memory, had the following line of thinking. "Yeah, we know some of those other guys have good upside, but we feel like this guy has the highest floor in the draft and has good upside."

I like Cade Cunningham a lot as a prospect, and I would for sure take him over any prospect not named Evan Mobley in this draft or last year's draft. I'm just arguing that this line of reasoning fails to see the significantly high floor that a versatile player like Mobley has, and a significantly higher upside for team success.

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2021, 02:01:01 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is going to be a really interesting draft to look back on in 5 years.

Cunningham is coming into the NBA at the perfect time where plus sized creators are the "it thing". I have very little doubt that he will be an NBA allstar but I have my doubts in his ability to be a star or the center piece of a high level team. He could easily be Evan Turner with a superior perimeter shot. That should project as a peak of 18-20ppg 6rb 4ast type player. Its also interesting how statistically similar Cade is to Jarrett Culver.

Green seems to have that go to scorers mentality and athletic ability that will make him a sports center regular but players can be big time scorers and never winners. Where Cade's game will make him a perfect 2d option on a great team Green may find fitting next to other great players more difficult.

Mobley like Cade has a skill set that the NBA is desperate for right now. Also like Cade he will likely be best served as the 2nd option on a great team. He is comped to both AD and Bosh both are all time great bigs who couldn't win as a teams #1 option.

With all that I can totally see why there has been at least a conversation over who should go #1. Green in theory is the most likely player in this class to reach the level of #1 star on a contender while Cade and Mobley are perfect examples of high end #2 guys.

Looking past the top past the top 3 Suggs is a great 3rd guy option or lower end #2. Barnes is also a likely 3rd option guy but could also just be a high end role player.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2021, 04:47:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'm not saying you want to be full-on risky, but if one of the lines of reasoning you use to talk yourself into Cade Cunningham is that he is the safe pick, then it seems shaky.

You don't want the riskiest pick (which is why I wouldn't take Green), but honestly, that was the line of reasoning why the Suns took Ayton over Doncic and Young, or the Cavs and Bucks took Wiggins and Parker over Embiid, or the Blazers took Oden over Durant, or the Bucks took Bogut over Paul, etc.

Many of those moves, from my memory, had the following line of thinking. "Yeah, we know some of those other guys have good upside, but we feel like this guy has the highest floor in the draft and has good upside."

I like Cade Cunningham a lot as a prospect, and I would for sure take him over any prospect not named Evan Mobley in this draft or last year's draft. I'm just arguing that this line of reasoning fails to see the significantly high floor that a versatile player like Mobley has, and a significantly higher upside for team success.
In your own example, Durant was the safer pick.  Oden was the one with all of the risks because of injuries and yet the Blazers still took him because Oden had the perceived highest ceiling (and you could see in his few games just how good and dominant he could have been).  Embiid only fell to 3 because of injury concerns and then he didn't play for 2 seasons making those concerns come to fruition.  So yes Wiggins and Parker were safer picks, but they were only made because of injury, not risk (and remember that wasn't too far removed from Oden - i.e. big man injuries are no joke).  I don't think you are quite remembering the Ayton/Doncic draft either.  Pretty much everyone said that Doncic was the safest pick in the draft, yet the Suns and Kings didn't take him.  And Ayton could certainly turn out to be a HOF type player (probably not the peak of Doncic, but Houston did alright with Hakeem even if Jordan was better).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »

• Paul Silas

In your own example, Durant was the safer pick.  Oden was the one with all of the risks because of injuries and yet the Blazers still took him because Oden had the perceived highest ceiling (and you could see in his few games just how good and dominant he could have been).  Embiid only fell to 3 because of injury concerns and then he didn't play for 2 seasons making those concerns come to fruition.  So yes Wiggins and Parker were safer picks, but they were only made because of injury, not risk (and remember that wasn't too far removed from Oden - i.e. big man injuries are no joke).  I don't think you are quite remembering the Ayton/Doncic draft either.  Pretty much everyone said that Doncic was the safest pick in the draft, yet the Suns and Kings didn't take him.  And Ayton could certainly turn out to be a HOF type player (probably not the peak of Doncic, but Houston did alright with Hakeem even if Jordan was better).

Again, not how I remember the conversation, but probably not worth arguing about it much.

Oden had some injuries, but there weren't significant concerns about his injuries pre-draft. And I definitely remember people saying Ayton was the safer pick than Doncic, because of Doncic's athleticism and adjustment to the NBA game.

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2021, 08:28:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I’m not much of a scout, but I’m confused by some of the hype.  Mobley is being compared to a hybrid of Anthony Davis and Chris Bosh.  I can’t imagine there being a better prospect than that, and yet he’s projected to go third.
I would say he's more like just 90% of a healthy Anthony Davis on both ends of the floor.  Which is an awesome player.  I don't see him ever becoming an MVP player though.  What I really like about him is his ability to constantly affect the game positively without needing the ball in his hands, kind of like Tim Duncan used to or how Al Horford or Deandre Ayton have recently.
90% of a healthy Anthony Davis isn't an MVP player?!!! First option and winning bias is real lol.
"MVP player" is subjective I suppose. Like some people might say Jimmy Butler is an MVP candidate, some would not. (I would not)
I think 100% of Anthony Davis is a top 5 player in the NBA (no winning or first option bias there). I think 90% of Anthony Davis is a 7-15th best player in the league, which is all-star, all-nba even, but a tier below the true MVP candidates. Like Jimmy Butler tier. That's where I think Evan Mobley ends up.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I’m not much of a scout, but I’m confused by some of the hype.  Mobley is being compared to a hybrid of Anthony Davis and Chris Bosh.  I can’t imagine there being a better prospect than that, and yet he’s projected to go third.

Cade was given the Luka Doncic comparison. I take that over the others.

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2021, 10:30:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Cade was given the Luka Doncic comparison. I take that over the others.
He was wrongfully given that comparison, and it's one he himself hasn't made
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)