Author Topic: With the 45th pick the C’s select..  (Read 19306 times)

Re: With the 45th pick the C’s select..
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2021, 12:05:43 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As the draft nears I’m and rumors of lower level FA signing like Nigel Hayes and a Javote Green are floating around I’m leaning more towards #45 being a draft and stash. I could see this French prospect as a viable option.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/juhann-begarin

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 12:07:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nice job CFan.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2021, 12:07:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As the draft nears I’m and rumors of lower level FA signing like Nigel Hayes and a Javote Green are floating around I’m leaning more towards #45 being a draft and stash. I could see this French prospect as a viable option.

Nailed it!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2021, 12:10:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Interesting Givony is reporting that Begarin wants to come right over to NBA and is willing to play in G-League. Won’t be shocked if he is signed to a 2-way this season with a larger contracted promised for next season. Allows him to develop with the team without taking up a full roster spot.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2021, 12:12:45 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Interesting Givony is reporting that Begarin wants to come right over to NBA and is willing to play in G-League. Won’t be shocked if he is signed to a 2-way this season with a larger contracted promised for next season. Allows him to develop with the team without taking up a full roster spot.

Interesting.  Wonder if he’d be willing to go to the G-League without a 2-way.  He’s so young and raw I really don’t want his contract clock starting early (a 2-way means he’s an RFA next year).

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2021, 12:16:54 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Nice job CFan.

He didn’t post it in the contest thread, but I think he should still win. That’s impressive.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2021, 12:24:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Interesting.  Wonder if he’d be willing to go to the G-League without a 2-way.  He’s so young and raw I really don’t want his contract clock starting early (a 2-way means he’s an RFA next year).
Yeah, I wouldn't want to give out a two-way to him just yet, especially given the amount of more NBA-ready young guys we could offer two-ways to

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2021, 12:28:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Celtic love for French b-ball players continues....
Precursor to re-signing Fournier??

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2021, 12:30:20 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Here’s the scouting report from ESPN’s Mike Schmitz from a month ago.  Note what he was rated at that time:

Juhann Begarin | 6-6 wing | French | Paris Basket | 18.7 years old | 45th overall

In Saint Quentin, France against fellow French prospect Hugo Besson, we saw Begarin play a similar role to one he would play in the NBA, defending the opposing team's best player and getting out in transition to make plays. Begarin limited Besson, one of France Pro B's top scorers, to 5 points on 9 shots in 30 minutes of action, showed off his dynamic speed in the open court, and even made a few impressive passes that he didn't have in his repertoire a season ago. Begarin has the most NBA-ready tools of any international perimeter prospect in the draft at close to 6-6 with a 7-0 wingspan and the foot speed to defend up to three positions when fully motivated. He's an explosive athlete who can play above the rim in space.

Not as energetic of a rebounder and off-ball defender as he could be, if Begarin can buy into consistently being a lockdown defender while continuing to iron out his shooting stroke (32% from 3), it's easy to see him playing a role in the NBA in time. Fellow French wing Timothe Luwawu is proof that if you can defend a couple positions and at least be a threat to knock down open 3s, you'll have a lot of opportunities to stick in the NBA. Begarin's physical tools also closely rival Josh Okogie's at the same stage.

Begarin's handle, touch as a finisher and jumper are still a work in progress. He would benefit from improving his shot prep, speeding up his release, and minimizing the side to side movement on his shooting motion. He's also still learning when to attack, when to facilitate and when to rely on his jumper. But if a team feels the Guadalupe native has enough shooting potential to work with, he's certainly worthy of a second-round pick. Like Prkacin, scouts would be interested to evaluate Begarin in a setting like the NBA combine to see how he stacks up against other young wing prospects in this draft. A couple strong defensive games against college stars could go a long way in solidifying his draft stock.

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2021, 12:35:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Here’s the scouting report from ESPN’s Mike Schmitz from a month ago.  Note what he was rated at that time:

Juhann Begarin | 6-6 wing | French | Paris Basket | 18.7 years old | 45th overall

In Saint Quentin, France against fellow French prospect Hugo Besson, we saw Begarin play a similar role to one he would play in the NBA, defending the opposing team's best player and getting out in transition to make plays. Begarin limited Besson, one of France Pro B's top scorers, to 5 points on 9 shots in 30 minutes of action, showed off his dynamic speed in the open court, and even made a few impressive passes that he didn't have in his repertoire a season ago. Begarin has the most NBA-ready tools of any international perimeter prospect in the draft at close to 6-6 with a 7-0 wingspan and the foot speed to defend up to three positions when fully motivated. He's an explosive athlete who can play above the rim in space.

Not as energetic of a rebounder and off-ball defender as he could be, if Begarin can buy into consistently being a lockdown defender while continuing to iron out his shooting stroke (32% from 3), it's easy to see him playing a role in the NBA in time. Fellow French wing Timothe Luwawu is proof that if you can defend a couple positions and at least be a threat to knock down open 3s, you'll have a lot of opportunities to stick in the NBA. Begarin's physical tools also closely rival Josh Okogie's at the same stage.

Begarin's handle, touch as a finisher and jumper are still a work in progress. He would benefit from improving his shot prep, speeding up his release, and minimizing the side to side movement on his shooting motion. He's also still learning when to attack, when to facilitate and when to rely on his jumper. But if a team feels the Guadalupe native has enough shooting potential to work with, he's certainly worthy of a second-round pick. Like Prkacin, scouts would be interested to evaluate Begarin in a setting like the NBA combine to see how he stacks up against other young wing prospects in this draft. A couple strong defensive games against college stars could go a long way in solidifying his draft stock.
Psychic Schmitz.

Okogie would be a great result for #45

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2021, 12:39:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
His athleticism is palpable.  Reminds me of young Westbrook.  Obviously not at that level, but he really attacks the hoop, and is super quick.  Sounds like his J is like Westbrook's too.

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2021, 12:45:15 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
ESPN’s Givony:

Juhann Begarin has outstanding physical tools, standing 6-foot-6 with a shredded 214-pound frame and a near 7-foot wingspan despite not turning 19 until August. His offensive game is a work in progress, particularly his ball-handling and shot-creation ability, while his jumper is prone to streakiness. When engaged, Begarin can be an outstanding defender, capable of slowing down guards and wings alike, although his intensity level fluctuates and he can still be somewhat naive off the ball.

Few players in his draft range share his upside, as he likely would have entered this upcoming season as a projected top-20 pick had he elected to withdraw his name from the draft at the deadline.

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2021, 12:51:24 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Shooting 60% from the line as a SG/SF does worry me, but his shooting stroke doesn’t look terrible, so hopefully he can fix that. I did notice that he brings the ball down to his knees as part of his shooting motion, which is strange. That’s got to go...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2021, 01:00:11 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Shooting 60% from the line as a SG/SF does worry me, but his shooting stroke doesn’t look terrible, so hopefully he can fix that. I did notice that he brings the ball down to his knees as part of his shooting motion, which is strange. That’s got to go...

He needs a lot of work but he's a physical freak, so that's a start!

I wonder if he'll suit up for the summer league?

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2021, 01:01:53 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

He needs a lot of work but he's a physical freak, so that's a start!

I wonder if he'll suit up for the summer league?

Yeah, it seems he will try to show the Celtics he should come to the states this year by his summer league play.